Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Ke70, True 1982 Timewarp. Check It Out!

Featured Replies

Hi Matt, I was thinking the same thing. The car just needs a few finishing touches but before I do that all I want is for it to be regoed so I can drive it around for a bit to see how it goes. Then later on I'll replace things like the broken pinstrips with new ones and the rear bumper will eventually be replaced too. I'll adjust the front bumper and sand it back (as its been painted) so it looks right. Also I have a rear louvre for it too, but more importantly the existing clips are already on the window. You will certainly be filled in on the progress my friend! Does you dad have a garage in victoria st Brunwick? if your there on a weekend i'll pop in as grandma lives around there.

 

Thanks for for the comments guys!

 

 

Haha yes he does mate. Normally i'm not there on weekends as the workshop is closed but if you see a burgundy vs commodore or one of my rolla's out the front knock on the door to see if i'm there! I'm going to do much the same with those fiddly things to fix on mine as well. Best of luck with the tasks ahead!

  • Replies 522
  • Views 410.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • uhhh going to vic roads for a gearbox conversion? :huh:

  • Back in Melboune a few weekends ago we hosted the first All Japan Day car show, an event hosted many times in other states if I'm not wrong? Got the ke70 all prepped up, and I couldnt believe how much

  • Thanks Jay, once they are clean up they are like a different (new car).   After long searching I found a genuine sx/gti rear muffler, thanks to madrollafan! In good solid condition, just needed the

Posted Images

  • Author
overrated bro...overrated! I gotta get mine cleaned up. Doesnt take much...

 

Thanks mate, all it takes is a fair bit of effort and time but in the end the result is worth it. When I saw this on the side of the looking like what it did, I could see the potential this had after being cleaned up and here it is.

  • Author

Okay update: I spoke to the roadworthy mechanic today and here is what the car needs.

Only a few things...

 

1, LH parking light globe

2, LH lower ball joint replaced

3 Window wiper rubbers

4, Unroadworthy windscreen.....

 

I didnt mind paying to have items 1-3 replaced but the windscreen looked perfectly fine to me as there was no sandblasting, chips or cracks in the areas of vision. Over the phone the mechanic said "its unroadworthy" as there are scratches, so I asked how much a replacement was which was $180-190.00 which I disagreed to. So after talking to him I thought well if you can repair chips, surely you can polish out scratches (which my screen had) so I called him back and asked specifically where the scratches were and can they be polished out as the windscreen certainly looked fine too and others who saw the car.. Anyhow after a few minutes he came back and said the scratches are in the field of vision but are able to be polished out. I asked how much and was told $60-70.00 which was much better than the first quote, so I agreed for them to do the complete roadworthy on the car...

Okay update: I spoke to the roadworthy mechanic today and here is what the car needs.

Only a few things...

 

1, LH parking light globe

2, LH lower ball joint replaced

3 Window wiper rubbers

4, Unroadworthy windscreen.....

 

I didnt mind paying to have items 1-3 replaced but the windscreen looked perfectly fine to me as there was no sandblasting, chips or cracks in the areas of vision. Over the phone the mechanic said "its unroadworthy" as there are scratches, so I asked how much a replacement was which was $180-190.00 which I disagreed to. So after talking to him I thought well if you can repair chips, surely you can polish out scratches (which my screen had) so I called him back and asked specifically where the scratches were and can they be polished out as the windscreen certainly looked fine too and others who saw the car.. Anyhow after a few minutes he came back and said the scratches are in the field of vision but are able to be polished out. I asked how much and was told $60-70.00 which was much better than the first quote, so I agreed for them to do the complete roadworthy on the car...

 

i paid $220 for my windscreen,

 

i took my car to work and listed what i found wrong with it, took it to this mechanic picked NOTHING i found and told me only my windscreen was f@$ked LOL!

  • Author

Without being biased towards my car, but I think it was one the cleanest ae71's both body wise and mechanically that entered his workshop despite some niggles as I went thoroughly though every part of the car I could think of bearing in mind it was purchased last saturday 12th dec so not much time was on hand to rectify every little thing, but all in all I think dad and I did preety damn well job though.

