Polishing Rims

DouggehKE30

I have some Sigma GSR rims on my rolla. They are not so shiney anymore.

I got told by a couple of people to use "Autosol"

I have used this, it works well, but it is not agresive enough, as my wheels are too dirty.

It has this "Crud" on it and it is a #@!^ to get off!

post-6023-1222781862_thumb.jpgpost-6023-1222781883_thumb.jpg

I tried using steel wool and "gumption" and still going to take years to make shiney.

post-6023-1222781838_thumb.jpg

Long story short.....

What should i use to get this stuff off and make my wheels SHINEY!mmm shiney stuff

I will obviously still use autosol at the end to get the shine.

Thanks

Doug

Members dont see this ad

They will most likely have a protective clear coat over the alloy.....to get that off to polish them, you will need to use something like paint stripper first. Then after that you can go to town using Steel wool and Autosol (works great for me), finish off with a rag and just the autosol polish and put some elbow grease into it. If you don't like the idea of hard work, you can go to bunnings and grab a product called Joyco? i think it is.....they have small buffing attachments for power drills to make buffing and polishing easier. :y: Hope that helps.

once youve got the clear coat off, id recomend PURPLE metal polish. its made in the US by California Gold. its available from HY-Way truck accesories on the cnr of South Rd and Grand Junction Road. I'll bring the bottle down friday night and show ya:)

Heres a pic of my wheels just after being polished with PURPLE.

Ryan LOVES THE SHINEY

PICT0054.jpg

PICT0066.jpg

Edited by KE25 KID

sand the clear coat of using wet and dry, starting with a course grit working through to a fine grit. If you want those rims to bling, get a drill attachment or you wont have fingers by the end of it. If you can't be bothered doing it, there's a guy down at Lonsdale that does a nice job for $30odd per rim, with the tyre off the rim. I say this cause the edges, nooks and cranny's are much harder to bring to a nice shine as opposed to the large flat surface. I recon 30$ bucks is sweet toss all when you consider the yakka, but then again your work is something to be proud of. Up to you Doug.

Mitch.

post-5723-1222793342_thumb.jpg

Edited by mitch4397

Pretty much everyone has advised you on what i was going to say. But with all the stuff we've polished here we found its a progressive thing, start with something rougher and work your way to something more fine. We start with a wet and dry sand paper as someone said to get that clear coat off, then depending on how bad the surface is we go with say autosol with steel wool, then autosol with a rag, Mothers have a great mag and aluminuim polish that we use next, then if its still needs a hit we throw a bit of that purple polish on there. Sounds like overkill but it doesnt really take that long once you get into it. Dad's polished up alot of the crappy looking alloy things such as his alternator and they've come up great. Someone mentioned a power drill attachment as well, we got a few attachements that we use in the die grinder to help get into the harder to reach places, like the holes in your rims.

I found that if i took them off the car one at a time and when i was sitting in front of the television i'd just start polishing, makes the process that bit less boring and your in luck, bathurst is on weekend after next.

If you do it properly the first time its alot easier to maintain the shineyness later on.

PICT0066.jpg

Gotta love the look of a tonner with shiney rims, the centrelines look tough as. Had them on mine for a while but didnt have the width i wanted under the arse :y: and IMHO the standard WB front is probably the ugliest one to ever be seen on a holden, not a fan but your tonner looks tidy none the less. Sorry to go off subject.

Thanks gyes :hmm:

I will take not of all of what you said.

But will have to go on the back burner for now. As i have to put my efforts into finding a new moter and putting it in etc.

As my 5k has a cracked block.

I will post when i get back into it.

Thanks again

Doug

Head down to your local paint shop they should have metal polishing kits with cloth attachments for your drill, and 2 or 3 different polishing compounds.

Then finish with autosol. The drill bit attachments really take a lot of the hard work out of it. Still time consuming though.

Here's my before and afters :cool:

a9f4_1.jpg

05072008115.jpg

Gotta love the look of a tonner with shiney rims, the centrelines look tough as. Had them on mine for a while but didnt have the width i wanted under the arse :bash: and IMHO the standard WB front is probably the ugliest one to ever be seen on a holden, not a fan but your tonner looks tidy none the less. Sorry to go off subject.

Well most people are going with the deville front these days and that makes them stand out less. To have a standard front still on there makes it stand out a bit from the rest. plus a deville front end is a pretty big outlay for an apprentice. plus then i have to strip it back, get it painted and find time to fit it. But I'm not bothered what other people think, i likes it :cool:

Wheels are CSA's centerline copy tho :y: the proper centerlines look FAT as :y: