My Ae95 Wagon

TOM

Hi guys and gals,

Well I could only go so long without owning a Corolla, although to be honest I didn't expect to be back in one so soon.

I've always wanted one of these, and at the moment it will suit my lifestyle perfectly.

'91 AE95 wagon, 5 speed, all wheel drive, has done close to 400,000 k's and has a stuffed motor but would appear to be very original and tidy otherwise, and is still registered (Tasmania) and driving. The colour is perfect for a set of wheels and tinted windows and interior looks very clean indeed.

Picking it up tonight - haven't even seen it yet which I know is risky but considering the price and the multitude of good pictures on eBay I couldn't take the risk of someone else getting it.

Plans: Tidy up, set of 16's, tint the windows, small cat-back exhaust, obviously fix the motor with either a low-k import 4AFE or possibly a 20V conversion, drive and enjoy. Oh yeah and get rid of the ghey red stripe and the towbar rack thingo.

More pics once its actually in my posession...hopefully its as good as it looks! These are just the pics from eBay.

post-1424-1253666091_thumb.jpg

post-1424-1253666155_thumb.jpg

post-1424-1253666192_thumb.jpg

post-1424-1253666255_thumb.jpg

post-1424-1253666284_thumb.jpg

Let me know what you all think :P

Edited by TOM

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

good find!! with a newer motor this thing should be heaps fun especially with the fulltime 4wd! unfortunately they don't have the other shape one..there's the AE94 sedan in Japan looks exactly like the AE92 sedan but its 4wd!

get the 4age 20V then turbo it:P haha

Edited by Hans

good find!! with a newer motor this thing should be heaps fun especially with the fulltime 4wd! unfortunately they don't have the other shape one..there's the AE94 sedan in Japan looks exactly like the AE92 sedan but its 4wd!

get the 4age 20V then turbo it:P haha

there have been some of those imported to aust now, but still rare a rocking horse shit

Is it hard to convert the 20V to AWD?

nope, because all that is changing is the motor, not the g/box and associated drive line :P

to get rid of the red stripe out of the bar it will leave a gap in the front bar which can potentially look worse or change it for a chrome stripe which i think are still available from toyota, and to get rid of it from the side protectors all i did was colour coded the protectors them, or the other way is to remove the protectors all together. not really a great deal of choices but if you come up with another way i would love to hear about it

Edited by MYSTIK

Is it hard to convert the 20V to AWD?

Yes and no, there have to be some tiny alterations to certain things. The AWD vaccum control has to be replaced or deleted, i believe it was kykin who used to solenoids from a central locking unit to activate his which is a fantastic idea where as my 20v blacktop wagon has been configured to stay in pernament AWD. To get the black top in there was also some shaving of the gearbox bellhousing to squeeze it in. If you plan on a 20v its uber tight for a turbo but a supercharger looks like it could fit in awesome :P

Best of luck with the build up of you AE95 :cool:

it'll be great to see another one of these done up really nice.

I'll be doing a ride thread on mine once my father and i have finished painting her should hopefully be within 4 months.

Scoobzd

I've always thought these cars were amazingly ugly, but I guess the practicality of them makes up for that. Kebin on here

has an absolute creamer of a AE95. His reminds me of a Liberty RS Turbo wagon. His has a 4agze motor so you could probably

hit him up for some questions about the conversion.

Good luck. I hope it turns out well for.

Well I got it home, and let me say after driving it 1 hour home I'm more than pleasantly surprised... :) ;)

Its had one family (Tasmanian - these things are everywhere down there) owner since new and has original sales reciept and book, and original owners manual. Have been told it was serviced at the same place since new.

As previously mentioned, the car is apparently very low on compression in one cylinder. It does idle rough and you can feel a misfire at cruising speeds, and it blew a heap of smoke when we first started it after sitting for 10 days apparently.

But...it still accelerates smoothly and goes really well. I had no idea what to expect from these as I've never been in one...was expecting the 4WD to suck out a heap more power, but it revs and seems to love it :hmm: I'm blown away by how quick it is for the apparent engine problems, I'm thinking the 4AFE with induction and exhaust will be sufficient for my needs...I'm seriously stoked with the power of this thing.

Anyway the body is abnormally straight, and the paint is excellent, but there are quite a few scratches many of which will polish out ok, some which can be touched up. Its good enough to not have to worry about respraying it for quite a while.

It has extractors!! :cool: Wildcat brand (?), look reasonably newish

Interior is as good as it looks in the photo's - no rips or tears, no cracks in the dash. Has a Pioneer Mosfet 4x50 deck and front speakers, no rear speakers connected but it seems to have factory looking ones hanging from the roof?

Driveline seems excellent apart from a rear wheel bearing and possibly some sloppy uni's or CV's - it shudders a bit during accelerate/decelerate transitions, but all of that could be the motor...who knows. Brakes are good, steering is fine and shockers feel pretty good, and the tyres are good.

The strangest thing of all is that it doesn't have A/C...must have been a base model...

