Ke70, True 1982 Timewarp. Check It Out!

Ben-89

• 2 weeks later...
Members dont see this ad

Thanks Jay, once they are clean up they are like a different (new car).

After long searching I found a genuine sx/gti rear muffler, thanks to madrollafan! In good solid condition, just needed the pipe with flange section removed and replaced with the smaller diameter piping and flange to bolt up to the current engine pipe, which I had laying around so that was welded on along with a new gasket and nuts/bolts. The chrome tips I tacked on also...

Looks the part, minus the hecticness. Has a tiny bit of rasp too :)

SDC15101.jpg

Toyota Owners club of Australia held their annual event at Brighton Toyota so I thought I'd give it a debut. It came runner up in best engine bay to a Supra which had big $$ spent.

Photo below courtesty of Grip Shift Slide.

zgripshiftslide.jpg

Photo makes it look like a demo model!

zbrightontoyota.jpg

• Upvote 1

Found a few bits for the ke70 when trawling through the wreckers. I never seen this sticker before, grabbed it from one of two ke70s, Its one of those attention type stickers mounted under the bootlid recommending to use genuine toyota parts as they are made to exact and exceeding standards. After a delicate clean up and sticking its back at home..

S5005102.jpg

S5005103.jpg

S5005104.jpg

Sunday 24/6 was Winterfest down in Melbourne so I thought i'd dust off the ke70 and bring it out since it had its work done on it.

Good weather, plenty of people who were interested in the car and of course lots of Toyotas from the same vintage. Photo courtesy of silverra23.

zwinterfest.jpg

Edited by Ben-89
  • Upvote 1

• 6 months later...

Back again, since my last post I have done a few things on the cars. You know its those little jobs which take a long time to do but the outcome is priceless!

Well down in Melbourne most people who know we had the second Classic Japan show 2012, In the lead up to that I was a busy beaver tracking down those perfect condition interior bits and exterior....

In my previous pages I had some pics of the audio system in the ke70, PLEASE don't gag from the shock but I have since removed the Retro Eurovox radio/tape deck, traxton equalizer, and big pioneer ghetto blaster parcel shelf speakers. The speaker covers are living in another members ke70 for a retro look ;) the rest was binned as it was old gone. At the same time I took the liberty to remove the aftermarket boot lights, boot release (being electric) and redundant wiring which was previously used on some hella spot lights. Funny thing was though, after tracing the wires they ran off two separate toggle switches which were cut into the lower dash fascia. There was so many unnecessary joins poor soldering jobs it was a pain for me but fun for Paul who applied his expertise :)

Thankfully the original loom under the column wasnt touched. So after tracing all the necessary wires then it was just a matter of pulling them out, But then there were additional electric antenna wires nestled under the gear shifter surround which ran directly under the carpet and then fed into the wire channeling under the scuff guards on the drivers side doors and into the boot. The amount of wire pulled out was questionable.

Okay so once that was all done, then began the preparation of new *clean* wiring to be made up for the radio for the accessories mode and wiring to the front speakers which were 4" units mounted back into the front kick panels. The original owner removed these to install bigger units in the front doors. Now with the radio antenna I was not keen on drilling into the clean front guard at the base of the a pillar so I opted for a internal unit which mounts inside the rear window.... Only problem was the length of wire was not long enough, So I decided to mount it under the dash pad and out of the way.

Then it was the reinstallation of the dash which was an easy affair after doing it 4 times as I was chasing wreckers for a matching gunmetal grey uncut dash fascia to cover the radio, I did eventually find one and in addition some bright spark chopped into the Corolla insignia located just above the glovebox.... seriously why?! So again a 70km round trip back the wrecker where I got the dash fascia resulted in disappointment as the car was gone!

So big thanks goes to bAker who happened to have just what I was after, after running around you really learn how much variation there was in ke70 trim plastic colours... Be careful when looking. At this point the dash is complete and is looking shmick, at the same time I was hunting for a aqua/bluey manual shifer surround with rounded blanking plate and handbrake cover. The units in mine were from a CS so it was full lentgh unit, so many thanks to RXsammy who was happy to exchange his SE units which were in the same colour! The lower din console where the equalizer was is still the same one, I made a black infill in which the "Toyota" blanking plate clips into so no need for another unit.

