Ke70, True 1982 Timewarp. Check It Out!

Ben-89

The tape deck install was the recent mod that I have done, but I'm in the process of chasing csx rear speaker and wiring loom to the rear as the tape deck only plays sound to the rear speakers hence the seperate volume, tone and treble knobs etc,etc.

So I went on pick a parts website to see what they had, and it appeared there was a blue 1983 Corolla for parts. So I drove down to sniff around and to my suprise in the far corner was a dark blue slanty front. It had the black door frames so I was a csx and I was hoping it would have the relevant audio wires I required. Now this car didnt have Hi Cam or 1.6 badges on the front guards so I suspected a repaint as the car looked very very tidy. The bonnet was up and as I got closer I realised it was an ae71 so I had a look for the clutch cylinder and was suprised to discover that it had that too.

After opening the door I saw the famous and illusive pedal box and t-50 still in the car :bash: This car wasnt touched as it was put in late friday afternoon 9/7/10. I organised some things with Paul and 3.5 hours later we were back..... to find the dash board, speedo cluster, and other surrounding parts in the cabin and engine bay removed :P But upon closer inspection all the maunal gear was still available.

So whoever started removing parts gave us a head start, so thanks. 3pm we began disassmebly of the pedal box, gearbox, engine stays, tail shaft and gear box bracket. 4.30pm we were in the last stage of unbolting the gearbox and had the maxium time of 45 mins to remove it as the wrecker closes. Just as we dropped the dropped the gearbox and began packing the tools away we were just in time to go and pay for the manual package. All I can say is what a bloody suprise it was to be lucky enough to find such a unit, and the price of all the parts.

But it would'nt have been possible without Pauls help, so a big thanks to him!

The gearbox its self had quite fresh oil in it as it was still golden, the exterior of the box is grubby due to the leaking dizzy seal that ran down the head onto the bell housing.

In time I will purchase the new/used following items:

Clutch kit, heavy duty

Clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder

Centre Bearing for the tailshaft etc, etc

Manual flywheel, sandwich plate, speedo cable and other bits and pieces

Photos

Hard clutch line

S5003526.jpg

Pedal Box

S5003527.jpg

Manual Tailshaft

S5003528.jpg

The famous and illusive t-50

S5003529.jpg

S5003530.jpg

Edited by "The Mint KE70"

Members dont see this ad

Thanks Des and Matt!

Paul and I went back today to pick up the driver side gearbox stay, speedo cable, sandwich plate and 3.9.1 ratio diff assembly, and in the mean time I gave Paul a hand in removing front steering/suspension/braking components from an xt130.

Paul in the meantime made up a template for the mounting holes of the hydraulic clutch, while the interior was out and so we have an accurate idea on where to drill holes....

In addition to the parts list I will buy new rubbler lines for the slave cylinder, and rear brakes. For the brakes i'll replace the rear wheel cylinders and shoes. Then to tighten things up i'll buy bushes for the rear diff swaybar links etc.

More photos will come up tomorrow of the additional bits I purchased, before giving them a thorough clean. Once everything is cleaned and itemised, the purchasing of new parts will happen. But for now I'm wrapped that ive got all the necessary gear. And the real fun will begin when the installation happens :P

On this manual conversion I will be recording the prices on parts purchased from the wrecker and parts shops, so I'll begin now.

Saturday 10/7/10

1, Tail shaft - manaul $35.00

2, Gearbox - manual $92.00

3, Pedal Box- manual $45.00

4 Clutch line - Hydraulic $12.00

Sunday 11/07/10

5, Complete diff drum to drum - manual $175.00

6, Speedo Cable $12.00

Sandwich plate, gearbox stays, gear box bracket were more or less connect to the parts bought anyway. Will keep you guys updated shortly.

why didnt you take/ swap over the diff gears instead of the whole diff?

I'd rather purchase the whole diff and just swap it over and while its off get new rubber lines, shoes, bushes and rear wheel cylinders replaced in the meantime. For what I paid, it was worth it.

Then with the current 4.1.1 auto diff, i'll sell it on as I'm sure some drifter wants a diff for better acceleration and general thrashing.

nice find and you couldnt beat the price aswell when you going start the conversion

Hey Brian,

The reason for buying the ae71 was to eventually convert it to a 5 spped manual, even though in the earlier build post I stated I wouldnt bother, but I was bitten by bug and was just fed up with the auto. I'll admit the auto in this shifts shifts super smoothly partly because the previous owners and myself never tharashed the car, but the car has planty of potential and with my driving taste a manual was always a sensible option.

