Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Ke70, True 1982 Timewarp. Check It Out!

Featured Replies

nice work so is pedal box in yet?

  • Replies 522
  • Views 410.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • uhhh going to vic roads for a gearbox conversion? :huh:

  • Back in Melboune a few weekends ago we hosted the first All Japan Day car show, an event hosted many times in other states if I'm not wrong? Got the ke70 all prepped up, and I couldnt believe how much

  • Thanks Jay, once they are clean up they are like a different (new car).   After long searching I found a genuine sx/gti rear muffler, thanks to madrollafan! In good solid condition, just needed the

Posted Images

First thing tomorrow morning, gotta drill clutch master holes then it will be easy smooth sailing from there.

Coming along nicely.

  • Author

Hey guys, few more pictures from Sundays progress. Auto pedal box out, clutch master drilled and fitted, manual pedal box in, flywheel, clutch plate, pressure plate and spigot bearing on. Once it was torqued up and aligned the T-50 was slotted into position followed by the tailshaft.

Manual starter installed, gearbox stays, exhaust brackets were reinstalled, clutch master hard line was fitted and joined to the master, fluid replenished and bled including brakes. Speedo cable installed, reverse switch replaced and manual wiring loom connected on.

 

I reassembled the dash while dad and Paul took on other tasks, and before you know it, it was time to turn her over and see what she'd do. It fired into life, but the clutch pedal needed slight adjusting as it wouldnt go into gear with the pedal while it was idling. When the motor was turned off, it would change gears no worries.

 

So with some pursuasion, Paul fine tuned the pedal and it had feel and bite. It was ready to be driven so in this time I checked out the brakes (all good) and then just took it easy and went over to the car wash with Paul as his 71' needed a scrub. One thing Toyota should've done was produce more of these ae71's in manual, they really are a drivers car. So flexible and willing if you need to hurry, or planty of torque for just going with the flow - like me.

 

Pictures.

Torquing up the clutch assembly.

S5003776.jpg

 

Pedal box installation. Thanks Paul :y: :y:

S5003778.jpg

 

Under the bonnet clue :P

S5003779.jpg

 

Dad doing up the gearbox stay brackets :y:

S5003783.jpg

 

 

Next is to go to Vicroads (motor registration) so they can inspect the car and sign it off. After that my insurer will recieve a letter and will ammend the transmission type for the car.

Edited by "The Mint KE70"

uhhh going to vic roads for a gearbox conversion? :huh:

uhhh going to vic roads for a gearbox conversion? :huh:

Yep. You have to. It's a Modification to your Car to change from Auto to Manual.

all i have to say to that is PFFFFFFFFFFTTTTT.

 

i rocked up to vic roads with my auto to manual conversion, didnt even look at it.

 

i said it was a manual on my rwc and vic roads paper work tho?

  • Author

uhhh going to vic roads for a gearbox conversion? :huh:

 

Its a bit of a un-heard of Evan, all I did was bring the car round the back and the woman had a look (a real quick one) under the bonnet and at the gearstick. Not even a minute inspection :dance: Then she put an ammendment stating *the car is now a manual* and that was it.

 

Then I went in person to R.A.C.V and told them over the counter the car was "sighted" and that it met the standard requirements. :yes:

  • Author

all i have to say to that is PFFFFFFFFFFTTTTT.

 

i rocked up to vic roads with my auto to manual conversion, didnt even look at it.

 

i said it was a manual on my rwc and vic roads paper work tho?

 

The difference is that you're Corolla was un registered. No plates or anything. So previous history was preety much a fresh when you re - registered the car. And if you said its a manual they'll take you're word for it.

 

Where as the ae71 only needed a "renewal" as it had plates and was just a transfer. Therefore there was a history of the car and its specs, i.e the transmission. I thought better to be safe and just them and the R.A.C.V known what has been done so its all above board.

 

Atleast its all done now, drove it on the ring road from Vicroads adn its very relaxed. Not the ae71 I remember :happy:

Good work Ben and co :) Must be much quicker now and not to mention more economical. Now you have no excuses to attend some cruises :P

  • Author

Good work Ben and co :) Must be much quicker now and not to mention more economical. Now you have no excuses to attend some cruises :P

Hey Matt, its much much quicker the pick up in third is unbelievable, as it hits a certain rpm (can't tell what it is as I have no tacho) it literally takes off, I love it. I put on that generic muffler with the angle tip so it now has a nice sound while going up and down through the gears!

 

Like I mentioned to you on FB a while back, I'll send it to the Carby specialist so they can reset the idle to manual specs, fix the auto choke as its non operative and lastly tune it as I believe its a little thirsty though.

 

I'm hanging out for a meet up, let me know if you want to something. The kebab meet up seems good, but 10pm :blinks: is a little too late for me. More photos up soon :)

have a nap before hand! :P no excuse mate! be there or be square!

  • Author

Nearly one week after the conversion and I love this thing even more. Done between 150+km this week bedding in the clutch and just taking it easy as usual, but its a mad little thing.

 

On a different note I went to Thornbury Carburettors and made some inquiries about lowering the idle down to manual specs. I explained that the car has a had a considerable thirst ever since I bought it, so he said it can definitely be tuned to perform better and have better economy. And lastly he'll look at the auto choke, as mine hasnt been operative since I gave the engine a wash quite a while ago.

 

As the power delivery in the manual is way more direct, if its cold and coughs and splutters the car gets a little too hoppy. A week or so back I bought a head rest so I could use the material as a repair section on the drivers seat squab as its currently torn.

 

Then today Paul and myself went down to Team Thrash Garage to pick up a tidy set of rear doors for his 71', Good blokes to deal with for any e7 86 parts :y: :y: while he took the doors off the parts car I discoverd this one had a grey interior and manual gear boot surround, :) so I bought that, glued the hairline crack up, washed it and the boot, gave it good soak of armourall :yes: and put it in the car as the previous one was an auto surround with the leather boot installed :hmm: ..... it just looked weird :n: I'll put up comparison shots for you guys.

Edited by "The Mint KE70"

  • Author

Here are three photos of the same thing, just looks so much better with the manual surround :blush:

S5003786.jpg

 

S5003787.jpg

 

S5003788.jpg

 

Auto is the left one, Right is the manual. Just an extra one given from my cousin, but its binned now.

S5003789.jpg

Edited by "The Mint KE70"

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.