The Oz Hip-hop Thread

RedKE30

We were probably at the same concerts. Seen all those three live. Bliss n Eso and hilltop at Festival Hall and The Funkoars at The Hi-Fi Bar?

Hilltop at Festival Hall, Funkoars at the Espy early last year and Bliss and Eso at Sound Releif. Lol Funkoars was nuts ! Everyone just dropped their pot glasses at their feet when finished, and by the end of the night there was a layer of "gravel" formed by the broken glass !

My mate got hit in the head by a jug that was thrown backwards by someone, good show though.

Also forgot to mention I'm really into Matty B he is great, really underrated.

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

art of wars cop it in ya grill 3 out now! mixtape shit, pretty cool AOW style over really laid back beats, certainly not what I'm used to from them but still dope as fk.... third chapter comin soon... for those of you that havent heard them you NEED their first cd,... the first chapter... or if you into vinyl... you with us?/i hate you.....

• 3 weeks later...

Just re-read this thread. I was at the SS and Horrorshow gig too @ the Evelyn.

It was SO awesome. best night out in ages, well worth it.

I was going to go to that album launch at the espy the week after but had to work instead, sounds good, too bad I missed it.

Small world, I'm from Camberwell : )

Leah

p.s i pre-ordered my 'Exile' signed album haha can't WAIT!

• 3 weeks later...

OMFG how did i miss this thread???

as reed (bzlbub666) can attest this is pretty much 90% of what i listen to!

been listening since way back in the day (i remember pre-ordering copies of the hilltop hoods early albums!)

I used to be a skateboarder back in the day and used to listen to hip hop cause the flow inspries me to skate better!

as a skinny 12 year old my mates mostly older dudes) at the skatepark were feeding me all the american greats (hip hop not that rap drivel!) and one of the lads had a cousin interstate who worked at/for/with the obese guys and he started feeding us all this stuff with accents we could relate to about shit we liked!

whos got favorite tracks?

i think from the time ive been about i kinda like the older stuff i can't decide between two songs hilltop hoods- 1979 and bliss and esoterikizm (yes that what they were back in the day!)- lyrical wilderness. both of these are raw tracks before either group was getting serious about production and relied purely on talent! (not that either is losing skill!)

among my collection i have a rare copy of bliss n eso's first album Flowers in the pavement! anyone got similarly hard to grab stuff? would love to do some trading!

sorry for the novel guys but shit a topic I'm truly passionate about!!! *subscribes*

mr laneous.

Check him out on youtube. Probably one of the most free sprited and talented musicians I have ever witnessed live. open mic champ, and for those people who care whether they get paid or not he aint.

Hes usually popping on stage with yuinhuzami. Mad skills, he can sing, rap, scratch, hit the reggae notes and smack a guitar around pretty off tap too.

Makes me laugh when people go on about selling out. Who are you to judge, you sweep floors for 6 bucks an hour, you'd make money making music if you could. Compared to most american emcees, the aussie crews keep it so real and if you ask me the only thing thats changed about hilltops from ten years ago when i saw them at the moon bar has been production values and an awareness that if you wanna get paid you have to make a radio single or 2 on each album. Every hip hop album is the same. At least all the ones where the artists are paid. I used to carry on the same way but you just have to open your mind to different things. How hardcore do you want it? Music is music. I respect almost all hip hop that represents the musical talent of the creator.

well said man! selling out? nahh just gettin bigger!

Talking about rare or unique albums, I have a copy of Dr Octagon here on cd, thats been autographed for me by dj qbert.

I also have an un played re-issue of freestyle fellowship on double vinyl with all the missing tracks that were only ever on the original cd. I'm a huge Aceyalone fan. But thats not aussie hip hop now is it.

I went out to see Urthboy, and Horrowshow a while back. I preferred urthboy but I like a looser style anyhow. Horrowshow was well produced and tightly performed, but it just didn't have soul.

Sick man, my mate got his copy of Sex Style autographed by Keith through the window of his Limo when he played in Adelaide.

I got Motion Man (features on a lot of Kool Keith albums) to sign a copy of Clearing the Field along with Kut Mast Kurt when they played in Melbourne years ago.

Never seen Q Bert live, seen Mix Master Mike a few times though, insane.

• 2 weeks later...

Can't believe I forgot about my own thread!

Doogs: I was at sound relief to. Was an amazing day.

ltzgmp-ke70: How good was SS/Horrorshow? Possibly the best gig I've been to. You missed out with the Good Gracious album launch, such an amazing line up of talent there. Although, I'm not a big fan of the Espy. The room it was held (the Gershwin room) is very narrow and long. Terrible shape for a concert. I live in Oakleigh so we're pretty close!

KENut: I saw Urthboy on his most recent tour, thought he was amazing! Elgusto and Jane Tyrrell have such talent, I think I'm in love with her.

I'm happy to see everyone getting into this thread. I'll be heading down to the Bliss N Eso gig @ the Palace Theatre on the 13th of August. Diafrix are supporting and are well worth a look!

Off Aussie Hip-Hop for a second, but there's two gigs that I'll be attending later this year that everyone should know about. Cypress Hill are in Melbourne also at the Palace Theatre on the 23rd of September. Also, if anyone knows A Tribe Called Quest, they have recently announced a show at Festival Hall on August 12th!

Cheers guys and thanks for reading!

Sian

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

man ive been into aus hiphop for years.....

first started when i was 13 listening to hilltop hoods back once again, and left foot right foot.

then i started getting into other artists, BIAS B, LAZY GREY, MANTRA, ASTRONOMY CLASS & THE HERD, MUPH AND PLUTO, PEGZ, MATTY B, DOWNSYDE, KOOLISM, TZU and more that i can't think of right now.

as a matter of fact I'm listening to summerland right now :P

I like music with a message, not so much into emcee's just shouting into the mic and rhyming about how broke they are because they are alcho's.

BTW A TRIBE CALLED QUEST ARE TOURING SOON.

sydney & melbs only

peace

I like music with a message, not so much into emcee's just shouting into the mic and rhyming about how broke they are because they are alcho's.

I like all aussie hip hop but i like this shit the best, haha. AKA Funkoars, Maundz, Vents One, Briggs awesomenesss haha

you guys should check this

Goonbag.com Internet Radio

sweet internet radio site run by Nevs from aushiphop.com

its real cool, tonnes of classic rap and aus hip hop and shit.

dam! just logged into goonbag radio tonight,it is my new favourite thing!,thanks for putting that up man! loving it

As far as aus hiphop goes,can't get enough.As a kiwi I love the lyrics,how they mostly tell a good story with a positive message,rather than following the usual path of hoes and handguns.

so many good beats around,really inventive compared to alot of american stuff.

My favourites so far (only just starting my hiphop journey) would be illy,drapht,funkoars,sarm-one and nebs,hilltops of course,bliss and eso and just heard some botanics on the hiphop show the other night and def want to hear more of them.

Is anyone going to the spit syndicate gig at the evelyn tommorow?,I have recently moved to the hawthorn area and saw a couple members were from around here,if you wanna meet up let us know!

later

Ryan