Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Big Perspex/plastic Sheets

Featured Replies

Where can I get some of this? I need a sheet about as long as a Corolla is wide, and maybe a meter or a little less wide. So what's that... about 2x1m? Something reasonably stiff, maybe 3-5mm thick or something.

 

Nick: You work in a hardware store, do you stock this sort of thing? Kinda like MDF sheeting, except not made of MDF :D I know Paul P used some on his Supra ages ago, but I can't find the post that said what he used.

  • Replies 38
  • Views 23k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I work ina glass manufacturer and we stock perspex, what do you need to know dude? :D

  • Author

Umm, I need to know where I can get it from, and how much it should cost me.

 

It's actually for an undertray for my car. Partly for airflow, partly to help stiffen up my front spoiler as it currently flexes a lot and also tends to break a lot (the glass fibres break easily). And also partly to stop mud and shit going up into my engine bay and all over my air filter. I know it won't stop damage if I bottom out the car, but I don't exactly rally my car so I don't expect to be doing that anytime soon, and I don't think I can afford one of those big metal things that rally cars like Rob's have.

 

Paul P made one for his Supra ages ago and recons it helped cooling and stuff a fair bit, so I was thinking of trying the same thing.

Thats a tricky one, i would be cheaper to buy a full sheet and cut it up yourself... perspex it flexible and cheap, prone to scratching, melting and snapping depending on its use...

you would want at least 4.5mm colour wouldnt matter, but clear is cheapest - and we sell sheets of 1220 x 2440 4.5mm clear for $200.00

 

it would do the job, but if you look toward the future, a metal one would be better, but if put together right, a perspex one woudl rock!

if you can find some perspex, i'd be interested a bit later on

i want to make perspex door cars for ke20

  • Author

Hmm, maybe Paul didn't use perspex, I'm almost certain the stuff he used was a fair bit cheaper than that. And he said the cheapest color was white, followed by black. Maybe I should just call him and ask him :D

 

Aluminium would probably work too, just a little harder to work with and a bit heavier. And more expensive. But yes, tougher.

We could sell perspex to anyone, but i think we are a bit to far away...

 

your best bet would be to duck into any glass or aluminium place or an actual plastic repairer....

 

Aluminium would be the way, but perspex would look much nicer...

 

3mm would be fine for your door cards jamie.... just don't drill it with a sharp drill bit.... use a blunt one or it will crack!

 

The stuff you sell nick might be polycarbonate, its about 3 times the price , but fifty times as flexible and uv treated on one side. boat windscreen type stuff.

 

good luck :D

alloy would also make nice doorcards, and rear firewall. mmm alloy

ive seen alot of thin Aluminium door cards and they really look a treat.

 

Its one of the mods on my large list - :)

 

We can all vouch for that! :D

I work as a shopfitter and use this stuff all the time. The stuff we use is actually called "Acrylic". Same stuff though.

It will take a bit of punishment (scratching and flexing). But your main problem will be in the fixings. Its breaks so easily in the weakened areas.

Clear is the Cheapest (but technically thats not really a colour).

I personally would be thinking twice if it were going on my car. To work with it properly, you need a SHARP saw, and not just a circular saw or hand saw. You'll smash it in no time if you try cutting it like that. You will need a heat gun to help in bending the Acrylic into shape. Drill and drill bits (the drill bits have to bluntended off with a bench grinder - Not so much blunt, but less pointed on the tip). For your use,the fixings can't be tight either. If the Acrylic can't flex around the fixed areas because its bolted/screwed down tight - then it will simply crack.

It might work out cheaper to just make one in aluminium

 

I'm not trying to steer you away from this application - but just be aware of all the possible draw backs.

we used acrylic alot in high school. we had ovens and a high speed bandsaw and shit. all i remember it really being good for was making little skateboards because people were too cheap to buy tech decks

LOL - Anyone try and slide it along a hand rail? I can see a "Funniest Home Video" moment there when it snaps and shatters.

Edited by kangaroosa

i mean like those finger skateboards, dudes would like, grind the whole school with them and they wouldn't break. f@$k that would get you some points in tony hawk :D

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.