Ke70, True 1982 Timewarp. Check It Out!

Ben-89

Here are a few more photos of some of the ke30's we've had in the past... The mustard 76 model ke30 was dad's first car in 78, it was bought as a repairable writeoff and was repaired. It lasted many years before he sold it and bought an identical one. The green one pictured belonged to a work colleague of dad who let us service his car. When he passed away he left it to us, which we later sold afterward.

In January this year a mate and I went to pick pay n go in Ringwood. In the wrecking yard was a Ae82 twincam with a complete mid 80's bodykit. The side skirts were broken from where the forklift placed it on the stands, but importantly the front spoiler was untouched.

I couldn't get the spoiler off quick enough, all the screws came out except for one thing. The silastic silicone glue. I managed to prize off the spoiler without further damaging it. As it was colour coded to the car I sanded it back, filled up any stone chips, scratches and cracks before sanding it smooth again. Then it was sprayed satin black to match the bumperbar.

After fitting to the car, I gave it a final coat of paint and it looks like it was meant to be there. A few months later at pick-a-part I found a pair of series one genuine Toyota headlight covers. After some cleaning they were put on the car looks complete. I got the idea to do this when I saw this advertisement in one my magazines...

Click.....

Ke30 Photos, dad's was the mustard one and these photos were taken in 1978. The green one belonged to a friend of his.

Ke30Front.jpg

TomsKe30.jpg

S5000797.jpg

S5001566.jpg

Now here are photos the spoiler that was bought from Pick, Pay n' Go...

S5001416.jpg

S5001429.jpg

S5001435.jpg

spoiler.jpg

Edited by "The Mint KE70"

Members dont see this ad

Thanks Rolla Dude. As the majority of people are modifying their Corollas in some way to be different, I'm just preserving mine particularly the ke70 as it is stock. Finding a standard low kilometre ke70 in really clean condition is hard to find. Let alone pricey. Which makes the clean stardard ones different from the pack again..

Earlier on this year I had a wanted to buy thread as I'm after a ke30/55 Corolla. Anyway I was curious to see how the car performed/handled and drove for daily duties. One of dads work mates has a late model ke55 that he's has for over 20 years. So I thought I would ask him if it could be ok if I could drive his car afound for a few days so I can get a feel of it and make my judgement.

Dad's friend was kind enough to lend me the car for a few days to drive in, and I found the car really fun and plesant to drive in day for to day commuting etc... Whilst I had the car, I thought I would treat it to a full exterior detail as it desperatley needed one.. It had the usual chalky paint, dull chrome on wheels bumpers and grey strips instead of black. So I brought it back to its formaer glory to my appreciation.

I gave it one polish using the cutting compound, followed by a second polish with the cream/wax. Then on the chrome autosol was applied along with forever black for the bubbers.

Enjoy the photos.

Before detailing

S5001779.jpg

S5001780.jpg

After detailing...

S5001984-1.jpg

S5001980.jpg

S5001977.jpg

S5001983.jpg

S5002000.jpg

S5001994.jpg

S5002007.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Since my last post the Ae82 has had another set of wheels put on, but this time they're the series one Ae82 CS-X alloys not Ae92 alloys. After having my 5,000 km free tyre balance the wheels kept vibrating at 80-100km/h... So again I went back and this time I was advised that both my front alloys were slightly buckled - enough to emit this vibration...

So they swapped the rear good alloys and vice versa. This was only a temporary measure as I was irritated with this vibration. Still not any better, so then I decided to purchase the original Ae82 items and have them fitted. This time I went to another shop as I was not satisified with the first one. Long story short, it turns out that one of my front (new) tyres from Feb this year already had a lump it, and secondly only one of the wheels were buckled, not enough to emit a vibration. Instead it turned out that the rear tyres had lumps in them too which contributed to the shaky ride also.

As I already had these Ae82 alloys that did not have any buckles in them, I told them to fit them as I thought they suited the car better. Then the front tyre was replaced from them under warranty, and the rears were changed over from a private shop. The vibration is still present but its not as bad, if wasn't as fussy I would put up with it.

I think the vibrating may be coming from the drive shafts, as there is fore and aft play along with up down. Further more the drivers side shaft is spitting out grease onto the firewall that has made me suspicious. Some of it symptoms are the following.

