Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Fuel Leaking

Featured Replies

Hi All

 

I'm a total newbie, but I've got a '72 KE29 corolla that I bought of this chick I knew for $100 (and then found $2 in the dash). I've been fighting hard to keep it running over the years and most problems I managed to tackle (new brake master cylinder, jammed valve, putting in a new ignition, replacing the mono tape deck with a stereo from this century) but a recent addition to the list of defects has defeated me.

 

Basically when I go for a drive round the block fuel leaks out of the fuel cap, and runs down the side of my car. Could any sort of blockage anywhere in the fuel system cause this happen ? I'm reasonably sure the fuel cap makes a tight seal but what are the specs for new one (vented/non-vented, compatible models) since the bloke at repco was entirely useless.

 

I'm on a mission to keep this car alive.

hi suet, welcome to rollaclub,

 

A picture of the car and your location will definetely help us solve the problem...

 

ke29 aren't common... further description?

 

as a totally unhelpful suggestion, i'd try driving around the block the other way and see if that fixes the problem... :lolcry:

 

-dave

  • Author

Cheers.

 

I'm in Perth, WA (Western Australia, I'm not sure how international this forum is). There's every possibility it's not at all what I said it was, I'm not much of petrol head - It's brown, has 2 doors and is an automatic.

 

As for a pic, this is the only one I have right now, but I'll try and take some photo's of the engine and interior then maybe someone can identify it properly.

post-6943-1224764738_thumb.jpg

nice work, that is a really nice example of an early ke20. not sure where the 9 came from...

 

maybe a typo on reg label or something?

 

love to see even more photos of this car when you've got a moment, maybe start a members ride thread?

 

as for fuel leaking prob, i personally don't know which cap is available for this car, but i would think that something is out there for it.

 

you may have to stop filling it right up as this may be a reason for it surging out around corners.

 

you may need to get another rubber seal to put on your cap.

 

it may be adaptable from a late 70's early 80's model.

 

good luck with it all

 

-dave

this happened in my ke30,

 

then when i got it fixed with a fuel cap that had the proper seal, my fuel pump burst its diaphragm because of too much pressure,

my old man shoved a rag under the chrome cover thing to stop the fuel running down the side of the car........

 

Think an early valiant cap will fit or you can try to ben the tags on your cap to make it a tighter fit.

  • Author

I spent an afternoon making rubber seals and I'm pretty sure that it all fitted quite tightly, but the fuel cap has a vent in it anyway and I reckon the fuel just flows out the hole.

 

The inside of the car is rough as, it'll probably make the purists shed a tear.

That ke20 looks great! worth a lot lot more than the $100 you paid.

nice work, that is a really nice example of an early ke20. not sure where the 9 came from...

-dave

 

 

on the keyboard the 9 is next to the 0. probably explains the KE29 thing.

 

I heard making a cork gasket that sits on the old rubber seal. its a common problem on older cars. like my old ke25 and my HJ wagon. i think its because the fuel fillers are so close to the petrol tank is half the reason.

The line that runs to the charcoal canister could be blocked causing the pressure build up

 

Even if your car's a bit rough, i'd still give it a look over. :lolcry:

Don't think '20s run a charcoal canister. Know my '35 didn't

my 25 didnt, i don't think any ke1x oe ke2x ran a charcoal canister. I know the rolla i will be acquiring soon has one (ke30)

I knew the older cars didn't have one, didn't really know how what model started using it. But on that note i'm pretty sure my old '25 had one (Part of the battery tie-down)

mine had the washer bottle mounted on the rear battery clamp rod. probably safe to say they were in every rolla made from ke3x onwards :D

can't remember when the polution rules (1976????) kicked in but early ke3* shouldn't have them unless they have been retrofitted.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.