Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Front Bearing?? Please Help!

Featured Replies

Hi guys, I have a problem with my 1986 AE82 rolla and I need some assisstance..

 

The front passengers side wheel has a squeak/rubbing noise coming from it and I don't know what it is.. It happens pretty much the whole time the car is rolling and it is really noticable at low speeds or when cornering. I haven't really had a chance to rip it apart and have a look, and I was wondering if anyone knows what it is?? And is it an easy or hard fix?

 

I also have another issue, PINGING!! :) what could it be?! I have done the timing and it is running premium fuel, what else could it be? The engine is a stock A4-C..

 

Cheers

Hi guys, I have a problem with my 1986 AE82 rolla and I need some assisstance..

 

The front passengers side wheel has a squeak/rubbing noise coming from it and I don't know what it is.. It happens pretty much the whole time the car is rolling and it is really noticable at low speeds or when cornering. I haven't really had a chance to rip it apart and have a look, and I was wondering if anyone knows what it is?? And is it an easy or hard fix?

 

I also have another issue, PINGING!! :) what could it be?! I have done the timing and it is running premium fuel, what else could it be? The engine is a stock A4-C..

 

Cheers

if its fwd its most likely a constant velocity joint in the drive shafts

  • Author
if its fwd its most likely a constant velocity joint in the drive shafts

 

Yeah it is Fwd, is that an easy fix? And whats the price tag on it?

Yeah it is Fwd, is that an easy fix? And whats the price tag on it?

there is a little bit of mucking about removing the drive shaft cost just a guess about 250 bucks

  • Author
there is a little bit of mucking about removing the drive shaft cost just a guess about 250 bucks

 

Ok, thanks man I appreciate it

if its not your CV, it could be brake squeal, check the condition of your brakes before you go popping your cv out

hey guys! i would like to know if AE90 hub assembly is the same as AE93?? i have my ae 90 in my back yard and need to replace the wheel bearings in my AE93, so if i can ill rip out the hubs in the 90 and press new bearings in then swap them for the AE93 hubs.....

Cheers Tory

Well bearing kit part numbers are the same for AE90 all the way to AE93 haha I'm sure they would be the same for all AE9X models

About your Pinging...

Had same problem with my AE82. Has the timing belt been replaced lately ?. What about the timing belt tensioner ?.

Some folks replace just the timing belt at the regular intervals and neglect the tensioner. The tensioner goes weak allowing some slack in the timing belt.

 

I had the tensioner replaced in my 4A-C and problem solved. No more pinging.

  • Author
About your Pinging...

Had same problem with my AE82. Has the timing belt been replaced lately ?. What about the timing belt tensioner ?.

Some folks replace just the timing belt at the regular intervals and neglect the tensioner. The tensioner goes weak allowing some slack in the timing belt.

 

I had the tensioner replaced in my 4A-C and problem solved. No more pinging.

 

As far as i know nothing has been replaced lately, but i will look into the tensioner and belt. Thanks man

 

And to solve the problem with the front CV, a mate of mine was buying a new car and just gave me his old 1985 rolla sedan so i just stole the whole hub and CV from it and put it in mine. everything running smooth now.

 

Thanks everyone :wink: Rolla club #1!

About your Pinging...

Had same problem with my AE82. Has the timing belt been replaced lately ?. What about the timing belt tensioner ?.

Some folks replace just the timing belt at the regular intervals and neglect the tensioner. The tensioner goes weak allowing some slack in the timing belt.

 

I had the tensioner replaced in my 4A-C and problem solved. No more pinging.

Can also be from a carbon buildup on the pistons, around the valves. The carbon crap heats up and starts pre-igniting the air-fuel and you only really notice it when you start pushing the motor

Can also be from a carbon buildup on the pistons, around the valves. The carbon crap heats up and starts pre-igniting the air-fuel and you only really notice it when you start pushing the motor

 

You are correct.

In my case it was the opposite. Straping it out was fine.

But driving around normal was the problem.

So I tried not too as much as possible.

  • 3 months later...

This might be a little late to say now but with the squeak/rubbing noise.. My ae82 did it too after the conversion. It was really bad at low speeds and i found it was the flimsy metal backing plate that protects the disk rotors. It was bent in a little and rubbing a bit so just with my hand i bent it back out, problem solved :)

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.