3k Pistons In 4k

Members dont see this ad
from what ive read on the tough k series motor fAQ the 3k pistons are better than the repco 4k pistons. Am i right in my thinking that if i got a reasonable block, with pistons that aren't undersized or worn, i can use these in a 4k block???

http://www.rollaclub.com/faq/index.php?title=Main_Page

^^^ all the info you need to answer your question is in there ^^^

Doesn't look like it'd be a problem, although I'd be concerned about a 35 year old piston demonstrating fatigue issues (aluminium alloy).

My 5K pistons cost 160 through my engine builder for 40 thou oversize. They are actually a Mahle item. Given that Mahle make OEM equipment for Porsche I can't see where you'd go wrong.

3k pistons do NOT fit in a 4k block the cut out on the bottom of the piston is shallower and they hit the counter weights on the crankshaft.

buy a new set of acl pistons, you won't regret it.

I re ringed a 4k when I was back in high school on a strict budget, and found a piston cracked, tried to fit a 3k piston and found this out. I ended up getting a 2nd hand 4k piston and fitting it. Now this is where I would like to bring up another point that is very important:

If you are using 2nd hand pistons, or re using pistons, measure how much the ring grooves are worn!!! I didn't do this and they were worn excessively especially the 2nd hand piston that I put in, and all of my compression rings snapped 10,000 km later, with pieces of ring working up the side of the piston and mashing up the combustion chamber and piston badly. They were all broken and had been for some time, you could tell because the car was down on power and not sounding as crisp as it ought to.

If you are rebuilding an engine, I would strongly reccommend that you buy new pistons. If the lip on the top of the bore is not too big, and the bore is not overly worn, and your budget is very tight, I would buy new acl standard pistons and fit them. The acl pistons are miles better than the standard repco pistons that came in the car. The repco ones were prone to cracking as well.

Robert.

My 5K pistons cost 160 through my engine builder for 40 thou oversize. They are actually a Mahle item. Given that Mahle make OEM equipment for Porsche I can't see where you'd go wrong.

ACL = Mahle

Well Mahle own ACL now and alot of ACL ring sets now come in MAHLE boxes

but are not made in germany.

stu.