1972 Lj Torana

orangeLJ

• 4 months later...
Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got stuck back into this on the weekend. Started off by dragging the rusty 4 door from my backyard onto the trailer.

It still has a running 186 in the bay, so I stripped the inlet and extractors off, re--fitted the front stubs and wheels, put some air in the tyres and winched it onto the trailer.

As my dad doesnt have his workshop anymore, and no 3 phase at his house or mine to run the tube bender, we have been using a friends workshop to do a few things here and there. In good company though-

2012-03-11_15-29-44_950.jpg

5 "production car" style V8 racecars, a sprintcar or two and a wingless, plus every tool, bolt, fastener and metal machining gear you can need, complemented by our pipe bender! haha.

The old boy has been friends with them for 20+ years and built all the cages in the racecars as well as the exhaust and extractors for those and the sprintcars. They are basically like family! so when they asked if we wanted somewhere to do this sort of stuff we were over the moon!

anyway, not many photos of the early bits, but this is with the primaries almost complete-

2012-03-11_15-22-24_914.jpg

The main idea was to take the layout of HM9c pipes (widely regarded as the best off the shelf pipes availalbe), improve the angle out of the head, go one step larger on the primary size than the HM9s (slightly less "race" version of the HM9cs) (what we have already) and improve their fitment in LC/LJ (no floor bashing or clearancing) We spent about 4-5 hours yesterday (including lunch break, repairing the chain on the bender and general farting about)

2012-03-11_21-00-55_567.jpg

Got as far as the 2>1 collectors for the primary pipes. That last shot is after I pulled them off, took them home and trialed them on my car. Its VERY surprising how different things are from car to car. They fit, but are further away from some things and closer to others, nothing has to change though (which is a relief!)

Surprisingly, these will give MORE starter clearance than the old, very restrictive pipes! at this stage I'm contemplating making them multi-piece (slip joins for the secondaries) to make removal and refit easier. I'll put it together with them uncoated, have the tune etc done, get a few heat cycles through them, and then send them off to be ceramic chrome coated :)

Thanks man.

you can sort of see how poor the run of the mill extractors are at the port (departure angle out of the head) in this photo with my old pipes-

IMG_8668copy.jpg

obviously most manifolds (especially single carby, and short triple manifolds) don't leave head of clearance hence the shitty angles of off the shelf- "one size fits all" type pipes.

I can't wait to finish them, file finish them, linish, then eventually ceramic coat them!

going to look ʞ©$ɟing awesome!

I'm getting the inlet manifolds ceramic coated in black (same theme as before, but the old ones were only painted)

Edited by orangeLJ

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks!

special car for a spethal person? haha.

Ive got a video of the first startup that I need to downsize, heaps of photos too!

now I just need to sort the brakes then its dyno time (hooray.... more hours spend drilling jets, swapping emulsion tubes etc etc etc lol)

It was only ever meant to be a "quick" build up to replace my daily at the time (95 charade on 15x8s :blush: was a fun little car)

:lolcry: :lolcry: :lolcry:

I don't get it.....I'm by no means a huge fan of Holdens & I usually dislike carburettors, yet I'm sitting here nursing a bruised jaw from it hitting the floor so much, amidst a puddle of drool. :wink:

Awesome work man (& good stuff to everyone else involved with your car :y: ), all the time & hard work really shows up in the end result.

Thanks guys!

Well, I was tinkering with cars from around 12, bought a $350 95 charade at 15 as a first car, got my L's, bought the torana for $1000 from the wreckers (was a rust free shell, rod out the side of the block etc)

The charade was only ever meant to be a learner car, something small, manual and cheap. (BTW, I sold it once I got my VK Calais, paid $150 for the commo, sold the charade for $4500! lol)

Started to cleanthe torana up, quick engine build, downdraught falcon weber, suspension rebuild and a quick slap of paint and new carpet....

Well, once the paint turned out better than expected, and once I took a big interest in doing things myself, we kind of kept going!

That was 8 years ago now... haha. only took 7 months from start to registration originally!

Then came a raft of other changes, triple SU's, interior changes etc etc.

Ive been through a heap of dailies over the years, but the torana will always be my toy!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...