Nissan Blue Ke55 + Worked 4k

maxyboy55

hey everyone, this is only my second topic ( you may remember dohc 4k)

last august i saved a ke55 two door lift back from the wreckers with only its motor attached (no g'box, tailshaft or diff centre ) and seeing as dad knew the owner i bought it for scrap value-$100

post-4926-1223079355.jpgpost-4926-1223079397.jpgpost-4926-1223079412.jpgpost-4926-1223079432.jpg

i bought some mesh from super cheap and went crazy with it, cut my air cleaner box thingy and meshed the air cleaner and meshed the grill

i also got some 5 spoke mags for $80 to replace the mix-match steel rims (you'll also see a racing seat in there, one of my ideas that didnt work)

post-4926-1223080064_thumb.jpg

it took a while before i got a 5-speed box tailshaft and borg warner style diff then i got it running

ive been using it as a part paddock-basher, part driving learning tool since then and it's soon to be pulled apart

my plans are to:1. paint it (and get all the rust out)

2. take the engine apart

3. shave the head

4. put extractors on it

5. bore it out 40-thou

i've bought the paint two days ago, it's a cool metalic blue nissan colour (probably from a n14/n15 pulsar) and it only cost me $610 (with thinners, hardener etc) which is cheap as chips seeing as it costs as much as a solid colour

post-4926-1223080613_thumb.jpg (thats the lid of the tin of paint in the sun)

so all's well and this is something for me to do before i turn 16 :hmm:

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Okay, to settle this. KE50's were the KE30 equivalent. They came with a 3K and a black dash. The KE55-P was was the KE55 version. Came with a 4K and tan dash. And it was the only KE55 that wasn't built in oz. (only imported one)

• 4 weeks later...

Update!

sorry i didn't respond to these question's... i forgot

so here goes:

.i didn't get him off ebay-(from the wreckers if you read :D )

.i've seen one other liftback like mine, i saw it up in brissy, lovely orange colour, aparantly there's another liftback around ballina area

more updates: i forgot to add to my list that i'm going to water inject it to stop detonating and at the moment i have a system relying on manifold vacuum, sucking air through the bottom of a washer bottle and it sucks the water droplets through the oil breather hose (it kinda works like a bong)

post-4926-1225264601_thumb.jpgthat's the picture of the washer bottle with the air cleaner to the left

post-4926-1225264723_thumb.jpgthat's a picture of the line with water vapour going into the oil breather hose

post-4926-1225264843_thumb.jpgthat's a top veiw of the hoses with the vapour (and yes it is a bit hard to see)

that system was based on this: www.greaseolineplus.com/page2.html

my new system is one based loosly off these : http://autospeed.com/cms/A_110369/article.html and http://autospeed.com/cms/A_110368/article.html

my dad is putting water injection in his wrx boat and he had some irrigation foggers left over that run at 50psipost-4926-1225265194_thumb.jpg , i decided to try it with a windscreen washer motor which runs at 2-3psipost-4926-1225265276_thumb.jpg, it worked... :)

so i did some simple tests to work out how long my 1.5l washer bottle could take this flow

i timed it with a stopwatch and a measuring jug and found it ran at 50ml per minute,

that makes 200 minutes per litre which in turn is about 300 minutes (or 5 hours) for my bottle :P

my other modification i am hoping to get is an efi setup-fingers crossed

i'm looking to take him apart in another 3-4 weeks and painted over the chrissy holidays

max

p.s. if you noticed i was reffering to my car as him, yes he has a name, louie :argh:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

more updates!

pulled the engine out on sunday,

post-4926-1227597110_thumb.jpg

post-4926-1227597137_thumb.jpg

dad went to the engine rebuilders to get a price on a rebuild kit and it costs $395 (thats with all gaskets, rings, bearings and new pistons)

but, i got some oversized pistons from camerondownunder and the rebuild kit's probably going to be less than half that price :P

dad also took the front guards, grill surround, apron and bonnet down to the panelbeaters today to get them painted :D

max

more updates!

pulled the engine out on sunday,

post-4926-1227597110_thumb.jpg

post-4926-1227597137_thumb.jpg

dad went to the engine rebuilders to get a price on a rebuild kit and it costs $395 (thats with all gaskets, rings, bearings and new pistons)

but, i got some oversized pistons from camerondownunder and the rebuild kit's probably going to be less than half that price :P

dad also took the front guards, grill surround, apron and bonnet down to the panelbeaters today to get them painted :D

max

$395 :jamie: Thats cheap as!

• 3 months later...

I decided to get off my arse and update this...

i ended up getting the rebuild kit for less that $395 ($325 in fact) with 60 thou oversized pistons :no2:

the mighty 4k is down at the rebuilders, getting bored out and i will take the head in to get shaved when i get back from my holiday.

panelbeater/painter has taken my car away from me today aswell and hopefully should be done when i get back too

I've also had some more innovations for my engine :y:

I got 4k efi gear with a haltech programable computer, and tidied up the wiring harness, got a bigger throttle body (from a hyundai excell, lol)

fine tuned my water injection system by running two windscreen washer pumps in-line to produce 45 psi and having that triggered by a vacuum switch on a relay

designed a cold air intake with a commodore/liberty airbox

I'm going to make an insulator spacer for my intake runners

got thermo fans to replace the engine fan

and i've also got a bigger radiator from a ae90/nova, which are cheap to buy new aluminium cored ones ($150!) and best of all, i got this copper one free

max

Edited by maxyboy55