Perth Members Watch This Space No More.

white_sandshoe

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats!!

Hey got a friend with a ~95 camry who's blown the head. She's been quoted $1800 to fix.... cars not worth a hell of a lot more than that!

Any ruff idea what you could do a head job on one of these for??

The big pain with these is manhours. FWD suck balls, and take longer to do. That said, it'd depend which engine... is it a 3S, 5S or 1MZ that's in it? I think we had either the 3S or 5S from memory, and also depends how badly blown it is, and how much needs to be skimmed to bring the head true.

If it is a 1MZ i can understand why they are qoting that much, as the V6 is a mofo to do, with twice the work and even less room in the engine bay.

I could definately drop a substantial number of hundreds off that price, likely even halve it...

thats hell good news garnett!

Um yeah linkage hooked up all good, clearance is good etc etc. I took it for a run up the street and back last night. Its slow. Like 10-15ks slow. I duno if like the timings out, or if its just the carbs need a tune, or if its got no back pressure cause its just running through the extractors, or air could be leaking through where the carbs bolt to the manifold.

Any ideas?

Edit: or linkage might be flexing?

Edited by h1_roll4

yeah thatd be good dude.

Ive got a mechanic mate coming round tonight to check if its the timing. And I'm gona have a fiddle with the carbs.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Sounds like its going to be a rad little workshop.

Oh yeah it would have been tuned when i got them, but that was a long time ago, and they have since been taken apart, put back together, screws turned etc etc.

Edited by h1_roll4

Any chance of making the opening a Saturday??

Highly likely that it will be a Saturday with a BBQ and drinks put on... Rough estimate puts it at the end of November for the official opening, but of course we will be trading before that.

Was thinking of having a stop-in and look around on the up-coming cruise, but we'll see how it looks then.

We'll be aiming to be set up for full engine rebuilds and performance builds, including match-porting, porting and polishing, carb tuning, extractor and inlet fabrication, suspension tuning and will be setting up some good contacts for better prices on paint and panel work too... Could also end up doing cam grinds and definitely will be doing supercharging and turbocharging setups, and will happily do stereo installs and any other annoying bits of work like regular servicing and the like. hehe

Oh, and Aircon gassing too!!! keep that in mind as summer is firmly on our doorstep.

Highly likely that it will be a Saturday with a BBQ and drinks put on... Rough estimate puts it at the end of November for the official opening, but of course we will be trading before that.

Was thinking of having a stop-in and look around on the up-coming cruise, but we'll see how it looks then.

We'll be aiming to be set up for full engine rebuilds and performance builds, including match-porting, porting and polishing, carb tuning, extractor and inlet fabrication, suspension tuning and will be setting up some good contacts for better prices on paint and panel work too... Could also end up doing cam grinds and definitely will be doing supercharging and turbocharging setups, and will happily do stereo installs and any other annoying bits of work like regular servicing and the like. hehe

Oh, and Aircon gassing too!!! keep that in mind as summer is firmly on our doorstep.

That's so great to hear Garnett. I'm so glad that we have something in Perth finally for all us rolla lovers :lolcry:

hey garnett i have a question for you.

Is it possible that my timing is a whole spin out?

Ive been trying to fine tweek it by advancing/retarding by just moving the dizzy a bit but its still backfiring out the carb and has no power.

Are you adjusting your timing with the use of a timing light??? If not, it'll just break things. Can borrow mine if you like. Other thing it might be (and I did this myself on the 3T) was when it backfired, it blew a little out of the carb gasket, making a nice little air leak which made it run like a mofo.

I found with my carb, the timing needed to be wound on as far as it would go, and I've heard that webers do tend to require more advanced timing for some reason.