At this point I had redundant speakers in the back parcel shelf, being an SE meant it never had a carpeted parcel shelf. So the hunt was on again, there are bugger all SE trim levels around and if they are they have most likey been cut like mine or they are beyond repair. Mr bAker came to the rescue as his identical parcel shelf was uncut so a deal and exchange was done before being sent off to my uncle so he could spray paint it in the proper blue and flat finish. Once this was installed the car was ready for All Japan Day.

If it wasnt for the help of these blokes mentioned it wouldnt have been possible :)

Long overdue photos!

Taken By Silverra28

IMG_0707_zpsbabc9f31.jpg

Taken from SubaruKid

8221198998_8d1e21b0ba_b.jpg

Replacement Parcel shelf after paint.

S5005393_zps8d1ed1c8.jpg

Retrofit under way.

S5005373.jpg

Edited by Ben-89

The amount of heat this thing generated was concerning.

S5005374.jpg

You can see a conventional switch where the optional a/c would've went but then on the opposite end another hole was added! A really nice tarnish free replacement was sourced

S5005376.jpg

And its done, take a seat in 1982! Now featuring radio, 4"speakers in the kick panels for that nostalgic sound.

S5005380.jpg

Virtually impossible get handbrake cover and shifter surround blanking piece.

SDC15348.jpg

Another from SubaruKid.

252243_493184870702665_1380142588_n.jpg

Another from Jimi.

478216_378409022246020_1885616612_o.jpg

Thanks again for the great photos guys /\/\ Now another thing ill mention. My cousin got married in December 2012 and I was honoured to be asked by he and his wife to be if I could use the ke70 to ferry them after the reception to the airport before their honeymoon. Down in Melbourne on the 8 December it was 38 degrees, The wedding was 1.30 in the afternoon so it was peak heat and the mighty ke ran like a boss. I on the other hand..... no a/c and vinyl seats need I say more!

During the end of the reception, speeches were made from my cousin(s) so the car and I got an honourable mention for the work I have put into the Corolla in the past 12 months and also in memory of my grandfather who passed it onto me.

So as the reception was wrapping up at 11pm, the 130 or so guests formed a guard of honour in the forecourt leading up the ke70 awaiting the Newlyweds. Lets say it was a talking point as no one was expecting that car. They loved it! Before we knew it the sparklers were lit, the Bride and Groom were coming and in the jumped in the back seat of course! There was plenty of legroom for them and it was a comfortable 60km journey for them.

I don't have photos yet.... hope fully soon. The first ke70 used in an Australian wedding?!

Now the ae92, done a few bits to it.

I had enough of the amber front bar indicator lenses so I replaced them with some clear units from ebay. Good quality considering its a non genuine part which dosent leak. The amber bulbs supplied wouldnt secure properly into the sockets. So I dyed the original bulbs with some model making lense paint.....WIN! These lenses are for a series 2 front bar which are longer overall than a series 1.

Back in August I cleaned my interior in it, you know with a bucket of hot water and endless cloths. It came up alright considering I finished with 3 yes 3 buckets of brown water.

Still though I had this annoying mark on the back seat which I tried removing with the spray on foam which did bugger all. After some time I went into Woolworths and hired "The Rug Doctor" which included the antifoam, cleaning detergent and automotive upholstery attachment.

If you think your interior is clean think again, there will be human slime!

Brown water came out of the seats, in total the seats were cleaned 4 times inbetween cleaning the following door trims, boot carpet, parcel shelf and floor carpet. So in total I had it for 6 hours so I was hammering it till I was happy..... I got there! I'll be doing it again in 12 months or a bit earlier as what it sucks out is crazy. Though it shouldnt be as bad next time...

I need to take more pics as these are "after" shots. Everything looks much richer in colour now! Best $60 you can spend.

Half way through round 1

S5005542.jpg

End of round 2

S5005545.jpg

Back seat cleaned, door trims cleaned and floor carpet.

S5005546.jpg

S5005543.jpg

Edited by Ben-89

• 6 months later...

Time flys when you're having fun!

Finally decided after Hanging Rock Car Show to make some decals for the ke70.. I said I wouldnt add anything but it was too plain...

And these are close copies to factory items.

After many emails tooing and froming with the sign writer here they are, $150 all up including application due to their size.

IMG]http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq162/Ben-001/S5005655_zpsf62f1d59.jpg[/img]

Cheers to Jimi for the great shots!

1017341_468006636619591_1760083674_n_zps6ae33e42.jpg

Copyof996729_468004603286461_1728336647_n_zps35e4f0f8.jpg