My 93' Corolla From New Zealand

Kiwi-Corolla

Members dont see this ad
  • 5 weeks later...

I decided to splash out and buy this genuine TRD oil cap today. It was something I had been wanting for a while but couldn't justify spending the money on since all it really does compared to the stock one is sit there looking pretty, but now that I finally have the engine bay looking the way I wanted I figured that the cap would be a nice finishing touch :)

16300908_large.jpg

16300862_large.jpg

16300909_large.jpg

16300902_large.jpg

Edited by Kiwi-Corolla

I bought a small external microphone for my camera a few weeks ago, purely so I can record the sound of the trumpets by placing the microphone under the hood, and today I decided to make a quick video to test it out. It definitely sounds better than previous in-car footage I've taken with the camera's built-in mic, but it's quite a cheap/budget product so I may look at investing in a better quality microphone so it can capture the true sound the trumpets make during full acceleration, but for now this will do :)

Edited by Kiwi-Corolla

I came across some info online a couple of weeks ago about a few different people in Malaysia using a 6-speed ECU with their 5-speed Blacktops and noticing a slight increase in power/response, so when I stumbled across a 6-speed Blacktop ECU a few days ago for a good price I decided to test it out for myself.

The 6-speed ECU is meant to have better fuel mapping, better engine response, a raised rev limiter and a safety function which makes the engine idle up for a second when changing up or down a gear at a certain rpm, which helps to protect the 6-speed's synchro's and reduces driveline lash.

I swapped the ECU over today but before doing so took my car for a drive with the 5-speed ECU still fitted to see what my current rev limiter was before the engine would valve bounce. In 1st gear it was about 8,300rpm and in 2nd and 3rd gear it was 8,250rpm. After I installed the 6-speed ECU and went for a decent drive I tried it again and noticed that in all the gears I tested (1st, 2nd and 3rd) the rev limiter was now 8,500rpm. Prior to the swap I had heard that the 6-speed ECU would hit the limiter at 7,800rpm in 1st gear, but this wasn't the case in my experience (bearing in mind that I am however running the 5-speed C56 transmission).

The engine response does seem slightly quicker but nothing mind blowing, however the slightly increased rev limiter comes in handy when changing gear at high rpm as every little bit helps to keep it within the power band after shifting. The 6-speed ECU is also meant to be a bit more economical on fuel but I haven't been able to test that as of yet.

All in all it does have it's advantages over the 5-speed ECU and for the price I paid it was certainly worth it :)

These are some photos I took before the swap, with the 5-speed ECU on the left and the 6-speed ECU on the right:

IMG_6087-resized.jpg

IMG_6089-resized1.jpg

Hey mate, never been a big fan of the newer corollas, but yours is really nice and I couldn't help but say nice job!

Did they ever make a rear roof sun guard/spoiler thing for these? I've seen them on chasers. Could look cool, just my opinion tho.

Keep it up! Awesome car

Ty

Hey mate, never been a big fan of the newer corollas, but yours is really nice and I couldn't help but say nice job!

Did they ever make a rear roof sun guard/spoiler thing for these? I've seen them on chasers. Could look cool, just my opinion tho.

Keep it up! Awesome car

Ty

Thanks a lot for the compliment mate! Great to hear that you're a fan of my work so far :D. I have seen one rear window visor in the past which looked to be factory but it was pretty ugly. There are slim-line aftermarket ones available however which I looked into not so long ago. If I can find one in black that only slightly pokes out I think it would compliment the car nicely. The only downside is that I'd have to order one from overseas, so would have to to cross my fingers that it arrives in one piece :laff:

Sure did, although in Aus they were mostly dealer-fitted I believe, and the rather large ungainly ones (quite possibly just an Aunger one with a Toyota logo on it)

Edited by Hiro Protagonist