The Tosco Manual Tuning

20V_KE35

Hai there, can anyone tell me,

Can the third stage head tuning be fitted with the 2nd stage engine setup.

why for this tuning? I'm try to make my 3k to able to revv high (for the drifting purpose). So to be safe with my engine (affraid it will blown), can this setup be apply????

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't even know what a "3rd stage head" or a "2nd stage engine" is. Everytime I think of the word stage I think of like somewhere people perform or make a fool of themselves, and rocket boosters falling off space ships...

I don't know i'm stuck on stage 4 tosco parts with a stage 1 tosco head

what ur engine revv limit???(red line as some prefer)...what the 1, 2, 3, stage revv limit? ...didnt this limit are control by the cam profile right?

my car still stock spec...drifting but got to upgrade to lsd and revv high to catch up with other guys....(actually I'm bored drifting with side technique....) :dance:

Okay. As the owner of probably the grunty-est 3K in here, let me advise you of a few things.

1: 3K's will rev, but not as high as you want it to and still be reliable. Not without an AMAZING amount of money being thrown at it.

2: Just because it will rev, doesn't mean it will drift. You need torque. Google it if you have to. 3K= limited torque.

3: Engine RPM is limited by a lot of things. Just because it will get there doesn't mean its doing anything.

Research is everything.

P.S: This board has a very low tolerance for drifting, unless you're very good at it.

thank mate for ur answer....but my question are:-

1. what the rev limt after tuning to 2nd stage and third stage????

2. Can the 3rd stage head tuning be mount with 2nd stage engine tuning?

(ok i notice than this forum not in attention on drifting...but the engine functional still are my best concern here) that become just this forum have info on 3k and the most important of all it ALIVE!!! :dance:

Well, we don't build engines to "stages" here. The rev limit depends on what cam you have, what valve springs are in it... etc. It's pointless having an engine with peak power at 5k rpm and reving it to 8k, when changing gears is a far better option. Unless you give us engine specs, can't really tell you anything.

R

yes i understand what ur saying.....but i need it cause while drifting (beginner) usually used 2nd gear and rev it high...so i got want ending up blowing my engine...(It a long way home).

talking about spring....it say used dual spring...what is the cheapest (part from junk yard) will fit this??and don't forget the rockers seleeves too? sob

Your valve springs should be matched to your camshaft. In theory they only need changing if you have more than .400" lift at the spring. I'll say again, unless you give us a good idea of the engine specs, we can't tell you a suggested redline.

...but thats about all as the parts are no longer made.....

can't we use standard part from other toyota model to replace this parts???like the 1nz-fe under shim bucket can be use to replace 4age shim bucket...any info guys?? :dance:

is this mean i can't tune my 3k engine according to the tosco manual???I'm sad to hear this...all hope gone...unless...guy can u help me out . ok here the target of my tuning. 3k, high revv (7-8krpm if could 9krpm), twin weber 40 dcoe, and torquee...for drift project (can wait to slit rubber infront of them while tsusio battle) :dance:

the tosco manual has been out for many many years, these days we know how to build BETTER, more reliable and torquey motors than the tosco 3k, and for less money

you can certainly follow the tosco manual if you like, but you're best to look around at all the available tuning options and take ideas from everywhere to make something to suit your requirements. for example, the head porting in the tosco manual is excellent, and twin sidedrafts are how you make max power with carbs, but the tosco cams are pretty crap

if you can get a 4k engine, start with this, the increased stroke gives the motor the ability to make quite alot more power. if you want to stick with the 3k, use a 20-60 cam with anything over 0.400" lift, this is about as powerful as you can make a 3k without sacrificing torque, and having to strengthen internal components ($$$) or rebuild your engine alot because if breaks ($$$)

if you use a 4k, i'd suggest a 25-65 cam but there are other grinds people are using as well