1, Above 80 km/h in a straight line while powering it vibrates slightly.

2, Going up hill in third gear while powering though a bend it vibrates also.

3, Though while coasting down hill at 80-100km/h with no accleleration applied there is not vibration. But as soon as I accelerate it will vibrate.

4, As I slow down when entering a corner in 2nd gear and gently power out of the corner no matter how hard I try to feather the accelerator it will still give that little jolt/jerk.

Otherwise the drive shafts don't click and the cv boots are not worn, Visually they look fine. Also the car has 335.000 km on the clock.

As I'm happier with these wheels, I thought I would post a quick photo. Some better ones will be taken though.

S5002361.jpg

• 1 month later...

Cheers Adam, the closest thing to a muesum is the garage at home where its preserved. I offered it to Toyota for their 50th annivarsary vehicle display and it got turned down as I was too late to enter it, when I have it down next and I go through Macleod I'll swing by some time so you can have a proper look! :)

For the white walls I did them myself, first I used wax and grease remover to remove the tyre which was on there and after that I used one of those oil based rattle pen paint markers and went across two onf the raised grooves in the tyres.

Just make sure you park away from the gutter though, or else it will rub off. Since these photos the white walls have been removed. I'm glad you like it though!

• 4 weeks later...

This thread is worthy of an update as I have bought myself another soon to be daily. (As dad needs the ae82 back to drive around in). A while back I took the ke70 for a small run a few km's from grandmas place where its kept and I decided to turn down one street and a very clean ae71 in red caught my attention. However at the time I was looking for a ke30 or 55 so I didnt particularly pay too much attention to it.

After months of car searching I didnt find what I wanted so I decided to have a look at a few ke70's or ae71's. The first ke70 I looked at was red and very clean but it had 363,000 city km's on it so it was preety grindy and loose after a test drive. The second one which some of you may have seen on ebay was a red ae71 cs-x auto sedan. The photos looked promising but in person the body needed a lot of work and was not worth the $1,500 asking price. Mechanically it drove very well despite having a leaking head gasket... anyway I let that one pass.

Then I remembered the nice and clean ae71 that was near grandamas, so I hopped in the car and went back to where it was and it was in the same spot, all faded with cobwebs over it so I decided to ask if they were interested in selling it. The owner said the car was last driven 6 months ago as an electrical fault occured and the daughter wasnt prepared to fix the car, so thats where it stayed. But after a replacement of some parts from the mobile mechanic, it was purring like a kitten and drove perfectly. Soon enough a deal was settled and with a driving permit it was driven back home to get the love it deserved...... 78 7krolla gave me some inspiration too.

So the specs are.... 1984 ae71 Corolla Cs in auto. I know its auto but it drives very, very well and is responsive enough for me, so no conversion is in order. 193,600km. Red in colour with grey interior with as new tyres and all mudflaps and other original fixtures and fittings that will be cleaned up and left there. It had some rust, but it was quite little and it was in the usual spots above the tail lights, lh wheel arch and thats about it. The rest of the body is perfect apart from dents and stains on the seats. The interior was thoughly detailed with the help of mum and it came up as new, and dad did the rust cutting welding and finishing of the mentioned rust areas while I helped him too, and between that I cut and polished the whole car by buff and hand with cutting compound which will be followed by a second polish with the soft cream/wax polish.

Some photos for your enjoyment!

Before all dirty and unpolished

S5002707.jpg

Very chalky paint

S5002709.jpg

After buffing the roof

S5002711.jpg

Polishing all the edges by hand so it dosent thin the paint, well worth the effort

S5002715.jpg

The finished product, with still a few adjustments though

S5002728.jpg

The interior was in need of some attention, so with a bit handy andy, hot water and a rag off came all the build up of grease on the steering wheel, front door cards, arm rests, console, etc,etc. Then a good thorough vacuuming was in order which a lot stuff was vacuumed out, then lastly mum cleaned up the seats and now they are as new. Only the drivers seat has a tear in the back rest which will be reupholdstered at some stage.

Before

S5002721.jpg

After

S5002726.jpg

S5002731.jpg

Dad finshing the body after welding...

S5002713.jpg

After finishing welding, treating, priming and painting the paint will be cut back so its bleneded into the surrounding paintwork for nice finish.

S5002725.jpg