My First Corolla, Is A Ke30. New To Forums Too :)

Finn.KE30

hey guys,

went to a wreckers today

saw 2 1979 ke30s :lol:

a light blue and an orange

if anyone in tassie would like to check em out, they in east devonport.

good base project i reckon

the shells of em are alright, just need like new grilles and blue one needs new bonnet lol

only look if u real desperate ;)

ALSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...

i want to sand my car back, but what type sand paper i use?

i wanna do the door panels boot and bonet, then get my mate to help me with body

hints and tips please?

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you're not doing a bare metal re-spray then you basically want to "roughen up" the existing paint a bit before priming it. Just use some 400-800 grit dry paper to do so. Prime then wet rub with guidecoat.

just sand back the colour and then get ready to prime? think my mate will prime and paint it but i gotta sand lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
If you're not doing a bare metal re-spray then you basically want to "roughen up" the existing paint a bit before priming it. Just use some 400-800 grit dry paper to do so. Prime then wet rub with guidecoat.

When you say roughen up, do i just have to get rid of all the colour? or hardly at all?

my mate knows what hes doing but i still don't understand ha, i know what a bare metal is ha.

but I'm only going from mustard to like yellow so should only have to do the roughen up way

When you say roughen up, do i just have to get rid of all the colour? or hardly at all?

my mate knows what hes doing but i still don't understand ha, i know what a bare metal is ha.

but I'm only going from mustard to like yellow so should only have to do the roughen up way

You basically want to take the gloss out of it. You don't need to take the colour off all together although in some spots (high points) it will happen.

• 2 weeks later...

took it all apart yesterdayyy,

wads supposed to start sanding / roughing up and fixing rust today, but it rained. and my shed is full of crap so that stopped a days work :P

post-10282-1272931894_thumb.jpg

post-10282-1272931835_thumb.jpg

colour will be dark purple or yellow ? :)

tell me what ya think of the colours ha

Edited by Finn.KE30

Nice starting point mate, if I were you I would do all that I could to convert it to manual and get a manual license.

Surely you know a friend/uncle or someone over 21 who can drive manual and help you learn. You will thank yourself in the long run :)

colour will be dark purple or yellow ? :P

tell me what ya think of the colours ha

I think you should choose the colour that you like the most. We are not going to be driving the car, you are !

As Taz explained above, when you rub the car back you will most likely encounter a few high and low spots in the panels that need dealing with. The car will most likely need a bit of beating and some filler before primer. A good way to find these spots is the method Taz described called "guidecoating". This is done by spraying a light "mist" coat of acrylic paint (from a pressure pack or similar), and then rubbing the paint off the panel with a flat block and sandpaper. Small amounts of paint will be left in the low spots and the paint will be removed in the higher spots. Sometimes you will rub through to bare steel in the really high spots.

An example of guidecoat;

100_2661.jpg

Hope this helps,

Dougal

• 4 weeks later...

This is so farr.. so far so good i guess

post-10282-1275555345_thumb.jpg

post-10282-1275555244_thumb.jpg

post-10282-1275555345_thumb.jpg

post-10282-1275555399_thumb.jpg

And the parts are off this KE55e which i picked up for 200 bucks :abuse: tell me if u need any parts, and ill see what i got ;D

post-10282-1275555504_thumb.jpg

also if anyone has a picture of a black rolla, send me it so i can see what its like ;D

thanksss

• 2 months later...