Ke70 Power Steering/ Low Ratio Rack

Cantox22

Members dont see this ad
Trying to work on the steering of the KE70.

Any info out there on power steering setups to reduce the number of turns lock to lock?

Theres 2 common mods for this, one of which will work on a stock ke70.

You can rebuild your rack with a Quaife quick ratio rack and pinion kit for AE86 from http://www.palmside.co.nz

If you run ae86 struts then you can use ae86 power steering arms.

The PS arms do not change the number of turns lock to lock, but they do increase the amount of lock achieved in the 2.9 turns of the standard rack and pinion.

The quaife kit achieves similar lock to standard, but does it in 2.5 turns. I use the quaife kit in my ae71, it even was able to be built into the standard steering rack housing.

One thing i have noticed, the ke70 standard steering arms are shorter than ae86 manual steering arms, but not as short as ae86 power steering arms. Therefore I reckon the ke70 steering arms would be a nice accompaniment to the quick rack. Meaning it should have more lock than any ae86 with manual arms and a quaife kit.

• 1 year later...

I think it's better to pull up older posts with most of the information already there than start a new one..

If I was to use the Quaife quick rack set up in my KE70 steering arm, the last guy who posted said I would unable to then use the AE86 struts. Is there a way around this, or would using KE70 steering arm significantly reduce my ability to upgrade suspension?

I think it's better to pull up older posts with most of the information already there than start a new one..

If I was to use the Quaife quick rack set up in my KE70 steering arm, the last guy who posted said I would unable to then use the AE86 struts. Is there a way around this, or would using KE70 steering arm significantly reduce my ability to upgrade suspension?

It's pretty simple, if you have KE70 struts you have to use KE70 steering arms, but AE86 struts are better because there is a greater availability of upgraded parts for them, although to use AE86 struts you have to use AE86 steering arms. So it's the struts you use that determine what upgrades you can make, not the steering arms. So yes, using the KE70 gear will reduce you ability to upgrade suspension. Go for AE86 stuff if you want what's good.