Ke70, True 1982 Timewarp. Check It Out!

Ben-89

Members dont see this ad

Well a bit of progress has been made with red, if you call it progress.

I got sick of looking at the rear bumper bar in its previous state, buckled and droopy at the ends. So down to Pick a Part on the eastside to retrieve a very good rear bar for the sum of $12.00, yep thats right $12.00. Quickly it came off and back to Greensborough it was to refit it.

Two minutes to unbolt the old bumper and 45 minutes to put the new one back on! The bloody bracket holes werent lining up and after a bit of swearing I bit the bullet and unbolted the brackets on the inside of the bar and bolted them directly to the car followed by mounting the internal brackets of the bar with the ones on the car. Much more simple and it would have quicker if I thought of it sooner.

Anyway I gave it a good prepwash to take off any crap and gave it a coat of forever black so its as new and very straight.

New bar - Before prepwash

S5003494.jpg

Stuffed and dropy ends (old bar)

S5003496.jpg

Forever blacked - like new

S5003499.jpg

Bracked mounted for easier installation

S5003501.jpg

Done - Not exactly perfect, but a vast improvement and cleaner bumper overall :lol:

S5003504.jpg

Edited by "The Mint KE70"

NICE!

Should have polished under the bumper while it was off for more super cleanliness :(

Aha, someone with a keen eye spotted the dirtyness. Its only dust so I left it, but soon rust repairs will be commencing arond the boot rubber and that area behind the bar has some small bubbles present which will be stripped back. These little rust areas wont know what hit them when I've done with it!

I forgot to mention I think?? in the previous post I was lucky enough to obtain a proper ae71 csx passenger mirror. So off came the st141 retrofitted Corona unit in place of the new beauty. It sits nicely inside the door frame but more importantly it sits evenly along the belt line of the door :lol: again, only a keen eye would know....

I have been looking and looking and looking and asking about buying a genuine Toyota tape deck. I have had no luck since most were turfed years and years ago for newer units. Members on here were kind enough to have a snoop around their spare parts in hope of helping me out to no avail, but thankyou anyway.

Here is a photo of the elusive tape deck.

Gav.jpg

But thanks to Gavclassic I should be getting a genuine ae71 unit, I just need to deposit the money and the deal is sealed. Once I recieve it I might give the car to an auto lec to wire it up properly as my CS model dosent appear to have provision for the lower wiring harness that goes to the bottom tape deck.

I gave the engine a small clean at the carwash last week and since then the auto choke dosent work in the morning. I went over to one carby place who checked to see if power was going to the choke? solenoid which it was. I was advised by this bloke and another person to give the inside the of the carby a good spraying out of carby cleaner which I did and also the linkages and springs on the outside as they were preety dirty/greasy. Still no improvement and driving the car cold is pain.... I might get it checked tomorrow.

I've broke down twice in my van the last 2 mornings due to what I think is an auto choke issue. My solution to the problem will be removing the 4A-C and fitting a smallport. I reccommend you do the same :lol:

I've broke down twice in my van the last 2 mornings due to what I think is an auto choke issue. My solution to the problem will be removing the 4A-C and fitting a smallport. I reccommend you do the same :(

Cringes and shudders of the thought of doing such a conversion on this thorough breed :lol: The only other conversion I would consider would be a manual conversion to make this that bit more enjoyable.

And I found this.... no I haven't bought it, but importantly its a manual the body is obviously stuffed and rusted, but interior and other bits and pieces are okay.

S5003461.jpg

S5003462.jpg

S5003466.jpg

The whack was hard enough to dislodge the rear seat base and squab.

S5003468.jpg

Would the gearbox sustain any damage from an impact like this?

S5003475.jpg

The lh chassis rail has been moved back into the firewall.

S5003482.jpg

The gearbox is preety grubby underneath, like most 26 year old gearboxes.

I would say you would have a 50/50 chance with it.

My gear box is that dirty as well. But I guess the only way to see is to do the conversion. Atleast you would have all the other stuff for the conversion even if the gearbox was screwed. Then all you would have to do is find another wreck and salvage that gearbox and if that ones stuffed aswel then make one good one of the two!

I would love that interior :lol: Mmmmm! mmmmm!

I would say you would have a 50/50 chance with it.

My gear box is that dirty as well. But I guess the only way to see is to do the conversion. Atleast you would have all the other stuff for the conversion even if the gearbox was screwed. Then all you would have to do is find another wreck and salvage that gearbox and if that ones stuffed aswel then make one good one of the two!

I would love that interior :lol: Mmmmm! mmmmm!

Yeah Jesee,

Thats why I'm in second thoughts about the gearbox incase its stuffed from the accident. Not one rip or tear that I could find in that interior.

Gearbox should be fine I would think.

This was an ex rental, and apparently some young bird managed to deliberaley ram this into a concrete bus stop... According to the older proprietor, the car had no whining from the gearbox, or diff. But looking at the speedo he car has done around 430.000km :lol:

A nice parcel arrived in the mail today and its the retro 80's Toyota tape deck thanks to Gavclassic :yes: I recieved an oridinal am/fm radio with it too (even though its identical to the one already in red) but its good to have a spare. Additionally the wiring harness came with it too so it should be a plug and pay this saturday. Along with 3,000km service on the motor.

Some photos of the unit and how I think the wiring connects up, It looks to be wired up right.

S5003506.jpg

Wiring behing the radio

S5003508.jpg

Wiring into tape deck

S5003509.jpg

A bit more progress on the audio front today, I managed to install the tape deck and plug it up correctly with the loom from Gav and the original loom thats in the car itself, so the tape player and radio both work how they should. Now I know this is supossed to happen when the cassete gets inserted the radio automatically turns off and the cassete player starts playing but in my instance I cannot hear anything from the tape deck..... Now this is only my guess, but does anyone believe that the radio only delivers power/sound to the front speakers while the tape deck delivers power/sound to the rear speakers?

As my Corolla is a CS mid range, it dosent have rear speakers in the parcel shelf. Only speakers in the front kick panels.

Some photos of the tear down and re assembly.

S5003518.jpg

The loom with 4 plugs shares 2 of them with the 2 plugs to the left, and the remaining 2 plugs connect to the back of the radio....

S5003519.jpg

In this pic the plugs from the tape deck loom now connect with the two original plugs that used to plug in behind the radio, in this case though there are another two addititonal plugs that now connect up the radio again so they both can independantly from eachother.

S5003521.jpg

Deck in and working, but I need to hear sound. Mechanically I can hear it working and it can fast forward or rewind quite quickly.

S5003523.jpg