 

All mechanics operate differently Evan. I wasnt aware that the lh ball joint was worn as I'm not that mechanically inclined to look for those signs... anyway that is what these guys are paid to look for which they found. But what I wasnt impressed with was that he told first off the windscreen would have to be replaced and after calling him back to see if it can be repaired and being told yes it can annoys me because if I didnt ask and just accepted his word it would have been more money spent for nothing...

 

Anyway as I said in a previous post, it got settled and the car will be fixed tomorrow so its roadworthy then it can be registered.. I can't wait.. updates soon.

Edited by "The Mint KE70"

Hey Ben,

If that's the same mechanic we were talking about the other day he failed me on a windscreen twice. (before and after buffing)

I'd be making sure he'll definately pass it after a buff/polish

I totally love your work Mate.

 

200 dollars, mate thats to good to be true, isn't it.

 

Good luck with it man. It seems to be in good hands now :locked:

  • Author
Hey Ben,

If that's the same mechanic we were talking about the other day he failed me on a windscreen twice. (before and after buffing)

I'd be making sure he'll definately pass it after a buff/polish

 

Hi Chris,

Its all good. The winscreen was buffed out and the other things were rectified so the car is officially roadworthy and it was picked up today.

  • Author

I totally love your work Mate.

 

200 dollars, mate thats to good to be true, isn't it.

 

Good luck with it man. It seems to be in good hands now biggrin.gif

 

Thanks Jesse, as soon as I laid my eyes on that car In its previous state I saw its potential and for the price It had to be bought. I appreciate your complement mate.

  • Author

Okay, as I said in previous posts I gave the car its second polish after the initial cut it got last week. The paint was smooth then but now is rediculously slippery! Anything that was rested on the car simply slid off, even my eagle one polishing tin kept coming off the boot lid. I gave all the mudflaps got the black dye put on them to reduce the use of armourall and I got around to fixing the LH corner of the front bumper bar.

 

During..

S5002762.jpg

S5002761.jpg

 

It runs and purrs like a kitten, and shines like one too.

S5002763.jpg

S5002764.jpg

 

Looks preety red dosent it? I don't know why the photo makes the panel under the tail lights look lumpy.... its straight as an arrow.

S5002766.jpg

Edited by "The Mint KE70"

  • Author

Then it was time to fix the bumper, the passenger end cap didnt have a bolt keeping it secure where it should have been, therefore letting it droop down. In two minutes it was fixed.

 

Before

S5002769.jpg

During the process

S5002773.jpg

 

Next thing will be adjusting the gap under the headlight as the bumber has a slight droop towards the end. Then it will be sanding the front bumper back where the black paint has come off and give it a refresher again.

Great attention to detail, love what your doing with your Corolla's, always liked that factory spec look. :)

Handy Hint: Instead of using the black die you can buy a product called Bumper Coat in a pressure pack can, works great on mudflaps and bumpers of course!..

  • Author
Great attention to detail, love what your doing with your Corolla's, always liked that factory spec look. :)

Handy Hint: Instead of using the black die you can buy a product called Bumper Coat in a pressure pack can, works great on mudflaps and bumpers of course!..

 

 

Ahh thanks Gav! You are also one of the members I have aspired to and have a lot of time for when it comes to attetion to detail. And yes the factory spec look will become rarer as more people modify these cars. And that silver ke70 you bought..... please don't touch it. Clean it up and garage it with the others! :P Does this bumpercoat leave a semi gloss or matt finish? as I have never tried this before.

 

If you have any other tips pm me as I will utilize them all :y:

  • Author

Okay, a busy day doing little jobs. I got around to finishing off the front bumper, its a vast improvement from what it was but it needs a proper paint as all its got is some cheap black gloss to temporarily cover it. Thanks again Gav for the bumpercoat paint! Just a few before and after photos of rubbing down, priming and painting. I also did the window wipers too as they were worse for wear..

 

S5002785.jpg

 

Primed

S5002788.jpg

 

Finished

S5002790.jpg

  • Author

Then I pulled off the boot seal and vacuumed out some leaves and dust that was under the rubber below the rear window. Apart from the dirt it was preety clean under there. But with hot water, a rag and then some cream/wax polish it came up like new again.

 

Before

S5002791.jpg

 

After

S5002793.jpg

Edited by "The Mint KE70"

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.