Ke70 Front Brakes Dragging

toy_boy

I'm having a similar problem in my ke70, I'm using 86 struts and just changed my pads over and bleed the brakes, all clean oil was coming out etc.

But now my Front left pad is still rubbing on the disk, was thinking maybe new pads still bedding them selves in?

Is there anything i can have a sus at without having to pull everything apart?

Members dont see this ad
I'm having a similar problem in my ke70, I'm using 86 struts and just changed my pads over and bleed the brakes, all clean oil was coming out etc.

But now my Front left pad is still rubbing on the disk, was thinking maybe new pads still bedding them selves in?

Is there anything i can have a sus at without having to pull everything apart?

Have you checked to make sure the calipers are not seized?

Try this - jack front of car up and have someone put their foot on the brakes, and try to spin the front wheels. Do the same thing without the brakes on and try it again after a minute or two. By rights both front wheels should operate the same when the brakes are applied and disengaged. Its an easy way to tell if you have a seized caliper or if its sticking.

Try this - jack front of car up and have someone put their foot on the brakes, and try to spin the front wheels. Do the same thing without the brakes on and try it again after a minute or two. By rights both front wheels should operate the same when the brakes are applied and disengaged. Its an easy way to tell if you have a seized caliper or if its sticking.

thinkin it maybe dirt or something built up on the pad, sprayed wd40 over the disk and hand spun it round and the noise is a bit quiter bit its still there.

Gonna remove the pads and have a proper look on the weekend i rekon.

Nah don't chuck the callipers. It's the easiest rebuild! To push a piston out without an airgun, just remove one calliper only and pump the pedal. the piston should just "pop" out. and see above for the rest.

Piston ok? seal kit and rubber grease. make sure you push the pistons in slightly on the cock so it doesn't jam!

new piston? just more $$$

but again it isn't difficult.

actually worked alright, cleared some of the dirt n shit on the pads

you mite aswell throw those pads away! don't use wd40 use brake cleaner as it removes grease/oil not applies it like wd40

there just gonna smoke up under braking (if there is any left) and glaze the discs

you mite aswell throw those pads away! don't use wd40 use brake cleaner as it removes grease/oil not applies it like wd40

there just gonna smoke up under braking (if there is any left) and glaze the discs

could probably use brake cleaner to wash the WD40 off and salvage the pads

where i'm at:

i bought two caliper rebuild kits... $25 EACH! which i thought was a bit steep for a few seals but not a lot else you can do i guess.

also bought two replacement brake lines for the frons, the current ones are sparting to crack and wouldnt pass blue slip anyway. $35 ea. they are different brands as both suppliers (pbs and sumitomo i think) only had one left each. in theory it should make no difference but two the same would have been nice... anyone know of a place with ke70 pbr hoses in stock?

i was about to start working on things last week but the clouds were looking a bit ominous and i didnt want to be working on brakes with too much moisture around so i called it off. lucky too because 10 min later the water on the floor of the carport was half way up the wheel stands...

no further progress, will probably get put on the backburner for a couple of weeks while i sort out suspension on the supra. i'll post again when i have made some progress.

plan is to get the calipers apart, if the pistons are corroded i'll throw the lot away and get some replacement calipers (probably rebuild them since i have the kits), if theyre ok itl go back together with new seals and lines.

thanks for your help everyone

Edited by toy_boy

thinkin it maybe dirt or something built up on the pad, sprayed wd40 over the disk and hand spun it round and the noise is a bit quiter bit its still there.

Gonna remove the pads and have a proper look on the weekend i rekon.

if its only one side the pads might not be aligned properly, try taking em out and putting back in making sure everything seats properly