Trouble In Paradise

And I thought I was going to have a boring holiday...

Felt the Indonesia quake at 6 something in the morning... the wave hit around 9.30.

All in all, the situation here on Male is not too bad, as we have two breakwaters in addition to the reef for protection. Some of the other islands were not too lucky, with about 6 or 7 people reported dead already. Some property damage, destruction of food stores, the sort of thing that happens when a tidal wave washes over a low lying island.

Photos and more info are available.

Members dont see this ad

Yeah, luckily, My island got off easy. The worst of the damage was limited wo within a few streets of the shore.

Other islands, however, not so lucky.

I am bloody exhausted. Spend half the day at one of the schools where clothing is being organised for for flood victims, and spent a few hours at the airport waiting for rellies to arrive.

More at http://wyldephyre.deviantart.com/journal/4167070/

Just got back from New Mexico, I was really worried!!! Called the Maldives emergency hotline to see if you were okay but since I don't have your Maldives address or phone number that wasn't very useful, and all they could tell me was that you weren't on the casualty list - yet.

Sri was also meant to go to Phuket next week, glad she wasn't already there...

Anyways, glad you're okay...

Thanks, guys.

The death toll here was around a 100, last time I checked, with around the same number missing. I've tuned out of the news as well. Thousands are still homeless, though, and sleeping on on the beach under sails, or have been evac'ed to the schools here. Sleeping on the beach might seem fun, except it's the wet season and it's raining. I tell you, there's gonna be a whole lot of miserable people out there...