Sr20 Conversion To Ke55 Plus Rebuild Plus Pimpage

JDM55

Members dont see this ad

wow haha thanks guys :) comments appreciated, well yes the engineer did come today ,

and after he left ,i was in a bit of a state of shock realy ,didnt know what to make of the visit,

but what he did check over was things that i had taken alot of pics for and then grouped them

'into there catagories ,ie like engine mounts ( from stock xmember to choping up to designing to cutting steel,

to welding ) that sort of thing, and i sent him a flash drive with the major things that i had done.

he was very happy with the pics and the discription of how i went about doing each thing and what materials

were used, so first thing i must say is , if your doing any rebuild or general mods you should deffinatley take

ALOT of pics, like what he said to me today , once paint is covering things its very hard to tell if the welds are decent ,

and things are done to a good standard, so that was the first positive thing i got out of him.

now this guy ( his name is jc btw) jc has engineered alot of hot rods ,that seems to be his area of choice,

so my car is alittle bit out of the usual for him, but seems like the general rules that he talked about still

apply to my build, so prety much what ive done and doing and going to do ,or planing to do ,is with in the guidelines

of his rules.

he was very pleased with the standard of work :wink: so that was another good thing ,and he could tell straight away

that ive spent many many hundreds of hours doing the best job that i could do ,with the level of skills i have,

so heres a list of the things he checked over and what he had to say about them, he pretty much was just checking thru

the pics and discription of the things that i had sent him,

first was engine mounts ,was very happy with them

then general steering components ,and as they were all brand new there was no problems there,

then the gear box cross member, he took measurements of the steel i used and the sizes of the cross

member, also he asked alot (were these the original corolla mounts??? )so i think he was checking if i had

modded alot of the main structural parts ,mounts etc, but the gear box cross member was fine,so ticked that.

then the drive shaft loop, i used a after market one and pretty much bent and cut it to make it fit,

he said that was fine ,but he did mention that 4 nuts were probably over kill, to that i said well thats

how the dsl came ,it had 4 holes for each mounting plate.any way that got the tick :wink:

more in a sec i need for just got home from work and its 2 in the morning lol.....

then the custom drive shaft ,got the tick also

then the seam welding around the left spring hangers, got the tick

the shortened r31 diff got the tick

all the custom brake lines,also got the tick,

the surge tank position and construction got the tick

fuel pump position and fuel pump custom shield got the tick

the 15" rims also got the tick, was very surprised that he would let me keep them,

i thought they were not realy allowed, but as it turns out its not going by the

stock corolla rims , ie 13" ,but it actualy goes off what the running gear is from,

so the r31 skyline diff, I'm allowed what the r31s had , stock 15"

and as for the front i just said celica shocks ,so what ever celica had,

so that was a realy good thing to hear ,casue i didnt want to go buying 4 new tyres,

and a full set of rims,ie you know 1200 dollars extra money that i don't have ,so that was

a good thing ,i think he was also happy that the rims wernt like 18s so some thing realy stupid ,

apprently he comes across that alot.

intercooler and fittment and sizing all got the tick,again he was happy to see i didnt just chop the whole

front of the car,to fit a oversize cooler,so i was glad i went with that smaller size :wink:

what else , aww yea the gearbox gear stick position and new hole cover,tick

battery box relocated to boot with breather tube ,position and mounts and cable all got the tick,

fuel line positioning (not done yet but shown how they mount to the car floor,was happy with that,

engine bay, strenghtening tower to fire wall baces, all got the tick

sheer panels, a new chassis rail between the sill and the main chassis rail for strenght at the front end, got the tick,

tinted windows as they were legal darkness that was all fine,

front struts and brakes set up, he was fine with that ,but i talked to him about changing them to xt130s with a

full coil over and camber plates, to help with the camber issue of the struts ,and also the larger braking upgrade of

hilux calipers and pugeot disks, and to my surprise he said thats fine as long as the welding of the sleeves is of high standard,

:lolcry:

so thats realy good becasue i was going to do that any way :P

so that was most of the good things that came out of the visit, now a few not so good things,

but even these arnt realy that bad,

1st one he didnt like the engine brace at all, no biggy realy its just a bolt in bolt out deal ,

so will have to come out ,for a bit

2d one steering wheel, the one i have in there atm is like a 12" cheapy racing style ,wheel,actualy ,i did like

the feel of the smaller wheel , but that has to go and a replacement bought, so more cash needed,how ever on the

flip side of that problem ,there are now adr approved steering wheels ,so ill try find one that i can put up with

3rd one , air box, now this one was a bit of a debate, i had allready made an alloy air box that held a pod filter,

and it fitted the spot realy well ,but no good it has to be a plastic stock factory sr20 box or simular,ive already tryed a few factory boxs but getting something that will fitt half decent in the spot,after a bit of abck and forth , i managed to convince him to let me make my own plastic box,so it will fit the spot properly, so i can do that as long as the box is 1 excellent quality and 2 it takes the stock paper filter, so i agreed to that , means a bit of redesigning things and changing the set up, and building a plastic box, but think i can pull it off,

4 needs all brand new seats belts not realy a big drama but its an extra cost for mr broke, and he also trying to get me to change the rear seat belts to a retractable set up , tryed to explain what he ment but i ddint quite follow his explanation of how to do it,

so will try get away with just stock ones for the time being, to much other things to deal with,

5 exhaust has to be below 96 dbs ......

