Combining Fwd And Rwd Water Setups On A 4age

Golberg

I was reading a for sale ad on AE86DC, what caught my eye was that somebody said the RWD 4AC pump and rear housing were the same as the RWD 4AGE variety. Since I happen to have both I compared the 2 and yes they are almost exactly the same, the main difference I can see is that the bit which the cam cover seal is supposed to sit on is different between the 2. Obviously this means you can basically get a RWD water pump setup for your 4AGE of your old 4AC. The biggest snag I can see is the FWD top water outlet wont match up to the RWD water pump housing :no2: . Now I'm not sure if anybody has tried this before but I had an idea to fix the problem. I've taken a few pics on a bare engine so people can see easier.

I've circled what bits need to be joined and given a few different angles to give some perspective.

P3200192.jpg

P3200188.jpg

P3200193.jpg

And here is one with the original pipe:

P3200191.jpg

Note: this is a small port, I don't know if the FWD big port's have the same outlet arrangement

Getting to the point, I was after an opinion as to weather or not people though it would be possible to shorten the original pipe and bend it around to meet the RWD housing. The main problem I can see occurring is that the rather tight bends required will impede the flow of coolant, what do people think? Is there any other way people can think to connect the 2 bits together?

Why not just get a RWD outlet you ask? Because then you need a RWD alternator bracket to go with it. :sob:

Thanks for your help

Edited by Golberg

Members dont see this ad

The 4ac & 4age rwd housings are totally different, You can't combine a 4ac setup with the 4age engine as the alternator can't sit on the exhaust side of the engine, If it was all that easy i would not have spent what i have on converting my engine to a brand new rwd 4age setup.

After sitting an alternator up where the thermostat is supposed go with the FWD alt brackets I can see that the thermostat would hit on the alt. Well that brings a quick end to that idea. Have I got my wires crossed then? Is the housing you see there not a RWD 4AGE one? I was lead to believe it was because it came with a RWD 4AGE pump.

After sitting an alternator up where the thermostat is supposed go with the FWD alt brackets I can see that the thermostat would hit on the alt. Well that brings a quick end to that idea. Have I got my wires crossed then? Is the housing you see there not a RWD 4AGE one? I was lead to believe it was because it came with a RWD 4AGE pump.

Thats a 4a rwd one, I will get some pics of the differences and post them up shortly.

Ok as it would seem, The 4A & 4AGE rwd housings are the same (I thought the single bolt pipe was the rwd 4age but its the front one) but the pumps are different to allow for the different cam covers. The reason why the top outlet does not line up with the water pump housing is the head width vs top outlet offset.

post-1373-1206008666_thumb.jpg

post-1373-1206008725_thumb.jpg

Edited by Trev

i don't understand why people don't just use all fwd stuff and make it suit rwd?

Cause some people wanna do it properly.

Golberg if you do wanna use a FWD setup let me know and i i will send you pics of the setup I'm running on my other car, Just takes a few mods and its a better setup than most of the remote systems i have seen.

Cause some people wanna do it properly.

Golberg if you do wanna use a FWD setup let me know and i i will send you pics of the setup I'm running on my other car, Just takes a few mods and its a better setup than most of the remote systems i have seen.

Trev ., I'd like the info on the setup as well

cheers

frosty

Trev ., I'd like the info on the setup as well

cheers

frosty

No worries, I will PM you some pics.

properly? its not rocket science and its just a corolla.

If its just a corolla then why are you getting so serious?

You have your way, Others have a different way.

That'd be good if you could, although I will still probably end up using a RWD system because I do have quite a bit of what is necessary to do so. Maybe you'll convert me though :cool: