Ke70, True 1982 Timewarp. Check It Out!

Ben-89

Some of you interstaters may have heard that Vic has a locust plague, as 99% of the locals had flyscreen on the fronts of their cars it was obvious we were city slicers who a re normally immune from this problem.

Locust anyone :o

S5003874.jpg

The dirty Datsun, it has a crap load of power :fuzz: :no2: :yes:. Cultivated quite a few figure 8S with ease. As well as chasing kangaroos and a wild goat.

S5003878.jpg

Edited by "The Mint KE70"

• 4 weeks later...
Members dont see this ad

I have mentioned in older posts the ae71 needs small dents and rust removed. And have spoken with my uncle about this again and its going to be easier to pull everything off the car i.e, chrome trimming, striping, moulding, mud flaps, bumpers grille and the like.

And I thought it would be worth making how I want it while in the process.

This is some things I bought after christmas :yes:

Here are some photos of the parts wreck that are in earlier pages.

S5003461.jpg

S5003462.jpg

S5003466.jpg

S5003468.jpg

I swapped my original odometer with 201XXX kms into the CSX/Spirit cluster.

S5003948.jpg

S5003950.jpg

S5003949.jpg

S5003946-1.jpg

The old 13" rims with trims and centre caps are coming back on. And other relevant/specific detail work will be done.

zspiritad.jpg

Hey Josh,

No it wasnt me you saw last night, otherwise I would have p.m'd you saying I was in the area!

Well thanks Mr Z! Patience is the best prectice. This Spirit was or is still rotting in the front of an unattended house. Over the 5 or so years it was there I used to occasionally glance and wondered who owned it.

Initially I thought it was a T-18 when I was more novice as the DX taillights were decieving. Then one day when I drove past the older owner of th property was doing some mowing so I enquired. But a the time I didnt have this car so I never bought anything, then after three years passing and having the ae71 I remembered the Spirit and offered money for what I wanted :yes:

The lady said if her husband had his way, that would have gone to the scrappers years ago :(

Like I said, it takes time especially with older Celicas but you'll find find things for it :y:

Hey Josh,

No it wasnt me you saw last night, otherwise I would have p.m'd you saying I was in the area!

All good. Thought I saw ya.

We went past the new SSS Auto Parts in Brunswick, and Dad sorta took the back way to Pascoe Vale, and I saw the Burgundy Sev with a someone who looked like you, and was Yawning and looking Depressed.

Maybe she kept it because she knew it would've been worth some Coin in those few years. :hmm:

Josh :cool:

Edited by ewt

How come she kept it? :hmm:

Bit of a hauder, but it turned out to be good :) Also her and her husband run a car rental business and this Spirit was one of them which was written off during service. So initially it was a parts car for thier fleet of e7's.

All good. Thought I saw ya.

We went past the new SSS Auto Parts in Brunswick, and Dad sorta took the back way to Pascoe Vale, and I saw the Burgundy Sev with a someone who looked like you, and was Yawning and looking Depressed.

Maybe she kept it because she knew it would've been worth some Coin in those few years. :hmm:

Josh :cool:

The money she got for what I bought was more than what a wrecker would offer for the whole car! Its basically just a worthless shell, unless someone wants clean interior panels or straight doors.

Got some Spirit specific items on the weekend, first was a set of four chrome wheel trims. The type with the more prominent curve that is seen on earlier Corollas as opposed to the flat edged which was previously fitted to it.

I also swapped with one of Pauls cars the drivers side mirror with a remote item which was fitted to the Spirits and lastly a CS grille minus chrome trim on the base with all the clips intact which is a rare find as this will be the grille painted centre red.

The chrome trims were covered with light oxidisation, so with the steel wool and chrome polish they came up like new. The grille I prepped so there is no grease, dirt or dust anymore.

The bootlid has been sanded, some spots more than others where there some heavy paint wear due to friction between the spoiler and bootlid, so these were feathered out by hand and sanding block.

The DX lights I got are in perfect condition but the rubber seals are absolutely shot. So I had a sniff around Clark Rubber and bought two metres of a foam based rubber seal for $15.90 :yes:

Tool for the job, scissors, tape measure, hole punch for the tail light studs and industrial strength automotive glue and Methylated spirits.

S5003989.jpg

Remove all rubber from light body and with a blade or similiar clean off any hard to get bits. Then with the metho and a cotton rag, flood on the metho and give it a good wipe in all the grooves and crevices where dust accumilates, as this will affect the adhering abilites of the glue later.

S5003991.jpg

If you have one these hole punches they're great as you can select any size. If you don't have one there are other alternatives. Once I measured all my foam strips, I placed them over the studs so they would scar the foam, then with the hole punch I'd press the holes and fit after applying glue to the light body and rubber.

S5003992.jpg

Once the rubber and glue become between the two surfaces, I taped down the rubber so it would set closer to the body as opposed to it being stuck on but not sealed. When I was glueing down the top pieces I was happy to see that the rubber sat quite flat and made a good seal against the body before I taped it down. After the glue set though with the tape still on, I ran another bead of the glue across the top of both lights for good measure :y:

I will give the lights over night to dry properly before I remove the tape. Then I will test fit them with the nuts done up see any if theres any issues.

RH Taillight

S5003993.jpg

LH Taillight

S5003994.jpg

Both lights drying and done :y:

S5003995.jpg

Nice work Ben. As the late Big Kev once said "I'm Excited!".

Haha On ya Clarky, I mean Matty! Its getting there, I test fitted the RH lamp and it seals super tight! I will fit the LH lamp tomorrow and the RH again so I can do the water test if they leak actual fluid which I don't think it will.

Then lastly I'll take some dummy photos, as these will be popped in after the initial work is done.

Today went as planned, fitted both rear lenses and the LH lens fitted perfectly in the recess because the beaver panel surface was clean of any old gasket. The RH lens fitted nice but there was old silicone bead stuck to the beaver panel from the previous owner which I never cleaned up, consequently as the gasket I made was quite thick + the old silicone made the gap even bigger. Anyway I contined along and tightened the two remaining nuts and I overtightened them.... bugger.

So I started the water test and the LH lens was spot on and the RH was perfect but where the two overtightened studs were is where it leaked as the nuts didnt work with the rubber to create a seal. Now that I have removed the offending studs, cleaned and glued the knarled tips where it slots into the plastic backing it wont leak the next time I fit them :y:

S5003996.jpg

S5003997.jpg

S5003998.jpg

A little bit of progress this week, bought somemore sandpaper and contined the feathering mainly where the spoiler was mounted as it had etched through the paint into the metal. I also bought a can of K&H Plasti Prime as I earlier sanded and prepped the rear spoiler and front grill and gave the pair a good coat of primer. Will look awesome when theyre painted :yes:

S5004010.jpg

S5004011.jpg

The ke70 was crying for attention and a new battery too, got caught out a few times where the car wouldnt turn over at all. Some of the guys on the Lazy Moes cruise will know what I mean :blush: So its got a brand spanker in there and kicks harder than a rodeo bull now :wink:

I thought I'd put up some pictures for the sake of it, only difference is the full lenght gearstick and proper knob, thats much easier to use especially when in start/stop traffic or general driving. And my rear number plate frame from back in the day :yes:

S5004009.jpg

S5004012bp.jpg

S5004013bp.jpg