Sam_Q

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

other than that there was one built for a custom by road and track that was reported to have produced 200hp, this was told to me by Terry-O when I called him.

I will speak to Terry when i go into work next and see what was involved in the build.

yeah please do, from what I got out of him:

- he did the weld and grind himself

- cosworth blanks where used

- the engine was converted to shimless buckets (1NZ or something I keep forgetting)

and he was extemely negative when I said I didnt want to just throw money at it and have everything custom. But I do think I could of done it on a reasonable budget had Kelfords not closed down.

A bit of a tip for you guys I did the maths and looked at over 20 different piston designs to see whats ideal and I found the silvertop piston is the best match for its shape and dome size. The FE head has the exhuast valves protrude less out of the head so the exhuast side looks fine in terms of valve clearence even though the cutouts are 12 degrees out. So I was planning on just getting the twin valve pockets machined into the intake side, and yes it does look interesting to see 5 intake pockets in a piston. A week after I worked this out I discovered pictures from a guy in Thailand that did just this, if you like guys I can post all the pics I have found so far.

beerhead: I never had a good look at the 5a ports, like the 7a engine most people just make a 5sge engine out if it. Theres someone on ae86dc that has a pretty serious engine build with this combo:

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/board/in...showtopic=35001

Next time I am at the wrecker I will have a decent look at the head, thats assuming the intake manifold isnt too much of a pain to take off.

Yeah, I was planning to try and avoid the hybrid, that way you can get away without custom pistons, and spend the money on cams. 5SFE and 3SGE rods and blocks are the same height, but have a shorter piston height. You can use machined 3VZ or 1MZ pistons, to run a GE head decent atmo compression, but they are on the limits of the oversize that you can go, in standard bore size, and the gudgeon pin is offset due to being from a V6. Probably isn't good for the balance of the motor, especially if you want it to rev.

Top - Inlet, Bottom - Ex

post-437-1226110464_thumb.jpg

beerhead: I never had a good look at the 5a ports, like the 7a engine most people just make a 5sge engine out if it. Theres someone on ae86dc that has a pretty serious engine build with this combo:

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/board/in...showtopic=35001

Next time I am at the wrecker I will have a decent look at the head, thats assuming the intake manifold isnt too much of a pain to take off.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Lol at turbo manifold minus turbo.

it was made for side exit exhaust. turbo wont fit in that manifold sad to say. the clearance between the block and radiator for an ae101 wont fit a turbo... or the turbo i tried to fit, if there is one that fits.

Edited by quattro

it was made for side exit exhaust. turbo wont fit in that manifold sad to say. the clearance between the block and radiator for an ae101 wont fit a turbo... or the turbo i tried to fit, if there is one that fits.

Cool, not being mean just thought it looked odd as it had itb noise and a turbo manifold.

Interesting setup.

Not much progress, but I do have a motor to take good shots of now sam. I'm putting a new 5SFE in my camry atm, and have a good motor to freshen up. No rattles and even with a blown head gasket still runs well. Going to freshen it up soon, hopefully it doesn't need a re-bore but I'll soon find out :yes:

Sam, do you think offset gudgen pins in the piston will make for bad bore wear? I'm thinking so, the rod ratio is bad to start with, and it seems logical that in the V configuration it'd be offset to fight gravity to reduce the sidewall friction. So the 3VZ pistons are probably out of the question for bumping up the compression.

So I'm going to have the crank offset reground a few mm and machine down to 3SGTE size conrod bearings. Then I can have the factory pistons machined down to get rid of some dish to let me run 10 + in compression ratio. The other alternative is getting 5SFE with 3SGTE head turbo pistons, which when you add the FE head are going to be up there compression wise too. It's not gonna run boost so forgies are an overkill thinking that extra stroke might be nice too.

any pics you have would be good.

As for your offset pin you need to talk to an expert, something I only sound like I am.

with machining the stock pistons I would be very wary of machining them down as your afffecting their strength and probably even the expansion ratio, but thats just an educted guess on my behalf. However I am sure there is plenty of extra meat in the turbo pistons. So what happens when you use the stock 5s pistons as is and use a custom rod?