Doogs' Ke20 - Lke020

Doogs

loving the direction you are going mate..!

Thanks mate, I reckon there is something cool about sticking with the K series!

After seeing what guys like Philbey and Kickn5k (Stu) have achieved with 5k's I reckon I should be able to make enough power for the car to be a bit of fun.

I have a feeling I'm gonna like the induction noise when it's naturally aspirated though, so boost will be a fair way down the track! With my current plans the bottom end should suit both setups, so when the time comes I will just need to swap heads, induction setup and the cam. The rest of the motor should be able to stay together.

Members dont see this ad

After a bit of stuffing round we managed to track down some other rings to suit the +0.040'' bore. They even look like they have been on the shelf for a while lol as the paper in the box was starting to yellow etc!

2013-06-13085416_zpsa0af930b.jpg

I'm also looking at getting an MSD 6AL2 Programmable ignition system, not only will this perform well with the new motor but should provide adjustable ignition retarding when I set the motor up for boost. Bit of a pricey bit of gear but at least it will last for the long term.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

I have been a bit slack with updates.

I have changed the look of the front end of the car by fitting these and wiring them with a few fuses/relays to suit.

943267_10200846187069879_352535386_n_zps77e6254c.jpg

These goodies have also arrived;

DSC03939_zps4275e31e.jpg

Cheers for the shocks Adam.

The new engine mounts are from Summit in the US, it is amazing the amount of stuff there is on there for old Corollas!

Well worth a browse.

I have chosen a solid cam profile and that should be finished shortly, then I need to work on the head and induction side of things before screwing it all together. The cam should come on pretty strong at about 3,000 rpm and then drop off at about 6,500, hopefully about right for my application.

• Upvote 1

Wow! Just read the build from start to finish and it truly is inspirational man! The amount of time and effort that you put into the paintwork is so motivating, yet daunting, because I have several spots on my ke35 that I need to tap out and repaint at some stage. I'm just afraid it will go in the direction of a full respray and I definitely don't have the money for that on VERY casual part-time rates haha! Honestly though, most of your photos don't seem to do the car justice! Before seeing close ups of the paint and the details of the bumper, lights and grille I couldn't understand why the car won car of the year. To me it just looked like a stock ke20, but its not until you see the details and the areas where you obviously spent countless hours perfecting, when you realise the understated beauty of the craftsmanship and dedication put into the car. I couldn't even imagine what this would look like in person! You deserve a huge pat on the back, because this thing really is - in all honesty - one of the most beautiful cars, let alone corollas, that I've ever seen! You're a lucky guy to own such a masterpiece!

Wow! Just read the build from start to finish and it truly is inspirational man! The amount of time and effort that you put into the paintwork is so motivating, yet daunting, because I have several spots on my ke35 that I need to tap out and repaint at some stage. I'm just afraid it will go in the direction of a full respray and I definitely don't have the money for that on VERY casual part-time rates haha! Honestly though, most of your photos don't seem to do the car justice! Before seeing close ups of the paint and the details of the bumper, lights and grille I couldn't understand why the car won car of the year. To me it just looked like a stock ke20, but its not until you see the details and the areas where you obviously spent countless hours perfecting, when you realise the understated beauty of the craftsmanship and dedication put into the car. I couldn't even imagine what this would look like in person! You deserve a huge pat on the back, because this thing really is - in all honesty - one of the most beautiful cars, let alone corollas, that I've ever seen! You're a lucky guy to own such a masterpiece!

Thanks for the kind words mate, I'm really humbled!

Seriously think about giving it a crack, before I did this build I had no experience with any of this stuff either! As for funds I'm still at uni and also on casual wages, it's all possible if you take your time and do what you can without paying others. I still have a lot planned for this car to try and give it a bit of it's own character and lose the stigma of 'just another white KE20'. Buying my MR2 has slowed things a bit as now I have two money pits! lol

Cheers,

Doogs

Hey guys,

Picked up my cam yesterday and the specs are as follows;

1326_10200932574989523_322394787_n_zps77e32f93.jpg

Should come in pretty strong at about 3,000rpm and peak at 6,500, can't wait! :D

Gonna get some more lows happening shortly and some camber up front, gotta buy a manifold and start porting too..

