Air Conditioning System

TC16

I wanna put air con in the seca, I'm guessing its a big job to pull one out of something like this http://cars2.ebay.com.au/Toyota-Corolla_W0...emZ200320162390 and put it in my car.

I don't need air con until summer now but its not a good daily driver when it gets hot (its always hot in QLD)

or I could stop being a pussy and forget about air con

Members dont see this ad

Cheapest way is to find an AE82 TWIN CAM (not a 4AC) and remove every single part related to the aircon. That includes all the pulleys and tensioners for the belts, compressor and bracket, piping and brackets that mount them, firewall and bulkhead grommets, plus the underdash stuff including the section of wiring loom and climate control buttons.

Research exactly what you need as there is surprisingly rather a lot.

Bear in mind that the pulley arrangement is likely to be different for a PS equipped car compared to a non PS equipped car. And the pulley setups can be a problem if you don't have them.

Cheapest way is to find an AE82 TWIN CAM (not a 4AC) and remove every single part related to the aircon. That includes all the pulleys and tensioners for the belts, compressor and bracket, piping and brackets that mount them, firewall and bulkhead grommets, plus the underdash stuff including the section of wiring loom and climate control buttons.

Research exactly what you need as there is surprisingly rather a lot.

Bear in mind that the pulley arrangement is likely to be different for a PS equipped car compared to a non PS equipped car. And the pulley setups can be a problem if you don't have them.

The tensioner pulley is different between PS and non PS cars, neither was standard in the AE82 Twincam models but both were very common options, so common that it's quite rare to find one without both PS and aircon

Here's the belt path for a PS/AC car, you can see that the tensioner pulley acts on the opposite side of the belt to the PS-only cars

P1070088_copy.jpg

Ignore the blue line (I was contemplating removing the aircon but didn't have the PS-only tensioner), the yellow line is the PS + aircon belt-path with the red tensioner pulley on the outside of the belt - the PS-only beltpath will have the tensioner on the inside, and thus is ribbed (so you can't use the same tensioner pulley)

To illustrate the point.

My original 3 rib bigport RWD engine was an A/C and P/S example, I believe out of a Corona.

My AE86 didn't have P/S and I had a hell of a time trying to locate an appropriate idler pulley because as mentioned above, the belt runs on the other side of the pulley.

Eventually I worked out I could use one from an AW11 MR2.

You won't have that problem here as FWD AE82 examples should be relatively easy to find. Just make sure you use a donor with the same engine as yours.

My AE86 didn't have P/S and I had a hell of a time trying to locate an appropriate idler pulley because as mentioned above, the belt runs on the other side of the pulley.

I would have thought for a non-PS system with air-con you could just run the same tensioner as the aircon+PS system, just with a shorter belt.

No, the positioning was such that you couldn't tension the belt. With the MR2 tensioner, all was good.

Where was the tensioner? On mine it's between and below the crank pulley and the air-con compressor, with the power steering pump sitting on top of the aircon compressor. So the lower half of the belt path is identical regardless of whether the PS pump is there or not, you'll just have greater wrap around the air-con pulley and crank pulley.

Toyodiy show the same tensioner setup for AC-only and PS/AC combined.

diag_AyEtey.png

Bearing in mind this was 15 years ago, and I have since pulled any sign of A/C out of this car......

The idler I didn't have was the one that pulls up. I did have the one that pushes down. I think...

The point being, make sure you remove every single bit related to the aircon, it can be a real pain in the arse trying to source what you need later on.

Sorry, I was assuming you had a 4AGE. If you don't, make sure you get a 4AC engined car as the donor.

Comment re pulleys stands.

yeah it is the 4age in there, it sounds very complicated, I really don't know what to do with this car. I love this car so much but its becoming a hassle to drive as a daily.

maybe the bank will buy me an old wrx

thanks for the info all

so common that it's quite rare to find one without both PS and aircon

BS.

yeah it is the 4age in there, it sounds very complicated, I really don't know what to do with this car. I love this car so much but its becoming a hassle to drive as a daily.

maybe the bank will buy me an old wrx

thanks for the info all

I have everything needed for for a 4age AE82 a/c system if you are still keen on installing it but bear in mind that you have to take out most of your dash.

Nearly every series 1 twincam have no a/c or p/s, Every series 2 twincams I have had have had p/s and sometimes a/c.

And considering most Twincams on the road are Series 2/3 (Series 1 were sold for only 1 year, Series 2/3 for 3 or 4 years), so the majority of AE82 TCs out there will have at least PS OR air-con, and significant numbers will have both. Out of the at least half a dozen AE82 TCs that I know reasonably well, only one has neither P/S or aircon.