Muffler Or Sports Muffler.

Budowski

Hey guys I'm going to be building a custom exhaust soon and will be looking for a muffler that will keep me legal but barely, 94 db is the limit i think.

So what mufflers have you guys got, likes/dislikes etc. Looking for something that flows nicely, non restrictive.

Edited by Budowski

Members dont see this ad
Exhaust Noise

The exhaust systems on vehicles manufactured on or after 1st January, 1974 must at the time of first registration

comply with ADR 28 - Motor Vehicle Noise.

In service all vehicles must comply with the Road Traffic (Vehicle Standards) Rules 1999 Part 10 Division 3 –

Noise Emissions.

For passenger cars, derivates and panel vans manufactured on or after 1 January 1983 the stationary noise level

when tested must not exceed 90 dB(A).

Passenger cars, derivates and panel vans manufactured before 1 January 1983 the stationary noise level when

tested must not exceed 96 dB(A).

the above quote taken staright from the link below :jamie:

http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/pdfs/person..._bulletin_3.pdf

Edited by MYSTIK

that 90db is at a certain point in the rev range as well, or it used to be :P, hate to think what they would say bout my motor bike since it 92db from the factory and it was built in 1992 :D

also just having a quick look at the lukey website they have 4 different mufflers.

Ultra Flo Muffler, Turbo Muffler, Race Muffler, Original Glass Pack

i think it more a personal choice which one you go with if you get a lukey,

i personally have never used a lukey muffler on any of my cars, but i have heard only good things bout them :jamie:

Edited by MYSTIK

Redback products are very reliable and provide a decent note for a decent price.

Family business is exhausts, old boys been at it for 25 years.

Lukey IMO are crappy, quality wise, they like to rust prematurely, they may sound ok..... until the baffles fall out.

Depends what you are chasing- sound from a std engine and improved flow, or an unrestrictive exhaust for a big power engine etc.

The variables generally decide the product.

Magnaflow work well and provide a decent note.

Also consider price, Stainless mufflers will outlast everything else, stainless mufflers with mild steel pipe is fine for a street car, if the pipes go first, oxy them off and re-use the mufflers.

If you wernt in SA Id say pop in for a chat, but NSW is a bit of a hike for an exhaust!

Redback products are very reliable and provide a decent note for a decent price.

Family business is exhausts, old boys been at it for 25 years.

Lukey IMO are crappy, quality wise, they like to rust prematurely, they may sound ok..... until the baffles fall out.

Depends what you are chasing- sound from a std engine and improved flow, or an unrestrictive exhaust for a big power engine etc.

The variables generally decide the product.

Magnaflow work well and provide a decent note.

Also consider price, Stainless mufflers will outlast everything else, stainless mufflers with mild steel pipe is fine for a street car, if the pipes go first, oxy them off and re-use the mufflers.

If you wernt in SA Id say pop in for a chat, but NSW is a bit of a hike for an exhaust!

Yeah i had a Magnaflow on the supra was an awesome sound, it was 2 1/2 inch from the cat back, i think it was a bigger cat than standard also. Only had the one muffler and car had a nice smooth power output. I think it would only just fit under the corolla tho.

I have done a little reasearch since popping the question and yes the types of muffler construction plays a very big key.

I've got a no-name cannon that was on special at repco.

I didn't mean to buy it, it came with the (second hand) full exhaust I bought, i didn't get it from repco, think it was $100 originally? which is what i paid for the full exhaust, including the muffler, second hand.

Its a bit loud. don't think it has much resistence either (its loud enough to think it wasn't there)

If you get a second hand exhaust, watch out for rust, the extractors and most of the exhaust had to be thrown away after they tried welding it in at carline.

The extractors weren't even flush with the block, they tried to fill in the gap. it lasted about 30 k's.

It was up the shit. WATCH OUT FOR SECOND HAND EXHAUSTS!!! rusted through, was pretty old.

I recommend getting an exhaust done if you're going to get a muffler, but its your car, why weld a cannon onto a smaller pipe if you can get it welded onto an upgraded exhaust?

you can get them new pretty cheap, i think my extractors is called "wildcat" which is standard shit they put on all 4K's, but again, I was desperate and just wanted some extractors, and heard rob bliss are good, have a few mates who were happy with them.

I got my exhaust (fixed) by rob bliss because i was in a hurry, they seemed to get it done good, but there's already surface rust on the extractors?! which worries me a bit because of what happeend to the old one... might have done with a good paint first?

i only fixed my exhaust cos it was broken. if you can take the time to do it yourself, who knows.

anyway you only asked about the muffler...

please don't go for a fart cannon, they are the most overdone, droning bits of shit in existance.

to me, nothing says " i couldnt afford a real exhaust, so i copied everyone else" like a cannon hanging out the back.

If you must fit a cannon, atleast go spend the money and buy a decent one. It shouldnt cost you $99 from repco or supercheap, decent quality stainless cannons with decent baffles should be around $250-$400 mark.

As for surface rust on extractors, thats no big deal, anything that gets very hot and cold alot will have condensation, the cheap brand of headers might explain why the paint hasn't held up.

Spend the money on decent brand extractors (if you buy new), cheap ones are just that... cheap! they wont flow as well, the welds wont be as good and they wont last as long as a more expensive branded set (Steer clear of genie, they have been on a downhill slide for a while now)

Paceys are about the best off the shelf extractor for most applications these days. And come nice pacemaker blue heat treated, so no surface rust!

2nd hand exhaust systems are shit, ill agree on that, unless its from a mate or very cheap, its not worth it, you are better off to have one made.

2nd hand extractors (especially for older cars) can be fine, I run a 2nd hand set (although HPC coated, and modified :) ) on my LJ torana.

I'm running Tri-Y paceys on my ute and they're begining to develop surface rust (after 18 months) :)

Anywho. I got a quote for a sports exhaust for my rolla. 2 1/4 with a straight thru muffler and resi for $280 in mild steel. If your interested PM me an i'll give you his details.