Speedo's Out

Umm... so I had a auto diff from the auto -> manual conversion, and my speedo was a bit out, showing me I was doing less than I actually was, but only about 5% or so.

Now I've changed the diff to a KE55 manual with a ratio of 4:11, and my speedo seems to be more out, saying I'm doing 50 when I'm doing 60 and 80 when I'm doing 100.

How do I fix it?

Cheers, Lexxi.

Members dont see this ad

Hi

I would try a different speedo head in it out of a manual .

Or can sometimes change the ratios on the back of the speedo its self.

I havent looked at one so I'm not to sure if this can be done or not ,can on some though.

I can't see cable being a problem unless it frayed or partly siezed.Make sure its a manual cable to not auto.

rob

Edited by corollaart

The speedo drive is located in the side of the box where the cable screws on. There should be a small bolt near it clamping the drive in place. Undo the bolt and remove the clamp, then the drive should just pull out (be careful not to damage the o-ring around the outside of it).

Trav you may find that your speedo might be out going from auto to manual, if thats the case you may have to also change the speedo drive to something more suitable if you don't like your speedo being out.

Just remember what speed you speedo reads when you are actually doing 60, 80 & 100. Mine did the same thing when I changed the diff from a 4.3 jap to a 4.1 borgy. 100km/h was actually reading 120km/h on the speedo. Just left it as it was.

Alright so today we tried the whole speedo cable thing.

We took out the old one, 22 spikes on it.

Took the one out of the parts car, 22 spikes on it.

We can't work out why the speedo would be out if it has 4K engine, gearbox and diff, and it has the correct cable [the parts car is a stock 4k manual ke55 so that would be all the right stuff for my engine etc]

Soooooo, if the gearbox is from a 3k, would it make a difference? [the engine was originally 3k, its possible the previous owner changed to manual before he upgraded the engine and got it off a 3k]

Would the gearbox be any different and could that effect the whole speedo cable --> speedo connection?

EDIT: Ok, so someone deleted all the posts saying something about the speedo cable, I guess tomorrow I'll be under there lookin for the damn speedo gears. Hmph.

Edited by Lexxi[ke35]

Alright so today we tried the whole speedo cable thing.

We took out the old one, 22 spikes on it.

Took the one out of the parts car, 22 spikes on it.

We can't work out why the speedo would be out if it has 4K engine, gearbox and diff, and it has the correct cable [the parts car is a stock 4k manual ke55 so that would be all the right stuff for my engine etc]

Soooooo, if the gearbox is from a 3k, would it make a difference? [the engine was originally 3k, its possible the previous owner changed to manual before he upgraded the engine and got it off a 3k]

Would the gearbox be any different and could that effect the whole speedo cable --> speedo connection?

EDIT: Ok, so someone deleted all the posts saying something about the speedo cable, I guess tomorrow I'll be under there lookin for the damn speedo gears. Hmph.

Your car most likely has a auto diff in it, The auto Transmission has a speedo drive gear suited to a auto Diff ratio. motor size gearbox type is irrelevant, tail-shaft spinning speed is what is measured.

the Tyres size will also affect the speedo reading. there should be a tyre specification on the inside of the boot.

Edited by KE30_KE35_KE55

No, I took the auto diff out and put in a manual one. From a completely stock, completely manual car.

And the tyres are the right size. It was ok before I changed diff. It was a bit out but not hugely like it is now.

Its not tyres or an auto diff, I know that much.