Door Light Problems

gtnickk

Members dont see this ad

After telling you that all last night I quickly removed the fuse marked "LIGHTER" in my KE55 coupe this morning, to make sure that the couresty light & clock stopped. Nope !

Found that when I removed fuse called "TAIL LIGHTS" the clock & couresty lights went out, so obviously my Gregorys 184 manual is different to the car I've got.

I'll have to do a bit more testing at the weekend, to see what each fuse powers.

I note your Corolla is a 1984 KE70, so maybe the wiring is different again in those.

Anyway, best suggestion is to remove all fuses one at a time & check with a test lamp, and I'm pretty sure you'll find it's one of them, as it is no coincidence that couresty lights & clock both stopped together.

:jamie:

Edited by Banjo

i have the same problem in my ke70. youll prolly find that the fuse is fine and your cigerette lighter doesnt work.

my work around (temporary altho has been ther for a year so far) was to rewire the door switch to a fluro on my roof. only for driver side so far but i still have no clock.

i upgraded mine to a digital clock and i still get nothing.

i got to the point of just giving up. stereo has clock and drivers door has interior light.

but if you find a fix would love to hear it

Edited by Valandor

i have an AE82 and its had a rather similar problem where i use a laptop in the car and its run through the cig lighter and i also run some big spottie 500watts. when i plugged that lappy in the other day it blew all the electrical gauges on the dash and found that the fuse had gone but they all looked in tack. only when i replaced them was it that i got the electrics back.

Well i have done what Various members have said replaced all the fuses. And I have tested the cigerette lighter (which works). They did nothing but at least I have some spares. Seeing as a don't think it is a fuse related problem, I think it is most likely a wire that is damage so when i get a chance I'm going to try and find the problem and crimp it. If any one can tell me which wires i should be looking out for or any more info, please do...........

Ps Thanks to everyone who has spent the time to reply and read this.

Edited by gtnickk

the wiring diagram i have shows the lighter on a different fuse, the fuse for the clock is called the DOME, it shows the power wiring as red with green tracer, this powers both the clock and interior light.

if it was working before you put the head unit it's a good chance it's something you've done.

check your wiring for the head unit.

This may be a long shot - but from a few elec diagrams that i have studied, there seems to be similar colour codes.

There should be a "Light Blue" wire coming from the ignition and into the fuse box. Out of the fuse box should be a "Red and Green Tracer" wire. This will lead to your clock.

Check your fresh wiring from your Head Unit install. If any wires are spliced into the wires mentioned above, then you have somewhere to start.

Failing that - just follow the wires from your clock. Follow them back through your loom and you will find the problem. Test any junction/joins with a test light (making sure you have either the doors open or the interior switch set to "on", to ensure the light is getting power). Is the clock normally on constantly? If it requires the accesories or ignition to be on, then do so.

Just trace back through the existing wires and you should find that you will get power to the test light at some point.

Like i said, its not a definate answer, but you have to start getting a bit hands on and investigating it further. As from experience, these things are not hard to find.

When we installed my headunit. I found a light blue wire. It was in the plug of the old radio that was in my rolla. We tested it and it was the acessory wire. We had to cut it of the the plug to use it but when we found that wire, the clock and lights were still working. I'm going to have a look when i get home......and see if can trace anything

Ps my headunit is a Kenwood KDC 229 and also what is a dimmer wire...

KDC-129_KDC-129S_thn.jpg

a dimmer wire is the wire that controls the display on the front of the headunit....so you hook it to your dash lights, when it gets power the display on the front dims because you have your lights on.

you may have mistaken this wire for something else.....not sure.

its better for night driving, not having a big bright light shining in your face all the time is good.

well i took my dash of and followed the wires it was no use i seared the whole car looking for a wire that might be cut or damaged but to no avail. So unless any body has any more idea's. i think i might get an auto electrician to fix it..

Ps thanks for replying everbody.................... :D