Oil Filters??

KE-JG

Some one mentioned on here recently that having the wrong oil filter caused the engine to rattle on start-up until the oil pressure came up.

Is this for real?? Is there a non-return valve in some of them??

Reason that I'm concerned is that I just spent a lot of effort and skinned knuckles changing out an engine because it rattled like that on start-up.

It ran quiet and well the rest of the time, but I'm wanting to sell the vehicle, so it would be hard to convince a buyer with a rattle like that.

If all this hassle and effort was just due to an oil filter I'll be P**** off.....

The filter that was on there was a Purolator L20064.

JG

Members dont see this ad

It would have been a sloppy timing chain. Flow back or no flow back valve, after sitting for a few hours I'd place all my bets that she was still going to rattle.

But just to really upset you, there's no way I'd change a motor when replacing a timing chain is a hell of a lot easier.

that may have been me you were thinking of, my 4k used to rattle on start up. but it went away with a new oil filter.

i wouldnt worry about it though. just don't rev the thing AT ALL when you start it. my old 4k it never used to start unless i gave it a bit of choke/throttle, so in the morning i just wouldnt give it any for a few secs, so it could build up some oil pressure before i gave it a bit of choke to make it start.

and keep the oil/oil filter changes up to it. maybe try a different oil filter each time, see which one you like. or check that thread and see what others said (i think some people mentioned that the brand they bought had a return valve..or something)

i just bought the ones from supercheap, ryco. cheap as. and afterall....it was only a 4k! (though i still buy ryco for the 4age! haha)

Some one mentioned on here recently that having the wrong oil filter caused the engine to rattle on start-up until the oil pressure came up.

Is this for real?? Is there a non-return valve in some of them??

Reason that I'm concerned is that I just spent a lot of effort and skinned knuckles changing out an engine because it rattled like that on start-up.

It ran quiet and well the rest of the time, but I'm wanting to sell the vehicle, so it would be hard to convince a buyer with a rattle like that.

If all this hassle and effort was just due to an oil filter I'll be P**** off.....

The filter that was on there was a Purolator L20064.

JG

Thanks for the input.

Good news is that the replacement engine turned out to be an extra good one.

Goes up the big hills just like a 5K, so worth the effort.

JG

Mine rattled on startup when I bought it- no non-return valve in the oil filter! I didn't note what sort it was, a black one covered in Japanese writing.

A change of filter fixed it, but the bearings are marked from it. I don't know how long the filter was in there for.

Timing chain is within spec, the compressions all over 150psi and the odo read 110,000kms, so the motor was hardly worn in.

Having read about the lousy quality of aftermarket brands its genuine Toyota from now on!

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/