The Oz Hip-hop Thread

RedKE30

Ahk, Thought he was from the U.k due to this part of Party at my place.

The guy who sings that verse calls himself Motley, and yeah he hails from the U.K. I actually saw him yesterday at Good Vibes, watching Diafrix. Spewing I didn't get a picture with him.

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

anyone know if N'fa from 1200 techniques is still kicking around? I saw him ages ago and he put on a mad show.

I've never really listened to 1200 techniques, but a quick look around revealed that he's doing shows in the U.K at the moment. Also, he released a solo album on the 18/1/10.

Maybe I should invest in some 1200 techniques.

• 1 month later...

Well for anyone who is interested:

I've been to two gigs in recent weeks. First one was Horrorshow and Spit Syndicate at the Evelyn hotel in Fitzroy. Hell of a night!

Second one was the Good Gracious album launch last night at the Espy in Stkilda. M-Phazes debut album. Amazing lineup of talent there, it went off!

Edited by RedKE30

• 4 weeks later...

you guys need to get away from the comercial shit like hoods and bliss and esso. much better shit coming out in the underground now. the optimen (brisbane guys) have just released their new lp and also, my personnal favourite, tornts has a new lp coming out soon, not to mention LC, Lazy Grey, Bias B, Tavern Slander , pure product, kings konekted, rezadent i could fill 5 pages with good emcees....

you guys need to get away from the comercial shit like hoods and bliss and esso. much better shit coming out in the underground now. the optimen (brisbane guys) have just released their new lp and also, my personnal favourite, tornts has a new lp coming out soon, not to mention LC, Lazy Grey, Bias B, Tavern Slander , pure product, kings konekted, rezadent i could fill 5 pages with good emcees....

Why does everyone hate on groups that have made it big? Just because they're "commercial" doesn't mean they don't make amazing music.

BnE + hilltop are two of the best groups around. I've seen both groups live. I've been listening to "The Hard Road" heaps lately and that is an amazing album. That doesn't mean I don't like less known stuff as well.

Listen to the rhymes that BnE + hoods spit, that's why they're big and that's why I like them.

Cheers,

Sian

Edited by RedKE30

Certified Crew

end thread.

fk yeh certified wise crew are dope (of which hoods are a part)

i never said bne and hoods were shit, I'm just saying there is way more out there than what you hear on triple j. i don't blame the hoods for selling out (and they really DID sell out by leaving obese records) gota make cash somehow, but that and how they are now comparedto how they used to be makes me not want to listen to them anymore, also Bliss n Esso is pretty much hip hop cross RnB, any true head will tell ya that.

might get a few people fired up in here eh :dance: next topic will be accents, thatl be fun

Well on a live music note, me and a number of mates are going to see Urthboy with Jane Tyrrell and Elgusto at the Corner Hotel in Richmond on the 7th of may. Anyone gonna come?

EDIT: I'm happy to see there's some discussion finally going on in this thread now!

Edited by RedKE30

wow never thought there would be a hiphop thread on here haha, well i do love hilltops but the whole selling out thing is kind of true seeing as the song 1979 all about how its not about the money yet they left obese records for the money, bit hypocritical, bliss n eso were good eg flowers in the pavement but i reckon they just sound like pop now not hiphop, in my opinion everyone is 'underground' when they start but if you wanna make a living out of it then why not.

good artists i like, drapht, hilltops, bne, downsyde, horrowshow,pegz, matty b, rainman, funkoars and more its amazing when you try and think of them that you just can't.

ps. i think brothers grimm is shit, pale rider and who am i are so much better but thats my opinion :laff:

check out Terra Firma (make sure its the aussie one not that british rubbish). they are all. time.

Yeh I heard some Terra Firma today in a customers car, I'm gonna have to pick up one of their albums.

abbott: Horrorshow are the bomb! But how can you say Brothers Grimm was bad? :laff: One of the best albums of all time! Who Am I is a sick album too. What's your favorite song from Who Am I? I'd go for Verbally Flawless or The Sylla Squad.

Edited by RedKE30

I have seen Funkoars, Bliss and Eso and Hilltop live.

Funkoars were off tap and Bliss and Eso were great as well. When I saw Hilltop it was on their recent "State of the Art" tour and it disapointed me a bit, because they barely played anything that was not on the new album. I love their old stuff but some of the new stuff just doesn't do it for me.

Also into Certified, Drapht, Horrorshow, Pez, Muph and Plutonic etc.

Heard the new Ozi Batla stuff on JJJ in the last week or so, really like it.

Cheers

I have seen Funkoars, Bliss and Eso and Hilltop live.

Funkoars were off tap and Bliss and Eso were great as well. When I saw Hilltop it was on their recent "State of the Art" tour and it disapointed me a bit, because they barely played anything that was not on the new album. I love their old stuff but some of the new stuff just doesn't do it for me.

Also into Certified, Drapht, Horrorshow, Pez, Muph and Plutonic etc.

Heard the new Ozi Batla stuff on JJJ in the last week or so, really like it.

Cheers

We were probably at the same concerts. Seen all those three live. Bliss n Eso and hilltop at Festival Hall and The Funkoars at The Hi-Fi Bar?