82 Ke70

Ok guys second time corolla owner first time modifier here. bit of a lurker when it comes to rollaclub.

Basically i want more power. At the moment I have a 4k

High comp

extractors and zorst

32/36 webber

oversized pistons

big unknown cam

had a custom re curved ice dizzy but it broke so its got a standard one on atm.

After having some HUGE problems with the car for about 1 month of it not running or running but shit or whatever i replaced before mentioned dizzy, the leads, the coil and the plugs and then it started working. buuut must have stuffed it up because it ended up pinging like a mofo. wondered what it was for a while but didnt know. then clicked too late. damage was done. it now has completely stuffed rings and blows more smoke then an old diesel. If you take the oil cap off after running it for even like 30 seconds you get bulk oilly air and smoke coming out :wink:

anyways. sooner or later it will need a freshen up.

after thinking about it a LOT. i am completly unsure of what road to go down. i have had an engine builder up here quote me 3500 for a worked 4k with 5k head.

ACL race rebuild kit (pistons rods bearings ect) 40 thou oversized

Balanced

Big cam

Lightened flywheel.

Will rev to 9k and make power till its stop reving they say. The quote was for me taking the car to them and picking it up finished. BUUT i think that is a hell of alot of money for a k motor. even if it does crack 100hp. thats not 3.5k well spent at all.

Building it myself is the next obvious option, and i read Tough 4k but tbh I'm not very confidant in my engine building ability's.

I am looking for other options. the next thing would be to go 4age some might say. but then i think. if i am going to be changing gear box engine cross member peddlebox prob diff as well.. i might as well go bigger then a 4age. maybe something like 13bt?

done alot of searching around but it made things worse knowing there are so many options! basically i have no idea where to go from here or what to do. just wondering if anyone has come across a similer situation and wanted to go something other then 4age?

cheers!

jack

Members dont see this ad

For a street car stay WAAAY clear of anything that makes power at 9000rpm. You will get sick of having to rev the nuts off it all the time to get anywhere. What you want is torque and the easiest way to get it is to go bigger.

For $3500, I'm guessing that you could do a 7K conversion (1.8l) which looks identical to the stocker, so Mr policeman wont hassle you everytime that you get pulled over.

Ok guys second time corolla owner first time modifier here. bit of a lurker when it comes to rollaclub.

Basically i want more power. At the moment I have a 4k

High comp

extractors and zorst

32/36 webber

oversized pistons

big unknown cam

had a custom re curved ice dizzy but it broke so its got a standard one on atm.

After having some HUGE problems with the car for about 1 month of it not running or running but shit or whatever i replaced before mentioned dizzy, the leads, the coil and the plugs and then it started working. buuut must have stuffed it up because it ended up pinging like a mofo. wondered what it was for a while but didnt know. then clicked too late. damage was done. it now has completely stuffed rings and blows more smoke then an old diesel. If you take the oil cap off after running it for even like 30 seconds you get bulk oilly air and smoke coming out :wink:

anyways. sooner or later it will need a freshen up.

after thinking about it a LOT. i am completly unsure of what road to go down. i have had an engine builder up here quote me 3500 for a worked 4k with 5k head.

ACL race rebuild kit (pistons rods bearings ect) 40 thou oversized

Balanced

Big cam

Lightened flywheel.

Will rev to 9k and make power till its stop reving they say. The quote was for me taking the car to them and picking it up finished. BUUT i think that is a hell of alot of money for a k motor. even if it does crack 100hp. thats not 3.5k well spent at all.

Building it myself is the next obvious option, and i read Tough 4k but tbh I'm not very confidant in my engine building ability's.

I am looking for other options. the next thing would be to go 4age some might say. but then i think. if i am going to be changing gear box engine cross member peddlebox prob diff as well.. i might as well go bigger then a 4age. maybe something like 13bt?

done alot of searching around but it made things worse knowing there are so many options! basically i have no idea where to go from here or what to do. just wondering if anyone has come across a similer situation and wanted to go something other then 4age?

cheers!

jack

G`day mate,my opinion of your problem revolves around the actual condition of your car. You have to ask yourself if it is actually worth spending 3.5 k on a 1982 motor car, even if it is a rolla. If the answer is yes, then it would be my decision to go for a 7k for simplicity alone. You will come up with extra neddy`s and torque that you won`t get from a 4k and then you have the option of working it mildly for a bit more grunt.

Anyway, your decision. Good luck either way.

4AGE it's the motor for me :wink:

Get a decent 86 or 100kwer in there with exhaust, intake, cams and ecu.

If you can't find a motor cheaply have a hunt around, sometimes you can find whole ae82s for under $800 running and that gives you nearly everything for the swap.

