Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

offtopic but what the hell

You need a control mass. Then you calculate the acceleration using a light gate (like in a scroll mouse). Then you can start working out figures from that. I'm sure there must be programs like that.

Scaled up version of this Mini Dyno

Built one of these long ago

Edited by Jason

I did a little sketch of what i want mine to look like....i'm thinking of raising it off the ground about 60cm. Mainly for ease of working on the engine if there is problems with it.

The clubs one would have to be made on the ground if it were to go into a tralier.

I'm going to try and start on mine this weekend....i'll let you guys know how i go....btw my dads a carpenter =).....so he will probably have some good ideas up his sleeve too.

PS. I have a running 5K (running 6 months ago when it was taken out) out the back that we can put straight onto the stand :D

also....thinking of just welding some pipe onto the some standard engine pipes...then just adding a muffler i also have out the back.....so its not the full length of the exhaust system....probably go with: Exhaust manifold -> Engine pipes -> 1 foot of pipe -> muffler.

Edited by Xany

they say a 90 degree bend of pipe is equal to about three meters of exhaust restriction, so if you put say a ~1-foot diameter press bend into the pipe, you could have an exhaust which was more or less as restrictive as stock

very dodgy chop attached. notice black droopy tip :D

Xany, the stand I built out of hardwood planks measures just 900mm wide by 1700mm long.

It could well be a bit shorter, as it is only 1400 to 1500mm to the rear end of the g/box from the front.

Even as it stands now, it will easily fit into a 6 x 4 box trailer.

Here a couple more pics below, of more detail that might help you. I think you are in Brisbane northside, but if you want to have a look at the stand, your welcome to call by & have a look. I'm down at Greenbank (southside).

The only thing I had to buy that I didn't have lying around from a donor car was a front crossmember, which 78 Rolla at Ipswich sold me a good KE70 one for $ 10 or $ 20, and an accelerator cable which I got on eBay for $ 12.00. All the rest came from the junk box. Oh, and a tin of black fence paint.

The two supports for the radiator remove easily so that complete access to the front of the engine is possible

If you have any queries, or want some more detailed pictures, just give me a yell.

DSCF0336-vi.jpg

DSCF0337-vi.jpg

DSCF0370-vi.jpg

DSCF0353-vi.jpg

DSCF0338-vi.jpg

DSCF0342-vi.jpg

My six (6) year old wants to know when I am going to put the wheels & seat on it, so we can drive it.

:D

i was wondering how you hooked up the ignition?.....i've thought about it a bit and could do it my way.....just wondering how you did it.

also...do you use the stock fuel pump or an eletric one on the stand somewhere?

Hi Simon ! The ignition is quite straight forward. The 5K has an electronic dizzy on it, with internal ignitor. It just has two wires coming out of it. The one with a red stripe on it is +ve, and goes to the coil +ve & the IGN terminal on the starter switch. The other wire goes to the coil -ve. I didn't have a spare ignition barrel / starter switch lying around with keys, but got a generic one from Auto Pro which has ACC, OFF, IGN, START just like any normal starter switch.

Here is a rough sketch of the way I wired up my test bed. It works perfectly.

KSeriesTestBedWiring-vi.jpg

I was also thinking about an electric pump, but opted in the end to use the standard mechanical one on the 5K engine. The fuel tank is one of those plastic 5 litre spare fuel containers you get from SuperCheap for $ 14.00. You can see it in the sixth pic above. Actually I pinched mine, from my better halfs car boot, but don't tell her; she hasn't missed it yet.

About 2 meters of rubber fuel hose along the inside of the side bearer & she is sweet. I drilled a hole in the lid of the fuel container, so that hose is tight. A

$ 2.00 fuel filter allows the fuel container/tank to breath.

Any other questions Simon, just give me a yell.

:D

Edited by Banjo

hey hey!

Saturday i decided to start on trying to make one of these.....with a bit of dads help we found a nice long length of metal that was just right.....i found out some measurements that i needed and then marked it all out and cut it all to size :P

Now to get everything right i decided to get one of the engine blocks from out the back, an old gearbox and set it up on the stand to see if the exhaust would fit and also to see where the gearbox mount had to be. Welded the gearbox mount on and thats about as far as i got....its looking good so far.

post-13-1122822489.jpg

Edited by Xany