All up, not too bad for $750 I think. :P I wouldn't normally divulge price, but I reckon its shit hot for that.

to get rid of the red stripe out of the bar it will leave a gap in the front bar which can potentially look worse or change it for a chrome stripe which i think are still available from toyota, and to get rid of it from the side protectors all i did was colour coded the protectors them, or the other way is to remove the protectors all together. not really a great deal of choices but if you come up with another way i would love to hear about it

Yeah the stripe is in pretty good nick, I'm going to have a go at masking up and painting I reckon, I like the colour coding idea and hadn't thought of it, otherwise the chrome ones sounds like a great idea - thanks MYSTIK

Scoobzd - thanks for the comments mate, looking forward to seeing your upcoming ride thread and may end up calling on you for some advice!

seabuiscit - Yeah I used to, and kind of still do agree, but they have this potential about them and I've seen some well done ones on here which made me want it so bad when I saw it. They look like a Volvo X70 from the rear, and too much like the early tercels from side view - those things were the gave ugly a new meaning (sorry to any tercel owners). And yeah I may need to call on advice from a few people on how to tackle it if I do end up going the 20 Valve.

Anyway, the immediate plan is to get to Regency for a numbers check, then get it registerd. I'll get a better diagnosis on the motor and see what it would cost to fix before I go getting quotes on 20 valves - I'm quite happy with the 4AFE power for the cars intended purpose, but 20V would be nice...

More photos tomorrow when I have some light.

Stoked? :(

Edited by TOM

that is a awesome price considering the condition you say its in :P

if your looking for a slightly different look on the front you can change the grill(which is fugly imho) and bonnet to those from an ae9x seca :) as they share quite a few of the front panels :cool:

Edited by MYSTIK

that is a awesome price considering the condition you say its in

if your looking for a slightly different look on the front you can change the grill(which is fugly imho) and bonnet to those from an ae9x seca as they share quite a few of the front panels

Cheers yeah I'm pretty happy for the price! Was already thinking of the SX grille...wondcer what a colour coded SX front bar would look like? Anyway all that stuff is possible, but first things first need to fix the motor...

More pics

Extractors were a surprise inclusion!

post-1424-1253748826_thumb.jpg

post-1424-1253748847_thumb.jpg

post-1424-1253748925_thumb.jpg

post-1424-1253748949_thumb.jpg

And, for good measure, my other recently aquired project.

Original barn find - 1975 Kawasaki KH100 Sports, 5,800 original kilometres and 1 previous owner. 100cc 2 stroke ball tearing powerhouse, 5 speed all up gearbox!! Everything works and it runs sweet. Paid $775 with new oils, spark plug and brand new battery.

All I've done is clean it and paint the head and barrel after a light hone and new rings, given in a major service and rebuilt the front suspension as well as greasing head-stem bearings which was quite a job. Needs two new tryes and rego, thats it.

Want to keep it original and try not to put any new parts on - if it aint broke, don't fix it, plus its cool if I can say its completely original and I've just cleaned and serviced it.

Was going to have it ready for Bay to Birdwood, but that will have to wait until next year now.

post-1424-1253762112_thumb.jpg

post-1424-1253762131_thumb.jpg

Edited by TOM

Does anyone know if this version of the 4AFE came out in other Australian Corolla's?

Its obviously different to the AE101 4AFE as they are twincam, but did other AE9x Rolla's have this motor or was it just AE95's? Just wondering how hard it would be to find a low km import donk and whether its a specific AE95 motor or not...

Does anyone know if this version of the 4AFE came out in other Australian Corolla's?

Its obviously different to the AE101 4AFE as they are twincam, but did other AE9x Rolla's have this motor or was it just AE95's? Just wondering how hard it would be to find a low km import donk and whether its a specific AE95 motor or not...

Dude, yours is a twincam too (the F in 4AFE refers to narrow angle {or economy spec} twincam head). I can't say whether it identical to other 4AFEs (including AE101's) but I am pretty sure any 4AFE will bolt straight in with no modifications. Also a 7AFE should bolt in and offer a little more performance, although you would probably want to use a 7AFE ECU and injectors. I reckon a 7AFE with a low boost turbo would be an absolute hoot in one of these, and probably cheaper and definitely easier than a 20V conversion.

So it is...I'm a dumbass! Awesome, that makes sense... :jamie:

The 7AFE sounds interesting (great motor), but in the interests of preserving the driveline I think I'll be sticking to the 4AFE with improved filtration and an exhaust for now...it seems to go fairly well as it is with the extractors and no compression in one cylinder!

Cheers

Have some good simple plans for this after looking at it for a while...

Have driven it a bit and it still goes really well, just idles and runs rough like it running on 3 cylinders. Pulled the spark plugs out and they are all burning clean and all look the same, it blows a bit of blue smoke on startup but none while under load, so me thinks its in the head and could possibly be fixable....

Got it stuck in diff lock mode the other day after testing to see if it worked...the dash light doesn't come on but the diff lock did...had to drive it home (very, very carefully) 3 k's through the 'burbs on bitumen...not much fun, lots of chirpie's!! Got it home and finally got it back into normal mode after playing with some wires and the switch, but the light still doesn't work.

I need to wait two weeks to get a day off work to get it to Regency, so until then it will just get a good inside/out detail.

original tool bag, tools are basically brand new.

post-1424-1254142008_thumb.jpg

Edited by TOM