6 needs all the emissions gear hooked up to go thru emmision testing

7 lowering he didnt want to see it slamed on the ground , but even if i wanted to i couldnt , i have clearance issues underneath the car,

8 if i run coil over struts I'm going to run into a major problem with my wheels, as they will hit the coil spring due to offset,

and spacers are illegal so no idea what i can do there to get away with that, :bash:

a few other gay things like that but all in all thats what was discussed and on the whole he was generaly happy with the work and the standard of work ,but i deffinatley got the impression the thing that he likes the most was the fact that i had orignised the pictures and had supporting text for each thing i had done, so there you go guys ,if your going to do anything like what I'm doing , make sure you got a camera handy and take alot of photos, i have literally thousands of shots ,of everything and it seemed to have payed off , i guess it makes his job easier when he dosent have to go sorting out whats this random picture and whats going on here what did you do here etc,

so that was my friday with mr engineer, better than i thought it was going to be thats for sure , but still left with alotof un answered questions, and the whole air box thing is anoying me ,casue i spent ages making it and i can't use it , mmm maybe i can figure something out , any way more to come soon!!!

Well done with the engineer, (its not that bad)

8 if i run coil over struts I'm going to run into a major problem with my wheels, as they will hit the coil spring due to offset,

and spacers are illegal so no idea what i can do there to get away with that, :bash:

With a coil over you should be fine because the diameter of the spring is smaller then the Toyota spring so it will give you more clearance from your wheels.

As for the Air box that will be an easy one for you to fix.

I've used JC for about 6 or 7 cars now. He is very good to deal with and rather professional. He did my ke11 and a heap of mates cars.

I got away with just a pod filter on the datto. Because I told him I couldn't find an airbox that fits.

On the seatbelts I needed retractable belts in front and lapsash in the rear.

I knew you wouldn't have too much trouble.

Stu.

Edited by kickn5k

I've used JC for about 6 or 7 cars now. He is very good to deal with and rather professional. He did my ke11 and a heap of mates cars.

I got away with just a pod filter on the datto. Because I told him I couldn't find an airbox that fits.

On the seatbelts I needed retractable belts in front and lapsash in the rear.

I knew you wouldn't have too much trouble.

Stu.

awww yeah thats good as,yeah he deffinatley seems to be on the professional side,takes things fairly serious but will listen to what your thoughts are and maybe even open to a bit of perswading, the reason he said i can't have a pod filter,even if it was in a box was becasue i have an intercooler , and your only allowed one or the other, not realy a biggy i just gota make something that dosent look like ass and does the job and keep him happy lol, but it was good to finally get a bit of a step ahead,at least he didnt tell me to redo this and that , so was a good visit,and given me a bit of a boost in knowing I'm on the right track and just to keep up the same standard of work,then everything should work out fine ,and may actualy get this thing road legal ,which would be great,

not to keen on driving around looking over my shoulder every time mr plod goes by,

:)

Well done with the engineer, (its not that bad)

With a coil over you should be fine because the diameter of the spring is smaller then the Toyota spring so it will give you more clearance from your wheels.

As for the Air box that will be an easy one for you to fix.

the problem with the wheels is ive got them on xt130 struts at the moment and tyre to strut clearance is very close like 15 mm or so,so once i get a spring on there with large nuts they hit for sure, by how much is a bit up in the air atm , havnt fully sat down to work it all out yet, i think the off set of the wheels are going to cause the problem , i was going to use the xt130 strut and run the big brakes ,ive got all the parts there to do it, so it seems like a waste not to use them ,its like nearly 2 grand worth of gear just for these struts,ill take a few pics tomorrow and throw them up here, maybe theres a way out of it ,spacers welded to the hub then grinded flush ,or get alloy spacer welded to the rim and clean them up and paint them you wouldnt even be able to tell, but spacers also casue the rim to be pushed out maybe past the guard edge,tho the guards were rolled and pumped out slightly ,i may just get away with it ,

wow jus lookin at ur build, tthere is next to no way in hell I'm goin to beable to get my ke70 with a 7agte road legal :(

awesome build tho

good luck :)

thanks man, yeah i didnt think i would either tho vic laws are so strict and since a lot of law changes recently ,aimed at us guys,who want do stuff like this to older cars,just going to get harder and harder,ill be lucky if this finally gets a tick,but its gettng there slowly,glad you liked the read,good luck with your car too.

just update for you. car broke 2 diff centres and an axle in another, I'm down 2 tyres and a universal joint. mmm should not have stayed with standard rear. motor still going strong gearbox still sweet top speed so far 210kph @winton racetrack. (this speed not recommended for 30+yr old corolla).anyway good to see more good news about your car can't wait to see her finished