Working A 5k

shauns ke30

hey all i have a 5k with a 32/36 weber yeah goes ok

but just wanna no what some good mods are too the 5k

as i want just abit more power outa the k :locked:

think of a possible fully/mild worked head and solid lifter conversion and a sutible cam

any info will be good on this topic

cheers shaun

Members dont see this ad
Compression, cam and exhaust will make a difference.

With the cam, no need to go for solids unless you want to pull huge revs and like adjusting valve clearances. Ran a Wade 169 ground on the original cam and it was quite good.

its got extrators and an exhaust.

well i wanna pull huge revs at the momemt thats what letting me down

my motor is only good for 4700rmp it goes to 5500rpm tho but don't like it lol

for a good gear change 4700rpm

i need more revs :locked: if iam going to do some head work i may aswell change to solid lifter yeah??

Edited by shauns ke30

its got extrators and an exhaust.

well i wanna pull huge revs at the momemt thats what letting me down

my motor is only good for 4700rmp it goes to 5500rpm tho but don't like it lol

for a good gear change 4700rpm

i need more revs :locked: if iam going to do some head work i may aswell change to solid lifter yeah??

wtf am i doing wrong? my 4kc screams KILLLLLL MEEEEE at 4 grand? and i back off?

Your carby has aids

Or, could be timing. Mine goes past 6, doesnt like it though. Has HG leak too lol

well its got a vibration pass 4 grand,

max i done 3 speed auto, 4:11, 60 first gear and 90 2nd

high five for the HG leak LOL

well its got a vibration pass 4 grand,

max i done 3 speed auto, 4:11, 60 first gear and 90 2nd

high five for the HG leak LOL

haha nice, 120 in third for me, before i had a tach.

Mine has a small vibration too. :locked:

Shaun: A nicer carby/s with better adjustment might be a good investment

I think you should spend your money on renewing your engines lifespan. It must need some serious maintenance if a 5k

can't rev past 6400rpm. Even though mine is worked a bit, I can take it to 8000rpm (when it's tuned properly :n:). It obviously

doesn't like it because it's not tuned right, but it still does it!

Otherwise yea, best things to get done:

Exhaust, compression, cam. If you've got some cash left over a head job would be the way to go. You can pick them up on the

corner of the street pretty easily. :locked:

In all of that, you're probably going to want to do at minimum a rings and bearings job too.

Everyone makes hydro lifters out to be a horrible thing, unless you are chasing large revs on a regular basis they are fine. Should you want high revs, anti-pump hydro lifters are also an option. If you are keeping things mild and on a budget I would say hydros are fine.

Cam, headwork, exhaust and a reasonable carb setup should be plenty.

Guys the reason your stock as a rock 4k 5k bangers feel like they're going to vibrate themselves to pieces is because they're not balanced.

If you want it to rev had and smoothly you'll need a bottom end rebuild and balance. You can do all the other crap you want, but it'll still vibrate without one.

I'm running Hydro's and some ridiculous duration mystery cam with way too much top end. Changing lifters won't net you more power and isn't the reason for it not revving at the moment.

Get the cam grind to suit the lifters, run a bigger carb and extractors.

woooooo

thanks hy-rolla for the push rod info :locked:

KENut: the 32/36 weber i have is fine atm just put a kit on it and new 1500cc jets

i fort this carbi was too big????

seabiscuit: my 5k has only done 78,000 ks i have it on paper. i no it needs a tune up really bad

and it been fully serviced 1 month ago eg (4 platnum sparkies,new sparky leads,condenser,points,motor oil,oil filter,fuel filter,gt40coil,proper coolent,gear box oil,diff oil,air filter)

things i havent done yet eg (tune the weber up,points gap,timeing,new thermostat) thats all i think

Doogs: if I'm going to do head work i may as well do soilds as well saves me or the nexted person doing it

thanks for all the info :n:

Shaun just put a commo v6 in the c**t, they are like < $500 and u can do all the nuts and shit u want all day long

Need a better diff and a custom tail shaft and ur away (Well its not that easy but f@$k spending money on a K engine)

That would be too large an engine displacement, no? 890kg x 4 = 3560cc. Whats the exact displacement of the new alloytec ones? They're a 3.6L engine.

That said, there is a GC(or GD) Galant wagon rocking around NSW somewhere with a VP Commodore V6 in it. Looks like it was meant to be there.

However, i think the Galant wagon tips the scales at 1000kg's or there abouts.

Edit:

Just googled the commowhore v6 displacement, 3564cc. So close!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Duckman