K series timing chains

Banjo

Question about the K series timing chain. I stripped my newly acquired 5K down at the weekend.

Got a Toyota 2K to 5K genuine engine manual yesterday off eBay which I will use to check all original measurements.

Note that some in these threads are suggesting that the timing chain be changed to 2 row on 5Ks.

I agree ! From my experience with chains in any application. They streeeetch over time.

Question. Where do you get a double row timing chain & sprokets for the 5K ? Are they an aftermarket part ?

I note, and old 3K I have here in the garage has a double row timing chain on it as standard. Do the 3K double chains & cam & crankshaft sprockets fit straight onto a 5K ?

:D

Members dont see this ad

I heard a similar rumour about the sump too. I think it was about a 4k one though.

From what i understand, some people think that the 5k sump will interfere with the engine cross member. I'm running a 5k sump and it clears the cross member by no more than 10mm.

Hope thats what you were talking about.

a 5k sump fits fine in a ke15. the previous dished 4k had an identical sump and it fitted with the splash shield, before i had to remove it for my swaybar setup. i have no xmember clearance issues, and i have lowered the engine mount on the manifold side by 10mm or so.

my first experience with single row chains was with an imported 4k. the thing rattled like a bitch. i replaced the single row chain, and had to redo it again only 12 months or so later as it stretched real fast. after the pain it was to change over the first time, i raided a double row setup off an old 3k (with new chain and tensioners), as i didn't want to do it again in a hurry.

i have converted a couple of dished 4k's and my 5k to double row. you just need to pirate the double row setup from an old 3k. bolts straight in.

about the only thing i can really think of to stop someone converting to double row, is the pain in the ass it is to do it in the car. ie. raising the engine, dropping the sump and removing the timing cover, then having to seal it all up again.

as opposed to raising the engine, dropping the sump and removing the timing cover, then having to seal it all up again on a regular basis to replace single row timing chains :D

seriously, it takes me 2 hours to remove and reinstall a K motor. start saturday before lunch, do the swap, let your sump gasket dry overnight, drive it to church sunday morning :D