If you want to go 13BT then you need to start making custom bits. All the parts for a 4AGE conversion can be sourced from factory cars and will bolt straight up with minimal fuss.

Plenty of people out there with hybrid car/motors, I personally like to keep it in the family and have 2 rollas, one 16v & one 20v.

hmm 7k seems an option. anyone actually used one in their rolla? i have been told that they are a bit of a truck engine?

and i know what you mean about a high reving street car. its annoying enough to drive at the moment. you simply can't drive it down low.

that being said i do want to be able to wind it out a bit every now and again.

what did the 7k come out in?

so if i can pick up a ae82 its got pretty much every thing i need for a 4age install? or did some of them come out with 4ac's?

thanks for the input guys, very helpful. hadn't even thought of a 7k.

so if i can pick up a ae82 its got pretty much every thing i need for a 4age install? or did some of them come out with 4ac's?

You need a fair bit more than just a base engine to do a RWD install of a 4AGE, especially into a KE70 (such as RWD intake manifold, possibly water pump/thermostat, gearbox, gearbox crossmember, engine crossmember etc). And most AE82s came out with the asthmatic 4AC (all models except the SE which had the 2AC, and the Twincam which had the bigport 4AGE).

Ah yeah i was forgetting about the Rwd problem.

so with the 7k, you need to modify the sump, and there is a problem with the gearbox? can i just use my 4k clutch to mate it up with a ke70 5 speed?

is this all?

7k seems the best way to go. easily modified to fit in the ke70 and still easy to work on tune ect. How much more powerful then a 5k would this be? is it worth the extra effort? and matt, how well does your rev? still want to confirm they arn't to much of a truck engine.

I spent about 2k and did most of the work myself to get 68.8rwkw. A couple of hundred more to get some porting done and I would easily break 100hp.

That 2k included a fully rebuilt and balanced 5K, twin dellortos, dyno tune, 5 speed, camshaft, etc.

You could save some money here and there as well, but you won't make that power.

so I have found a high ace parked in a paddock quite close to where i live. I'm thinking go and offer them 200 bucks for it, tow it away, rip out the 5k, stick my cam in it and then into my car. bit more tork down low and cheap replacement until I finally figure where I am gunna go with my car.

I assume that there is no such thing as 4k and 5k cam? but just k motor cams?

Also, do I need anything special to run the 5k or will all my 4k ancillary's do fine?

If I were you I'd rebuild the motor you have! If it just needs rings its not that expensive and you will learn heaps by persevering with that engine until you have it running at its peak.. The more you strip and rebuld it the more you learn.

Then buy a better engine and modify it while you are driving the car everyday.

First up, graph the cam and post up the figures to see what people on here think. It may be completely unsuitable for the carbs and dizzy, so it will never let you idle at 750rpm. All you need for that is a big circular protractor and a dial guage, tools you will need to setting up a hot cam in a new motor anyway.

Edited by altezzaclub

Yeah I was originally planning to rebuild this motor. But it was a speedway motor, then flogged for about 7 years before I got it, so its well tired. Its hard to decide what to do. but I guess it wouldn't be to hard for me to strip down the motor and give it new rings and a freshen up. Its got some really strange problems thou, like it gets realyl severe detonation randomly every now and again, and cutting out at 120kmph. The biggest problem i have is that the valve train sounds like a bucket of coins falling onto a metal bench between 1.2k and 3.5k rpm.

Once I get an engine stand and another car sorted to drive around in ill strip it down and get working on it. Apparently ACL make a race rebuild kit for the 4k motor. comes in 20thou and 40thou oversized for about 500 bucks. Might be worth looking into.

Edited by Captain_Fantastic

If I were you I'd rebuild the motor you have! If it just needs rings its not that expensive and you will learn heaps by persevering with that engine until you have it running at its peak.. The more you strip and rebuld it the more you learn.

Then buy a better engine and modify it while you are driving the car everyday.

First up, graph the cam and post up the figures to see what people on here think. It may be completely unsuitable for the carbs and dizzy, so it will never let you idle at 750rpm. All you need for that is a big circular protractor and a dial guage, tools you will need to setting up a hot cam in a new motor anyway.

I second that. rebuild the engine you have, you will learn much more and appreciate it more when its done. 4k's aren't slow if they are built and set up right. that being said it will take some time and some thinking to get it all right.

Robert.

Yeah I was originally planning to rebuild this motor. But it was a speedway motor, then flogged for about 7 years before I got it, so its well tired.

Raped more like :dance:

i remember second gear stand stills and many a time hitting 9000rpm dragging people :bash:

that engine was a freak. RIP THE 4k

• 2 weeks later...