Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

5k Trouble

Featured Replies

Normally the best turbo cam is a standard cam! yes.gif

 

funny about that,

 

would the same thing apply to a low boost supercharged setup

 

like 4psi-ish?

  • Replies 39
  • Views 20.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

well.. I'm looking for a stock 5k camshaft..

 

Can anyone help me out?

 

Cheers, Gerard

 

Is it a hyraulic cam or have you changed to a solid cam setup? as i have a mild CROW CAMS hydro that i pulled out to do my sc setup. It wasnt too nasty and had

a calm idle and a heap of torque down low.

 

What I'm using thanks to the advice of TAZ RX and MADROLLA68 is a std 5K bottom end with 4K flat top piston head, a 4k CLIVE CAMS regrind cam, CHEV/HOLDEN v8 lifters,4k adj rockers and datsun A12 pushrods(thanks kangaroosa!!).Intake wise i have a 7K-E efi manifold, prehistoric Microtech D5 fuel only ecu and sc/12 supercharger.

Not too sure what that works out compression wise but i know just from looking that there would be around 15-20cc difference in the head chamber may help your compression problem.

I hope too have the sc on soon, but at moment its just low comp N/A too iron out any bugs. I`ll update my rides thread when its done and dyno`d.

 

Good luck solving your problems, mine have only to start.

 

stu.

  • Author

How can you tell if its a hydraulic cam or a standard?

 

whats the difference?

Is it a hyraulic cam or have you changed to a solid cam setup? as i have a mild CROW CAMS hydro that i pulled out to do my sc setup. It wasnt too nasty and had

a calm idle and a heap of torque down low.

 

What I'm using thanks to the advice of TAZ RX and MADROLLA68 is a std 5K bottom end with 4K flat top piston head, a 4k CLIVE CAMS regrind cam, CHEV/HOLDEN v8 lifters,4k adj rockers and datsun A12 pushrods(thanks kangaroosa!!).Intake wise i have a 7K-E efi manifold, prehistoric Microtech D5 fuel only ecu and sc/12 supercharger.

Not too sure what that works out compression wise but i know just from looking that there would be around 15-20cc difference in the head chamber may help your compression problem.

I hope too have the sc on soon, but at moment its just low comp N/A too iron out any bugs. I`ll update my rides thread when its done and dyno`d.

 

Good luck solving your problems, mine have only to start.

 

stu.

 

If you use a STD head gasket it will be around 8.2:1 depending on how much the head has been shaved and what the piston height is.

 

MAtt

  • Author

The Compression test came back all good, he said it got good low compression (don't know ratios)

 

I haven't touched the motor when i got it so i would say they would still be hydraulic!

 

I will need to take the efi off and have a look tonight.

 

Also kickn5k would that mild cam be ok for the turbo?

 

Cheers, Gerard

The Compression test came back all good, he said it got good low compression (don't know ratios)

 

I haven't touched the motor when i got it so i would say they would still be hydraulic!

 

I will need to take the efi off and have a look tonight.

 

Also kickn5k would that mild cam be ok for the turbo?

 

Cheers, Gerard

 

 

I would say the cam MIGHT be ok for boost(i am unsure of its specs though). If it is big power your after then id go a regrind cam for boost."just my two cents worth"

There are a few cam grinders around that can do that for you. I use Clive Cams in VIC there number is (03) 9758 - 5977 or you could try Wade(VIC) or Tige cams(QLD) I don't

have there contact deatails but they both have comprehensive web site. I have used all three and all are great to deal with. i just use Clive as he is prepared to get a little more custom on grinds than the others.

Hope that helps.

 

stu.

 

p.s. Thanks for that info Matt i guessed about 8.6 : 1 without measuring the pistons so i supose i was pretty close.

  • 7 months later...

my turbo used to stall at idle sometimes with 5k factory cam, got a turbo grind done it it and i couldnt believe the differance, it went heaps harder and turbo was spinning proply at idle, 5k cams are designed for low down torque in vans, not something you need in a nice light rolla

 

i still had good low down power aswell, could still cruise up hills at low rpm

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.