Ae71 Nicknamed Dice

fusion

My mate did a 4A-GE conversion in his KE70 and he used a T-50 but he's got my old K50 speedo cable on it and it's out according to his GPS. It may sound really odd but there may be a difference between cables???

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My mate did a 4A-GE conversion in his KE70 and he used a T-50 but he's got my old K50 speedo cable on it and it's out according to his GPS. It may sound really odd but there may be a difference between cables???

Its more likely got the wrong cog in the gearbox, for a different final drive ratio. There is a small cog in the box (on the speedo drive I think) that sets the relative number of turns for a different final drive ratio. This is most likely your problem. You have to order the right cog from Toyota or try to find a compatible one from another box. Luckily I have a 4.3 diff and jdm t50 from an ae86 so my speedo is spot on.

Was his car a manual or auto ke70 to begin with? From memory, the auto had a 4.3:1 final drive, and I think manuals had 4.1. AE71 Manuals are 3.9 so unless you have a 3.9 diff installed your speedo will be out (assuming you used an ae71 t50).

post-2885-1245225524_thumb.png

Edited by LittleRedSpirit

Cheers Matt :wink:

Picking up all the parts needed for my Soarer fog lights tomorrow. Hopefully install them this weekend before my next hills run.

If anyones looking for a handy diagram, I found this one through Google:

Fog Light Installation

Also my Weber setup arrived and looks to be all smick :y: Trying to see if I can get a mate to install that aswell this weekend.

Cheers Fusion

Soo . . . driving along today, nothing serious and all of a sudden the temperature gauge goes right up to the top and dumped all the coolant. I am hopping its just the thermostat jamming shut, but I am getting a mechanic mate to check it out.

Yey :y: :y:

Hey Ross got pics of the fog lights? Thinking about putting some on my wagon

Hopefully the problem turns out to be an easy fix like thermostat

I like this car, the best colour for slant fronts, and looks pretty clean too

Cheers, Ben.

Not yet, I will try next week though. Need a camera first :y:

But I got all the wiring done, with relays, fuses and switches. Only main problem is the beaver / front apron panel can't support the weight, so I am making up a support brace. If you want one before hand I could always send one to your mobile (just need your number)

And yeah, hoping its an easy fix. Just drove her home from spending the day alone in a strange neighborhood . . . poor Dicey . . .

Edited by fusion

Soo . . . .

Under the car this morning and I take a random look at my front strut, only to notice my brake claiper looks a little funny. I realise its only being held on by one loose bolt . . . :y: Things just get better and better :y:

• 3 weeks later...

So over 2 weeks later the car should be getting some work done tomorrow.

- Another radiator (recored and all redone)

- Radiator cap

- Radiator hoses

- Thermostat (never had one)

- New gaskets

- New water housing

- New coolant

- Brake caliper bolts

So fingers cross it fixes her up so I can get her back on the road.

Also been able to install some front end bushes while she was off road. Hopefully handle a little better to after a wheel alignment and new rear tyres

Cheers Fusion

• 2 weeks later...

So any updates on this issue is it all fixed now???

Oh and that wasn't me who passed you up near Mount Lofty, my car was tucked away while I was away on holiday :lolcry:

I don't have stock suspension anymore either, perhaps get your facts straight next time hey :lolcry: I would have replied to you on AE86DC but registration has been disabled so I couldn't sign up. I'm not sure why you feel the need to continually pay my car out when you don't know me or the car :y:

I didn't think it was you . . . didn't look your kind of style. And I knew you had put in springs, but I meant as an overall setup suspension wise. Thought you said you haven't upgraded much due to money and no need for it now *shrug And with the way that car was handling and going through some of the passes . . . you would of had to of had some decent setup

Yeah issues all sorted. Cooling now stays about 1/3rd through the guage and sticks there so I'm happy with that.

Also got new castor arm bushes and 24mm front adjustable swaybar in with some modifications. It seems to be going alright, but I really need new rear tyres . . . Bridgestone just don't cut it :y:

• 2 weeks later...

So new rear springs ordered. Should have them in this week. And new rear tyres ordered and hopefully in and all sorted Friday.

About the only thing left to do with suspension is an adjustable panhad rod, but that will be more of an accessory . . so not to sure yet and maybe Corona LCA's. Besides that its pretty much hunky dory and should grip through the corners pretty nicely :hmm:

Cheers Fusion

• 2 weeks later...

Took it out for a good run tonight with the new suspension setup. Its good . . . but its still not right. Going to get either new panhad rod bushes or an adjustable new rod and get it all balanced and aligned properly than see how it feels.

Cheers Fusion . . . Really should stop being slack and get some picutres :)

Front:

- AE71 Struts

- Castor / Camber tops

- KYB Shocks

- 6KG front spring (about 2" lowered)

- 24MM adjustable front swaybar

- New castor arm bushes

- Yokohama A drives (gripy) at around 40PSI

Rear:

- T18 diff

- KYB shocks

- 4.5kg springs (about 3" lowered)

- No swaybar

- Bridgestone Allrounders. Really need to get these changed as they are the main thing limiting me

- Rooted panhad rod bushes. Also another factor that needs to be fixed

Like I said, its good. Last night I checked my front tyres after the run and they were down around 4 - 5PSI. It was interesting the amount of difference I could feel in just pumping them back up to 40PSI

Edited by fusion

Another set back . . . Waterpump gasket looks to be rooted and is leaking a fair bit of coolant. So its off the road. Luckily got a new one off Ebay and it should be express posted tomorrow. Hopefully all fixed by Wednesday. Also got to get new headlight and parker globes. So new tyres have to wait more now.

Cheers Fusion