Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Engine Oil

Featured Replies

This is a stupid question but I don't care.

 

How far can I fill up my engine oil? I've got a KE70 but I was driving around today and I had it in 4th (4speed) and it was wanting to stall... later on I turned a corner in 2nd and it nearly stalled... got home and it stalled... I checked the oil and it was completely empty. I felt pretty stupid. :jamie: So (without looking at the dipstick since it's not accurate enough) how can I tell when to stop filling it up? I know not to go right to the top... but surely there is some generic way of telling?

 

Cheers.

  • Author

I know it is does but as soon as I take it out the oil covers the whole thing, as in it moves down the dipstick. Since it's new oil it's harder to see where it's up to. So I was wondering if there's any way to gauge it without the dipstick?

This is the procedure we do at work for a hilux.

 

Drain oil while its hot, filter change, sump plug in and tight, Put in 5 liters and start it till the oil light goes off, check dip stick than add half a litre and viola its full.

 

You will know when you have put too much in coz the crank will be swimming when you start it, Oil sloshing around. I drove 800km with 5.5 litres in my 4k.

  • Author
You need to let it sit for 5 minutes or so after running to let the oil drain to the sump. Then pull the dipstick, wipe it off, replace for about 10 secs, then take a reading.
Ahhh ok that's what I was forgetting... to run it after putting it in... :hmm: sorry, "oh what a nissan feeling!". :jamie:

 

This is the procedure we do at work for a hilux.

 

Drain oil while its hot, filter change, sump plug in and tight, Put in 5 liters and start it till the oil light goes off, check dip stick than add half a litre and viola its full.

 

You will know when you have put too much in coz the crank will be swimming when you start it, Oil sloshing around. I drove 800km with 5.5 litres in my 4k.

I filled it up but nowhere near to the top and turned the car on and it still made that sloshing noise while idling... is that bad? It's gone away now though. How often should I drain it?
Ahhh ok that's what I was forgetting... to run it after putting it in... :hmm: sorry, "oh what a nissan feeling!". :jamie:

 

I filled it up but nowhere near to the top and turned the car on and it still made that sloshing noise while idling... is that bad? It's gone away now though. How often should I drain it?

Change the oil every 10,000km by the book or 5,000 if you give it some stick regularly, As with filter.

 

Whats the dip stock say ? mine is on the money and its quiet for a k motor.

  • Author

The dip stick says it's full now... but if I look into the engine it's nowhere near the top... but I guess that's why they have dip sticks... to stop dip sticks like me from getting confused... :jamie:

Edited by Mybowlcut

You know that the oil cap is to only put engine oil in right, Its not there to put the dipstick in and measure where the oil is, The oil level is where the dipstick sits in the tube.

Where are you looking into the engine?......the oil cap?

 

If so, you shouldnt be able to see any oil except for the residue on the rockers. Engines are only meant to carry oil in the sump....then the oil pump does the rest when the engine is running.

Agreed with Xany.

 

Also with new oil, you stated it's hard to see. Take the dip stick out, Give it a good clean with a rag. Then put it in the hole, take it out again. Now you might want to do this in sun light.. try and reflect the oil with the sun and it should be a little easier to see. I have had the same problem checking new Fords all the time.

 

 

Oh, and try not to fill the engine all the way up to the oil cap with oil.. I am pretty sure that wouldn't be a good idea. I haven't done it yet, so I can't say what happens. But I am pretty sure something will REALLY go wrong. Lol.

Easy it wont start if the engine is full to the top, I doubt it would crank over.

Deleted

Edited by Sbox

  • Author
You know that the oil cap is to only put engine oil in right, Its not there to put the dipstick in and measure where the oil is, The oil level is where the dipstick sits in the tube.
Yeah I only put the dipstick in it's hole haha.

 

 

Where are you looking into the engine?......the oil cap?

 

If so, you shouldnt be able to see any oil except for the residue on the rockers. Engines are only meant to carry oil in the sump....then the oil pump does the rest when the engine is running.

Shouldn't be able to see any oil? Oh crap. I didn't fill it anywhere near the top like I said, but I can see it... perhaps I've filled it too far. I've checked then and the oil goes probably double the max... Didn't know that about the sump thing thanks for that!

 

 

Agreed with Xany.

 

Also with new oil, you stated it's hard to see. Take the dip stick out, Give it a good clean with a rag. Then put it in the hole, take it out again. Now you might want to do this in sun light.. try and reflect the oil with the sun and it should be a little easier to see. I have had the same problem checking new Fords all the time.

 

 

Oh, and try not to fill the engine all the way up to the oil cap with oil.. I am pretty sure that wouldn't be a good idea. I haven't done it yet, so I can't say what happens. But I am pretty sure something will REALLY go wrong. Lol.

Cheers that's a good idea.

 

 

You should start thinking about a new engine, when you run engines out of oil you generally destroy them. If you are lucky, it will limp along until you get another engine (very lucky).
New engine??? Ahhh! Are you serious? How much will a 4k engine set me back? I really don't have the money to buy a new engine.. I'm still in debt from the Superlites...

Edited by Mybowlcut

Bah, Just because it was reading on the dip stick doesn't mean it had no oil in it. Stop scaring the guy Sbox.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.