Wanting To Change Over From 4afe Single Cam To Double Cam

sus016

Members dont see this ad
hey all i got an ae92 with a 4afe single cam and I'm wanting to convert to either a 4afe 1600 Twin cam. any advice much appreciated

Umm, you already have a twin cam engine, technically. The 4AFE is a slave-cam design, with one belt-driven cam gear and the second camshaft driven off the first by gears.

What you're probably really wanting is an upgrade from the economy-spec 4AFE to the wide-angle DOHC 4AGE.

i though the 4afe also came with a dohc, if not I'm mistaken but that is what i meant i am looking to do, if I'm wrong what else could i plant in that would not be too difficult or costly but be a little bit of an upgrade from the stock one that done 307000 that to my knowledge is still un-touched

i though the 4afe also came with a dohc, if not I'm mistaken but that is what i meant i am looking to do, if I'm wrong what else could i plant in that would not be too difficult or costly but be a little bit of an upgrade from the stock one that done 307000 that to my knowledge is still un-touched

DOHC means double overhead cams, all -F and -G Toyota heads are technically DOHC, but the -F heads are slave cam and the -G heads are independent

• 3 months later...
DOHC means double overhead cams, all -F and -G Toyota heads are technically DOHC, but the -F heads are slave cam and the -G heads are independent

I have a 4AFE in my Tazz(SA). Have fitted a 50mm freeflow exhaust and 4-1 headers(41mm), filter, had it dynoed and it goes really well. A friend of mine took 1800(7AFE) cams, had them reprofiled, aftermarket FMS, port and gasflow, double valve-springs and the car revved to 7800 easily.

(4a) Engine series

(F) "Economical" worm gear driven twin cam. 22 degrees or something from memory.

(E) Fuel injection.

(G) "Performance" Twin cam, or DOHC, at aprox 45 degrees from memory.

©, eg. 4afc, Carburetted twin cam 16 valve.

And if you have a 4afe, ive seen some guys get really impressive reliable power out of them without internal changes. But the injection is a huge help with it all, mostly with forced induction :P

Edited by ae824ate

• 2 weeks later...
erm.. stupid question here..

can 4AFE bolt to T50 transmission without modification..?

_Should_ do, they use the same bolt-pattern as 4AGEs so I can't see any problem there. More likely to have problems with the clutch/flywheel (but they shouldn't be too major), and you'd have to make sure you got the right T50 though of course.

• 2 weeks later...

Woelwater WP: while I love what you guys do with the FE's over in capetown this is highly likely the earlier model 4afe. The earlier 4afe was crap in many ways an doesnt respond to power upgrades like the later ones do that you guys got.

ae824ate: yes 22 degrees vs 50 for the 4age 16v and 50+25 degrees for a 4age 20V. But you do know about 23 degrees is the best angle for high end power?

junhung: chuck a spigot bearing on and it will bolt right up, standard flywheel is directly compatable too.