12a Into Ke30

RUNNIN LOW

hey guys/girls

I'm new to the corolla forum so i don't no if there is already a thread up here about this and if there is could some one point me in the rite spot to find it

I'm sure someone or many people have done it.

i have a 12a with 5speed seires 4/5 box that I'm about to slot in my ke30 can any one tell me if it will fit or do i have to mod my gearbox tunnel?

and also any hidden extras i might of forgotten about

i have built a few custom cars before so I'm not scared to chop stuff out i would just like to no first

any help would be great

thanks Steve

Members dont see this ad
hey guys/girls

I'm new to the corolla forum so i don't no if there is already a thread up here about this and if there is could some one point me in the rite spot to find it

I'm sure someone or many people have done it.

i have a 12a with 5speed seires 4/5 box that I'm about to slot in my ke30 can any one tell me if it will fit or do i have to mod my gearbox tunnel?

and also any hidden extras i might of forgotten about

i have built a few custom cars before so I'm not scared to chop stuff out i would just like to no first

any help would be great

thanks Steve

I have mine in the shop at the moment for this conversion. 12a N/A - Series 5 Turbo Box

Definately will need the tunnel raised.

Custom engine mounting blocks on the front chassis rails

Custom front mount plate on the engine

Custom Gearbox Cross Member

Custom Extractors and exhaust

Relocate the heater / go aftermarket

Upgraded diff would be a very good idea (I have a shortened R31 Skyline LSD)

The list goes on, but you get the idea.

The pics are from a NZ blokes setup, and are similar to what my engineer approved.

post-336-1221043840_thumb.jpg

post-336-1221043852_thumb.jpg

post-336-1221043861_thumb.jpg

post-336-1221043869_thumb.jpg

Most rotor guys will tell you a series 5 turbo box is major league overkill with a 12A, and early series RX7 boxes are signifcantly smaller than a series 5 turbo box. AFAIK a series 1 (and maybe series 2) RX7 box will fit the tunnel with no (or minimal) mods. I'm not a guru with rotors so check Ausrotary, maybe save a lot of hassle/work?

With mine i cut the middle of the front x/member out so the motor sat lower, about 20mm off the steering arm. then braced and boxed the x/member to strengthen it. i'm running a front mounted series 5 13bt, series 5turbo box with rx4 bellhousing and i didn't touch the tunnel. it has about 10mm clearance between the top of the box and the tunnel.

i'll take a few snaps after work and post them up to show you what i mean.

Most rotor guys will tell you a series 5 turbo box is major league overkill with a 12A, and early series RX7 boxes are signifcantly smaller than a series 5 turbo box. AFAIK a series 1 (and maybe series 2) RX7 box will fit the tunnel with no (or minimal) mods. I'm not a guru with rotors so check Ausrotary, maybe save a lot of hassle/work?

A series 5 turbo box is not major overkill if you are sporting a large port job and a decent clutch. Especially if the car will get some track work.

Considering the amount of fabrication that goes into the project, you may as well buy the best gearbox to suit and fabricate the one set of mounts and one tailshaft. Rather than breaking gearboxes and having to swap them out every few months. I've heard blokes breaking S1&2 boxes monthly.

12at boxes are getting pricey and rare if your in a rush for one.

S1 gearboxes are smaller......but they are still larger than a K gearbox and just about as strong (not very).

I've had a S1 box bolted to my 12a and sitting in the engine bay with the sump hard on the cross member and the gearbox hard up against the roof of the tunnel. The engine cross member either had to be cut and lowered, or the trans tunnel had to be raised as the engine had quite a few degrees of downward slope. You can imagine the s5 box was not any better.

• 2 weeks later...

ok it was not hard to do just i a few issueswith cross member as i had an rx2 sump on it and land right on the cross member so i chopped it out and plate it look wicked and then it fitted no probs but then i found rx4 sump that is perfect for the rollas and put that on now i have stacks of room.

good week end mission i started it thursday and a few hrs sleep and finished it this morning

Edited by RUNNIN LOW

ok guys 3 blown diff in 2 days put a new one in out of a auto lwer gears and welded it plated it hardcore. it lasted a night so thats more than any others have lol. it will be coming off the rd in a few weeks to get mini tub to get a few more inchs under the back. with a chopped up lux diff. the 12a is running sweet as fingers crossed