3t-gte Or 4age Into A Ke35

grillbar

Hey all,

I've recently got my hands on a ke35 and I'm making plans to do en engine conversion,

I was thinking of going with a 4age or a 3t-gte, if anyone who has done this before could help

me out with what type of problems they encountered (if any) during the conversion that would

be muchly appreciated

cheers

grillbar

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well chassis bracing with a 3tgte would be a must and also new diff and basically all the driveline, i do believe you would need custom tail shaft and butcher a gearbox crossmember

4age can be dropped in by changing the engine and gearbox crossmembers over to ae71 items and also you wont need to upgrade your diff(although it is recomended)

simply put if you want simplicity go the 4age, if you don't mind putting in a lot extra money and time then 3tgte ftw (also you get ALOT more power)

Gearbox x member from AE71 is not a straight change over to KE30, and I think KE35 would be the same? Needs to be modified a bit to make it fit. I wasn't aware that an AE71 engine x member would bolt straight into a '35 either. Glad to be corrected.

Edited by RedKE30

No an ae71 x member will not bolt straight up. will need modifying otherewise anyone whos done a 4age in to KE30/55 etc. will have done it.

custom mounts are needed for the engine however the ae71 gearbox x member will bolt up just fine.

3t gte will make the car quicker due to being turbo.

4age is a newer engine and aftermarket support is huge for them.

Hmm doesn't sound right mate, both run the same gearbox, so I'm not sure how with a 20V it'd require mods if you delete the dizzy cap.

well i'd like to be proven wrong beacuse then it would mean i could just go and get another ae71 and use that since it'd be lighter than the one i designed. but since i've been through it and had to design both my gearbox mount and my enigne mounts i don't think it can be done, unless you have like 1mm clearance. and even then....

if you look at pictures of a ke30/55 4a 16v conversion the motor sits really close to the firewall.

when you delete the dizzy cap your still left with the base and the Cam angle sensor there and also of course you need a cover for the wheel which adds more to the back of the head.

but with my mounts there is a 10mm gap from the cover to the firewall. and still the gearbox mount was out by 15mm and thats with the x member flipped around to bring it forward more.

well i'd like to be proven wrong beacuse then it would mean i could just go and get another ae71 and use that since it'd be lighter than the one i designed. but since i've been through it and had to design both my gearbox mount and my enigne mounts i don't think it can be done, unless you have like 1mm clearance. and even then....

if you look at pictures of a ke30/55 4a 16v conversion the motor sits really close to the firewall.

when you delete the dizzy cap your still left with the base and the Cam angle sensor there and also of course you need a cover for the wheel which adds more to the back of the head.

but with my mounts there is a 10mm gap from the cover to the firewall. and still the gearbox mount was out by 15mm and thats with the x member flipped around to bring it forward more.

I took beerheads post to mean that there shouldn't be a difference between a 16V and 20V conversion as they both use the same gearbox, thus the same gearbox x member, which doesn't bolt up to the chassis.

It's not a matter of which engine you are using as the AE71 gearbox x member will not bolt to the chassis full stop.

Edited by RedKE30

Does your gearbox X-member use 4 smaller (M10,12mm head)bolts or 2 large (M12,14mm head) bolts.

If you have 4 smaller ones you have an auto X member in an originally Auto car.

If you have the 2 larger bolts you have the Manual X member in an originally manual car.

The AE71 X memeber will bolt up to the Manual X member mounting points.

The auto X member is a fair bit further back than the manual member.

AFAIK, Auto Chassis' don't have the manual mounting points and Visa Versa.