Seeing what a package sells for on the net, I was in the right place at the right time and went for it with the help of Paul. Now that I have the conversion package, I have begun cleaning parts and in the process of purchasing the above components I mentioned earlier. Once I have everything complete, its just a matter of deciding when the time is right to start the work. And while this out of action, I drive my other ke70 to and from work etc etc.

A little more progress was achieved today, with the remaining daylight left. So I began cleaning bolts nuts washers, and clips as they were caked on with grease. Then I started cleaning the left and right hand gearbox stays, sandwich plate, and wiring loom that connect to the box and these were just thick black.

In the process I itemised all the bolts into bags so I have an idea on what goes where... then I pulled out the T-50 to the back of the garage and soaked all the external casing in degreaser and petrol, before hitting it with a dust pan brush and two watering can of blistering hot water rinse off all the grime.

As I had this propped up on wooden blocks above the dirt I think I may have lost a little clip which holds the selector fork to the slave cylinder as when I was brushing it, it popped off causing the fork to fall inside the bell housing while later when I pick up the box to move it find the fork and spigot? bearing sitting on the dirt :( I hope I havent lost any clips because if I have, it will have been in the dirt...

Gearbox stay before:

S5003531.jpg

Gearbox stay after:

S5003538.jpg

Sandwich plate before: thought I had an after photo

S5003534.jpg

There are some of the bits which popped off the rubber clutch line, metal securing clips. But what is that hose with the brass connection thing, and where does it connect to?

Here is the bearing which fell out after the fork gave way

S5003540.jpg

The fork, and toward the left you can see a black hose and brass fitting? what is it.

S5003541.jpg

T-50 before the clean:

S5003536.jpg

S5003537.jpg

T-50 after:

S5003542.jpg

S5003543.jpg

S5003544.jpg

I'll start cleaning the diff tomorrow, if time and daylight permits. Thanks for the words guys.

i had 4:66 in my trimatic 4k LOL!

my manual ke55 has 4:11 or 4:33 i don't mind it at all

A manual/auto coupled to a standard 4k cannot compare to an auto 4ac at all in my opinion. The fact the a series motor was made to rev out naturally helps its case, but the amount of torque it puts out at lower rpm makes it work less harder while still keeping ahead of the 4k. I have driven both my manual ke70 and ae71 hard and its no contest....

A fact for you too Evan as I said earlier, manual ae71's had the 3.9.1 ratio diff while the autos had the 4.1.1 diff straght from a manual 1.3 ke70, all for better acceleration around town but quite poor open road performance. The quickest I got the ke70 in 4th gear was a touch over 155km/h. The quickest the ae71 managed was 130km/h as I couldnt bear the engine revs anymore. A 1.6 3 speed auto with the 4.1.1 ratio diff should never have happened.

I'm just happy it wont longer be an automatic, so now I can actually drive the car and not get head aches by and over revving motor on the open road :(

A manual/auto coupled to a standard 4k cannot compare to an auto 4ac at all in my opinion. The fact the a series motor was made to rev out naturally helps its case, but the amount of torque it puts out at lower rpm makes it work less harder while still keeping ahead of the 4k. I have driven both my manual ke70 and ae71 hard and its no contest....

A fact for you too Evan as I said earlier, manual ae71's had the 3.9.1 ratio diff while the autos had the 4.1.1 diff straght from a manual 1.3 ke70, all for better acceleration around town but quite poor open road performance. The quickest I got the ke70 in 4th gear was a touch over 155km/h. The quickest the ae71 managed was 130km/h as I couldnt bear the engine revs anymore. A 1.6 3 speed auto with the 4.1.1 ratio diff should never have happened.

I'm just happy it wont longer be an automatic, so now I can actually drive the car and not get head aches by and over revving motor on the open road :(

hahahahaha yeaaaa, my ke55 atm got a 5 speed. i hardly use 5th gear. but for some reason i still don't mind a dirty trimatic..

You would use 5th gear on the freeway, around town the max you would probably shift up to is 4th before you start slowing down. Ahh, trimatic. Thats a dirty word, as long as it does the job thats the main thing mate. I wouldnt mind coming to see your 55. When are you free?