Evo 9

demuire

I know this is a Toyota forum, but I don't care. I want one of these...

00.jpg

index_topphoto.jpg

exterior01_i01.jpg

exterior01_i02.jpg

rai-05-003_2.jpg

rai-05-003_1.jpg

82738.jpg

It's just been released in Japan, with the top of the line model (GSR) going for about AUD43K. There are 2 models under that, the RS (race) and GT (race + options). Mitsubishi Australia is expected to bring these in later this year as a "normal" model (and not a special import as the Evo 6.5 and Evo 8 was), and is supposed to price the Evo 9 at about $55K. Not sure which model this is.

Now with a titanium aluminum & magnesium alloy turbo (standard on GT and RS, option on GSR), it pulls maximum torque (406nm) at 3000RPM instead of 3500RPM as was in the Evo 8. Max power is still the same at 206kw at about 5000RPM.

Oh Yummy. Subipoo, watch your back, the Evolution is coming to get you :dance:

Edited by demuire

Members dont see this ad

i dunno about the ghey foglights next to the intercooler (or it could be good, bigger IC and you lose your spotties) but i'd take one, those pumped angular rear quarters look KILLER :dance: i actually don't mind the current lancer whatever they're called. CEs always looked a bit crap, prior ones were lame except the first GSR type one, but these new ones have a fairly attractive shape, especially the rear end. not common for a new car

most journalists' biggest gripe about the evos is their interior is just a lancer with seats, and i have to agree. it's a racecar, like i care about the time and overly large aircon buttons and a double height stereo. lets have more gauges and a battery cutoff and extended function trip computer

6.5 was about $80K, 8 was about $60K. Both were special imports, so were more expensive than they really should be... Especially the 6.5. I think Mitsubishi Australia made a HUGE mistake about the pricing on that one.

The 9 is priced to obliterate the STi.

Edited by demuire

Watch the results of any tarmac rally worldwide, and tell me what cars you see at the top of the leaderboard. Tarmac rallies are notorious for being very hard on the car (as are any sort of rallies), and unlike F1 or other similar motorsport, tarmac rallies aren't filled with company sponsored cars that have so much whizbang in them that they cost the earth and aren't anything like what you can get on the road. In fact, a lot of tarmac rally cars aren't too far off from what you'd see at any car enthusiast meet, just with a lot more safety gear. After all, in theory all tarmac rally cars are road registerable cars.

Without fail, you'll definately see two cars in the top-10:

Porsche (of some sort, be it GT3, GT2 etc)

Evo

If nothing at all, goes to say that not only do they perform well, they can take a beating. You don't often see other cars like WRX's (and surprisingly GTR's) because they either don't perform, or they don't go the distance.

As for price, like Jamie said, you pay for what you get.

What amazes me about the Evo IX is that it now has MIVEC (finally), but only makes 206kW and 405Nm. The Evo VIII (without MIVEC) made 206kW and 393Nm. I can't remember exactly how MIVEC works (I understand VVT & VTEC, not MIVEC), but the impression I've got is that they should be able to make significantly more power. And don't go on about the Japanese power limit because it no longer exists, so why aren't Mitsubishi following Nissan's lead and making 300+Hp?