Tiking Sound

KE70_Rolla

Can someone please tell me what is wrong with my 4KC, if I put more than half throttle down to try to catch up to traffic or to go faster off the lights I hear a ticking sound or something like that. The noise itself is kind of hard to hear over the diff and the driveshaft but it is there, my dad said he couldn't hear it so don't worry about it, it has me worrying though because I don't want to have to buy a new engine for it yet, I'm not ready to upgrade yet and I need a working car to get to and from work.

Someone please help, the ticking noise has me worried about my KE70.

Further info, it's a 1981 KE70 Corolla. Stock standard everything, with a 4KC engine.

Members dont see this ad

All I know is that the noise was not there before my dad dropped the idle while I was at work, then it started making the noises, nah I don't think it is pinging, I know when it's pinging and it does it at idle and no matter how far the throttle is down. Not the exhaust or anything do do with that, it has not been touched since I got it.

Could be I have to reset the gap (whatever that is), might be the points, could be the timing, but I think it has something to do with my dad adjusting the idle, my mate also adjusted the a/f mixture a while ago to bring the idle down, didn't work though, could that be it ?

Don't have a stereo because I lent my cd player to a friend, she gave the car back to her dad with my cd player in it and hasn't gone down to get it in 2 weeks, so no music.

If they are Repco pistons in a stocko motor than that will mean that Toyota are a bunch of cheap arse bastards, also means that the corolla series are as shit as Toyota, some how I don't think that is true, unless you are jealous of something that someone has but you don't and it's what you want. I prefer Mazda's and Nissan's to my slow piece of shit 1.3 KE70 but it'll do for now until I can afford to put a Nissan motor into it.

Next time if you don't have anything nice to say, shut your mouth and don't say anything at all.

Edited by KE70_Rolla

sometime in the mid 70s, toyota stopped importing corollas from japan, and started assembling them locally, using local parts. this is why ke55s and ke70s in australia have australian borg warner diffs, but the rest of the world retained the japanese-style front loader diff

aus-assembled 4k engines are usually equipped with pistons manufactured by repco, branded both "toyota" and "repco" on the underside of the piston, and when one of these engines dies of natural causes, it's usually because the crown of the piston is separating from the skirt. and it sounds like an intermittent loud tick

or alot of loud ticking if you have more than one cracked piston

Next time if you don't have anything nice to say, shut your mouth and don't say anything at all.

i wonder who that was aimed at????

i thought everyone gave good advice.

maybe he just didn't like what he was been told, oh well let his old man fix the problem then, after all he's the one who apparently caused it.