My 1988 Vl Sl Turbo

LXY-642

What does the auto changing gears have to do with a bov, A bov only vents when the throttle is closed and a properly setup turbo auto will overdrive the auto so it is basically not changing engine speeds, listen to turbo drag cars that run 2 speed powerglides and you will notice that they sound like there is no gear change.

Maybe do some research perhaps...

i have a 5000rpm convertor in my car and i can tell you that the rpm changes when the gears change and the boost level as well i have alot of mates

with turbo cars some run bov some don't but you just gave your self the answer when you said the bov vent to atmosphere when this happen's

the turbo keeps spining and when you don't have one all the air rushes back from the trottle body closing and hits the turbo blades and stops them

dead and that's what cost time on the strip an yes it's not that bad with an auto but i think you need to do some research as i just do testing with real car's

under real condition's at the dragway with mate's and an engine tuner so if you want to listen to car's that's fine i will be the guy driving the car's you listen to.

i rang the engine tuner with the f1 stuff he had to give the folder back so no help there..

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have a 5000rpm convertor in my car and i can tell you that the rpm changes when the gears change and the boost level as well i have alot of mates

with turbo cars some run bov some don't but you just gave your self the answer when you said the bov vent to atmosphere when this happen's

the turbo keeps spining and when you don't have one all the air rushes back from the trottle body closing and hits the turbo blades and stops them

dead and that's what cost time on the strip an yes it's not that bad with an auto but i think you need to do some research as i just do testing with real car's

under real condition's at the dragway with mate's and an engine tuner so if you want to listen to car's that's fine i will be the guy driving the car's you listen to.

i rang the engine tuner with the f1 stuff he had to give the folder back so no help there..

HAHAHAHA, You have no idea of what i have done then have you and there is still no proof of flutter damaging turbo's.

Take a look at a JETT Racing 1200 ute pass, The rpm deflects approx 500rpm when shifting:

BTW this is another turbo auto I am currently working on:

post-1373-1277957216_thumb.jpg

post-1373-1277957278_thumb.jpg

post-1373-1277957270_thumb.jpg

No BOV's or intercooler, straight turbo to manifold running on methanol.

And I used to build turbo systems for nissan's and helped build the shop car where I used to work which had over 600hp at the wheels.

Trev's Custom Fabrication - Signature Performance

Edited by Trev

did you miss the bit where i said cheap turbo's and the part where i said you don't have to run one and the part where i said it not that bad with auto's

look trev i don't want to get caught up in what you think work's and what i think work's but as i said i only give option not answer's if you think

i am wrong that's all right you can think what you want i am going by what ive seen not what i was told every one has there own way of doing

thing's and people can make there own mind's up for reading every part of the post and when you are making big horsepower you wont notice

it, at the end of the day factory car's run bov to help the turbo last longer not so much for power and when i run a bov on an auto it is to prolong the

life of the turbo.

trev i want to no what you think about cylinder pulsing and the affect it has on the turbine as i am just starting to read up on it and i see you make manifolds

and want to know what you think thank's.

Edited by rb20 rolla

ason i should of said at 80,000rpm the air pumping through it trys to make the sharft spin backwards it does stop the turbine dead in it's track's

No. It will load the compressor (try to stall), hence damage, but where is this 'reverse' air coming from to turn it backwards?

Please read into turbo theory.

Edited by Jason

No. It will load the compressor (try to stall), hence damage, but where is this 'reverse' air coming from to turn it backwards?

Please read into turbo theory.

please read the post better i said TRY not will and this is not my thread and i don't want to piss off wpn36 so no more please.

theory is not fact and once again i only offer option's not answer's...

WOW that sparked a bit of discussion haha

I use a name brand turbo and fairly low boost compared to most piston set-ups. Whether you run a BOV or not doesnt really matter IMO and can be argued either way till the cows come home. The Pssttt doesnt really appeal to me, or the boys in blue so i don't run one. Never had any problems

CAI is always gd, i simply run an intake pipe to my K&N filter which is in DIRECT airflow from the front. For my application i didnt see the need for a box, in your case it probably helps with the CAI. Parts look quality, always nice to have the car set-up so it wouldnt be hard to re-rego it too

Cheers

i am glad you don't mind.

this is why people should not reply with an answer like you are wrong just reply that you have a different idea on how that work's as you can give people more options on the subject.

if you get alot of people disagreing with what you said then you might change your mind i have pull out some notes i have of when i was starting out

with turbo's and i have to eat me word's a little on the auto and a bov as it is only turbo life that you should run one for and big horse power car won't

be affected like low horsepower manual cars but like you said it's a choice i like the flutter but nissan run the bov from factory so i left it there.

are you still going to run e85 it should help with the emissions test and by the way do you have to pay for an emissions test to be done i heard

that down in mexico that it is up to $3000 to be done.

trev i am sorry i only just relised what i said about the auto and bov between gear changes you are right i read it wrong so sorry.....

Edited by rb20 rolla