Te72 Cooling Issue

Des

Hey Hey,

My t18 gets a wee bit hot. Normal driving too and from work etc it sits on 1/4 on the highway but as soon as i get into the slightest traffic jam or start driving through suburbia it heats up to about 3/4 then i turn it off and the water in the over flow is boiling.

The clutch fan was f@$ked as i could grab it with my hands and hold it still at idle and still have my fingers attached. I replaced it with a 12 inch thermo fan. Wired up properly using a relay and fuse etc but no thermo switch so it runs constantly with the ignition on which I'm ok with. Still heats up to 3/4 just takes 30 mins give or take of suburbia/traffic driving for it to get there.

Thermostat is working fine and it has coolant in the system so why ?

Members dont see this ad
Hey Hey,

My t18 gets a wee bit hot. Normal driving too and from work etc it sits on 1/4 on the highway but as soon as i get into the slightest traffic jam or start driving through suburbia it heats up to about 3/4 then i turn it off and the water in the over flow is boiling.

The clutch fan was f@$ked as i could grab it with my hands and hold it still at idle and still have my fingers attached. I replaced it with a 12 inch thermo fan. Wired up properly using a relay and fuse etc but no thermo switch so it runs constantly with the ignition on which I'm ok with. Still heats up to 3/4 just takes 30 mins give or take of suburbia/traffic driving for it to get there.

Thermostat is working fine and it has coolant in the system so why ?

I've got the same issue with my T18... doesn't like traffic... Check the flow of your radiator... if it's not flowing through all the bars, you aren't getting full cooling capacity regardless of how well you've got air passing through...

Something else i've noticed with mine, and I theorise here, the oil pump is not holding good pressure at idle... less oil means more wear and more heat from the engine.

I've spoken to one other T18 owner who says it's not an uncommon problem. What is your oil pressure reading at idle? you'd be wanting it as close to the 2 as possible at idle. (mine is sitting just above 0, so she's ready for a new pump i think)

hope this helps... If you come across any other info, i'd like to hear it too... been struggling to find T series info.

Oh, another thought... is your thermostat and temp gauge working? Usually i can get mine into the bottom of the red and she's still not boiling up... could be thermostat blocking flow and temp sensor not the best. Just a random thought...

Oil pressure sits on about 1.5.

I'm going to flush out the system with the stuff you buy in the bottles, Super cheap sells it and then i will refill it with coolant/water and see how it goes.

Mine boils when the gauge reads just over half.

Are you watching an aftermarket gauge or a 20 something year old factory one. If youre still using the factory one, please fit a decent one with actual numbers to read.

Check the condition of the radiator like old mate said. Run muckowt through it and change thermostat to be sure.

Good luck cuz, other than the basics which apply to all motors, I know SFA about T motors.

Edited by LittleRedSpirit

Cleaned out the radiator today and alot of red mud came out :D but its all out now and it sits on 1/4 when ever the car is moving and 1/2 when its idle for long periods. Heats up when doing skids though but i expect that.

Cleaned out the radiator today and alot of red mud came out :D but its all out now and it sits on 1/4 when ever the car is moving and 1/2 when its idle for long periods. Heats up when doing skids though but i expect that.

Sounds a bit better. Might need to do over at some point. See how clean the coolant stays this week. A re-core would do wonders.

a bigger and newer radiator? could be a cheap alternative to getting one re-cored..

my radiator is mc'shit and it gets hot, even in the cold tassie weather. the little fins are disintegrating so ill be looking for a upgrade soon. i also have a thermo fan on it.

you might want to have it on a switch, so that it warms up faster on start up, the faster the motor gets upto temp the better.

doesn't matter what the gauge says if you can hear it boiling it hot!

a high pressure cap will also help to raise the boiling point, as to buying the concentrate coolant and mixing it to the strong mixture. do not mix it stronger than recommended because this can actually reduce the cooling effect.

when i flush my radiator i run water threw the radiator until its clean. don't forget to crank your heater as well when running the flush.

I have it running all the time and its warm by the time i turn around and get to the end of my street and thats about 40 metres away so that not an issue.

Going to hunt around a wreckers soon and dig up a bigger radiator in good nick or buy a new bigger one.

• 5 weeks later...

hey there

i would take it to a pro radiator shop cause the will whip the tanks off and clean it properly but if you want it like new get it acid dipt . that s@#t eats every thing but metal but its up to you

• 3 weeks later...
nice. do you have a thermo fan?? ive got one on my 3t and it makes a big difference in traffic, especially in summer. ive never seen my temp get near half way with the fan, i love my fan, if i could bolt four of them to the radiator i would.

Yeah i have a 10 inch fan, Its going non stop and it sits on 1/4 even during skids :bash:

• 1 year later...

I know this thread is old but would rather post on this than start a new thread but I drove my car down to the transport dep. to transfer the rego from NSW (still has NSW rego on it) to QLD and the thermostat gauge didn't move at all, so I'm wondering what could be wrong I checked the overflow and it was nearly down to the low mark and I just topped it up a week ago, but this is the first time the gauge has not moved since I bought it usually it sits just over a quarter of the way up. Anyway if anyone has some ideas or things to check ill have a look at it tomorrow.

Thanks, Jake.

Edited by 19914afc