Cutting Stock Springs

Mybowlcut

Hey.

With some encouragement from the boys on the last WA cruise, I'm thinking about cutting the stock springs on my KE70.

Just wondering what peoples experiences are with doing this... good.. bad.. advantages.. disadvantages.

It won't be an extremely low height (will be a legal height), but my car sits quite high so I'll be dropping it a bit.

Cheers.

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't be cheap. Buy new ones.
Haha. This is just temporary until I buy RA60 struts/brakes and stuff off Chrisandliz. Why is it cheap anyway? :)

I think I may have already asked you this question, and I think you said Lovells... but what are the best springs to buy for a '70?

Also, do they come in varying heights or.. ?

Cheers.

Anything but Kings. You can buy lowered ones, stiffer ones and all of the above. Contact a reputable suspension shop. You can always sell them off when you get your new struts.
Is Pedders reputable? Haha. Thanks for the advice. I'll wait until I get the new struts though.. too much messing around otherwise. Do stiffer springs take bumps better or something? Never understood what stiff meant in that context...

Oh and this is what I meant by advantages/disadvantages:

Damage to springs, such as using oxy-acetylene to cut the end off a car suspension spring to lower a vehicle's ride height, can destroy the tempering in localised areas of the spring.
Edited by Mybowlcut

Stiffer means you will get less body roll but you will feel a whole lot more bumps in the road

But essentially, your car will handle a shitload better :)

Ah... well I already feel a lot of bumps so I guess a few more wouldn't hurt if it meant better handling, right?

i have cut springs all round and it handles great but i use fto shocks which are really short to kkep the rear springs capitative so they don't pop out and i havent had a problem yet
How much did you shorten them by? How did you ensure you got the same height all round? Is the popping out thing an issue if I cut my springs?

Cut springs are illegal.

Saying that I ran cut springs for close to 10 years without issues. If you use a hacksaw you shouldn't do any damage to the heat treatment of the spring.

Yeah the guys told me that but I figure if I do it to a respectable height then cops won't notice it and won't look. Again, how much did you shorten them by and how do you ensure you get the same height all round?

If i were you, i would just buy some new springs. They'll cost you a couple of hundred but you will be able to sell them again for almost what you paid for them (with low km on them) and you'll have peace of mind that they are nice and new and safe :P
Well, the RA60 struts/brakes are going in soon.. I was going to go into Pedders to get my car looked at and have my options laid out for me but I figure the different struts will affect what I can upgrade to haha. Will refrain from any cutting of springs until the new struts I guess. :)

Cheers for all of your help!

Stiffer means you will get less body roll but you will feel a whole lot more bumps in the road

But essentially, your car will handle a shitload better :)

Yeh, exceptionally better when you have too high a spring rate for your 20 year old spongy shocks on a corolla built to keep granny comfortable.

Take a good look at the next slammed ke70 you see. Watch it as it rides the bumps in the road and it will continue to bounce around all the way down the road. It'll be lower and stiffer but whether it qualifies as "good handling" or "dodgy handling" is in the eye of the beholder.