My Ke55 Need All The Info I Can Get Please :)

tylerrice

Hey all. I have a 1991 KE55 1300 Auto, 2 door red Fastback. All Original Paint and parts only almost 100,000Ks. Passed down from my uncle, I know nothing about cars so thats me telling you what i have been told and worked out myself so please correct me if i am wrong.

Anyway to the point i would like some tips, tricks, tweaks and info on unleashing the inner beast. I would like to do some tuning and upgrading to maximize performance and what not. (when i say i, i mean my friend down the road will help with the mechanical because i will stuff something up but i will learn on the way)

I am located in the Adelaide Hills and would also like to know of good places to get parts and other things for the car.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks in advance

Tyler Rice.

post-7994-1256910507_thumb.jpg

post-7994-1256910563_thumb.jpg

Edited by tylerrice

Members dont see this ad

Fantastic looking Coupe you have there, Tyler. Welcome to RollaClub!

The answers you find, my friend, are all over this forum. YOU have to do the looking, though. :2thumbs: Just check out other

members rides and see what they've done to unleash their cars "inner beast". We don't know what you're looking to get out

of the car so are not sure what sort of "tweaks" you are looking at doing. The first things that you might normally do to give

the car a little extra performance, could be a sports exhaust system, aftermarket carburettor ie weber, a good tune. MANUAL

CONVERSION! ;)

Then you could move onto things like shaving the head for higher compression, porting out your ports for better flow, lumpier

cam grind etc.

As for good places to get your car done I wouldn't have a bloody clue! I live in Canberra.

Once again, great looking Coupe and I hope it treats you well.

Fantastic looking Coupe you have there, Tyler. Welcome to RollaClub!

The answers you find, my friend, are all over this forum. YOU have to do the looking, though. :2thumbs: Just check out other

members rides and see what they've done to unleash their cars "inner beast". We don't know what you're looking to get out

of the car so are not sure what sort of "tweaks" you are looking at doing. The first things that you might normally do to give

the car a little extra performance, could be a sports exhaust system, aftermarket carburettor ie weber, a good tune. MANUAL

CONVERSION! ;)

Then you could move onto things like shaving the head for higher compression, porting out your ports for better flow, lumpier

cam grind etc.

As for good places to get your car done I wouldn't have a bloody clue! I live in Canberra.

Once again, great looking Coupe and I hope it treats you well.

I have done some looking around here and haven't found much info about much of those things specific to my car. As I said I'm not a motor head so i don't know whats what. Maybe if the people that know what they are doing could post a small tutorial with helpful links. When you say all the things like weber, carburettor, porting out your ports etc. and add KE55 ok to it on google (portting out your ports on KE55) you don't get alot of useful pages for me as I have no idea what I'm doing.

But thanks for the info and help i will keep trying to look into them...

I guarentee if you hang around this forum for a couple of months your knowledge about everything corolla related will go through the roof. Porting the bores of the engine actually requires the engine to be removed first. Then stripping the engine down to nothing but the engine block. And then taking it to an engine rebuilder. I would probably recomend Lonsdale Engine Worx. They've done the odd k series engine so they know what they are doing. As for carburetters, probably one of the most simple upgrades would be to a Webber Carburetter. Anyway give Lonsdale Engine Worx a ring and they will give you all the details you need to know.

Nice coupe you got there mate

This is a link to "How to build a tough K engine" i'd assume you car has got a 4k engine CLICK HERE

Basically though you find you will get the most immediate benefits buy just giving the engine a really good service, or at least that's what i found

Here a few things to start with

- spark plugs

-Air filter, oil filter & fuel filter

- Oil change (HPR 30 is good in my opinion)

- make sure all your points are cleaned and your distributer leads are in good condition

Then from there you may want

- Get rid of the auto and convert to manual

- Extractors

- Bigger carbie such as a weber

From here the list just gets bigger and more expensive, you'll probably find that there is a tonne of stuff that needs doing before you get to the engine though

If you need more info just start to read more of the FAQ sheets and as a hint the engine in your car is pretty much the same as every corolla from 1974 to 1982

Also some other things that may be helpful to know is:

- What sort of budget do you have ( be honest) ?

- What are you going to be using the car for ?

-What expectations do you have power wise ?

Nice Rolla mate, it looks exactly like my KE55 when i bought it, and that too had only one owner (bought new when he was 70!), icy air conditioning, and roughly 100k on the dial.

Personally id say do absolutely nothing to it other than a manual conversion.

The biggest regret that ive had with mine is modifying an immaculate classic! Its now running a 4age, big brakes, and a lot of suspension work. don't get me wrong, its freakin awesome, but i wish id done it to an already molested shell and kept the minta as a backup daily.

Of course its completely up to you.. all the best with it! The search function doesnt always bring up what you want, but believe me, everything you need to know is on this site somewhere!

^^ Stig Junior makes a good point, you have an extremely clean looking 55 on your hands there, and that in itself isn't a common find......

If it was me, I'd lower it a little on some classic oldschool style wheels, leave it completely stock besides that, and daily it, buy a beat up old KE70 and use that as a project car to thrash the shit out of.......

cr_01_2.jpg

These wheel would look the tits on the coup, Hayashi Street wheels, in a sensible size and offset, can be found for sale occasionally on http://ae86drivingclub.com.au/

All the best with your little red rolla, look after it, and it'll serve you well.

Yoda.