Which Exedy Clutch To Get For Jdm 4age

trav_555

Ok well I'm going to need a new clutch for my jdm 16v 4age. It has a Toda racing 3.9kg flywheel.

Gonna be used for beginners track days/Drift/Gymkhana also will be my daily.

Just wondering:

A.) Do i just get an australian spec ae86 Exedy clutch? or do i need to special order one, or do i need it off an ae92 etc.

In the FAQ it states that there are 2 types of clutches so I'm guessing I can just get the ae86/ae71 4ac version yea?

B.) What are peoples opinions on these clutches? There are a few types I can get which would suit my needs the most?

Heavy Duty Kit

Heavy Duty Button Kit

Heavy Duty Cushion Button Kit

There are 2 versions of this: Sports Organic Kit?

What are the differences between these clutches and how do they affect drivablity/slipping etc etc.

I understand a button clutch would be a pain in a daily car yes? Because it just is either on or off.

So really I just don't know what a cushion button is or a sports organic.

Thanks in advance.

Travis.

Members dont see this ad

You want to measure the outside diametre of the clutch disc contact area. Count the splines on the input shaft while you're in the shed and you've got pretty much all you need to know to pick your kit.

As for the types: The heavy duty is just that, a heavier duty full disc plate. They'll also come with a heavier clamping force pressure plate. This would be your choise if you want the best everyday drivability, but might slip if you really push it say on a drag strip or drifting.

The HDB & HDCB both have several button pucks (depending on the kit) instead of a full plate. Both will be a bit 'grabby' but the difference between the two is the cusioned button has cusioning springs in the middle like a normal clutch, were the HDB just has a solid plate. This makes the HDB pretty much 'on/off' where the HDCB will still have a little bit of give.

I have a HDCB in my turbo car with a flywheel which would be about much the same weight as yours. I don't think its too bad and am now used to it, but another member here has just put the same kit in his car and dis-likes it so much he wants to pull it out! It can be a little tricky same for say hill starts but a few more revs and an attentive left foot and you'll be right. :bash:

Either of these kits should do you:

http://www.exedy.com.au/SpecSheet.aspx?Spr...heetRowId=39461

http://www.exedy.com.au/SpecSheet.aspx?Spr...heetRowId=39468

.....hang on, they're both the same kit!!!! :bash: :D

and info on ceramic/organic can be found here...

http://www.exedy.com.au/SingleSportsSeries.aspx

:)

Ceramic buttons are NOT fun to drive on the street. If you intend to drive the car as a daily I would advise you look for another option. If its just going to be a weekend warrior just beware that they can be temperamental. The clutch chatter is very capable of destroying gearboxes if you don't know how to manage it.

Do not get any sort of button clutch for street driving. If you do, you will regret it.

Button type clutches of any type are for race cars. As above, you will likely destroy the rest of your driveline, possibly have an accident trying to drive normally about town, and almost certainly bring yourself to the attention of you know who..... :bash:

Heavy duty will be more than adequate for what you propose whilst retaining driveability.

I ran just a stock HD type clutch in my 300 rwhp 180sx. It served me well for a number of years and was still not slipping when i sold the car. On another note, I've driven my brothers 12a turbo 1300 wagon with a button type clutch and it's a pain in the ass around town.

I recommend that you go with the heavy duty...