I also have a rear sway bar on the way, B-rad and myself have just ordered them through Signature Swaybars.

• 5 weeks later...

Been plugging away at the motor again, but it's gonna be slow progress for a while now that I'm back at uni after the break.

Yesterday I dummy assembled crank/rod/piston to measure the deck height in each bore, The piston was about 0.007" from the top of the bore in #1 and a little closer in #2 and #3. #4 was between 0.006-0.008".

I'm gonna drop off #2 and #3 on Monday for a very light skim, just so they are all even. Once they come back there will be a bit more stuffing round with dummy assemblies, just to check there is plenty of clearance to the valves and not a stupidly high comp ratio. I'm a bit worried about the comp at the moment!

The head worked out at around 19cc per chamber, still need to check the pistons and calculate what comp we get with the overbore etc.

DSC04016_zps57629996.jpg

Today we cut and shut the sump giving it about an inch more depth, this should give me another 750ml-1L extra capacity. I will also modify the oil pickup to account for this extra depth and reduce the chance of oil surge. A few baffles will be added whilst we are at it, but the extra depth rather than adding width should mean there isn't to much slosh across car.

DSC04017_zpsaf10f3b1.jpg

DSC04020_zpscd95b8d3.jpg

Mum's cousin has been giving me a few pointers through this process, and it has been great picking up a few old tricks from him.

Edited by Doogs
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have since bought a 3K Bigport head after ccing both that and a regular 3K head. Compression will now be at 10.5:1 which is just what I'm after. The larger ports should also be of benefit with my bigger cam, will still give them a bit of a cleanup regardless. I will also upgrade the stem seals after hearing of how poor the 3K ones are compared to later model K series ones.

I have also fitted new shocks all round and the car is behaving a lot better!

2013-08-24204516_zps051ea564.jpg

Fronts are 'rear' shocks to suit USDM 1986 AW11 from Summit, there is no such part number in Australia. I made some spacers to sit underneath as they are a bit shorter than the KE20 ones.

2013-08-31173923_zps3b2cb921.jpg

Rear shocks are Celica shocks courtesy of Adam (silverra23), now he has upgraded to Shockworks gear. They fitted perfectly once I trimmed the lower bushes down a bit.

It was quite a pain in the arse to undo these nuts on the struts, until I fashioned up the following tool.

2013-08-25134540_zpsdcae5a5c.jpg

As you can see the shocks were totally stuffed! No pressure and instead of self extending the fell limply as I pulled them out of the car. Must have been the originals I think.

2013-08-26182019_zps374f876e.jpg

2013-08-26182029_zpsc5656136.jpg

In the next week or so I will finally upgrade my front brakes (cheers for the calipers etc Paul). They will consist of;

rebuilt KE70 Panelvan calipers + new rotors, KE20 hubs, trimmed EBC Red Cortina pads.

2013-09-10201021_zpsf036bd7d.jpg

I also have some R31 Pintara LCA's I plan on modifying to fit, in order to get some camber cheaply. Longterm I will have an LSD, 4x114.3 all round, coilover front, vented brakes and most likely some rebuilt SSR MKIII's. This will be a good few grand of spending though so I'm putting it off for a while.

I also need to get my arse into gear and paint my fiberglass TE27 lip and fit it up.

Repping AMEP gear on Saturday as I handed out how-to-votes for the election.

2013-09-07074416_zps341d39b2.jpg

My swaybar should also arrive soon I hope, he has been telling us 'next week' for a few weeks now..

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

What wheels are they? very nice

Cheers,

Hayashi Street replicas, in hindsight they are a pretty poor size/offset. I know more now than I did then!

I'd love a wide set of Hayashi's but think I will probably end up with a set of SSR MKIII's eventually. I'd like to be running 7s or 7.5s up front and 8S or 9s on the rear.

When I measured it a few weeks back there is heaps of room in the rear arches, not so much in the front.